Sudden Reactive Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Oct 2, 2015.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I read that people get reactive t at the beginning but I'm 4 years in and now have reactive hissing.
      Any clue what would be the cause of this sudden change?
      Is this likely to get better (it hadn't for the past 3 months)?
      Having t is bad but this is another beast:(

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I do appreciate "huggs" but can anyone relate to this sudden reactiveness???

3. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Valeri,

I've had reactive T since day one. My head hisses like a pit of vipers, on top of a high pitched ringing or whistle. Certain noises and sounds can cause it to spike. Just keep track of things that aggravate your T and try to avoid them. For me, just living and breathing aggravates my T. It sucks! }:-(

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Looks like I will need to avoid living all together:(

5. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Might be my next vacation! Only need a one way ticket! };-)

Hang in luv, Autifony shows some promise.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Autifony even if successful won't be out for another few years at least.
      I just can't have my hope up that high.
      Sorry for being so negative, I've just had enough:(

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Mine has developed into more reactive T also. You're not the only one. I think it is more common at the beginning, but T is such an unpredictable beast.

You and I have very similar T. Mine sounds more like cicadas, but occasionally the cicada sound gets more diffuse and then it becomes a snake pit. I even put a cicadas and a snake pit sound effect on my iPhone so I could play it for people who don't understand how bad tinnitus can actually be.

http://www.soundsnap.com/search/audio/snake+pit/score
      http://www.soundsnap.com/search/audio/summer+cicadas+singing/score

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Cheza
      Thank you for those sounds, finally I was able to tell my husband what I hear.
      Those noises are bad on their own but once they start reacting/competing with noises around me I'm a goner:(

Is this the one being reactive for you too and you @Sailboardman?

9. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Have to say that this sound is mild compared to mine!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Turn the volume up:)

11. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Mine is a one high pitched sound that is now louder than anything else i listen to...

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Actually, cicadas mask my T perfectly. If I'm outside at night with cicadas, I don't even hear my T. So stepping in and out of my house, is like an on/off switch.

Waves at the beach, use to mask my T, but now aggravate it. That changed a few months ago. My high pitched sound has softened a bit, but not everyday. I use Vinpocetine and NAC, 3 times a day, which helps.

T sucks, because it varies everyday. I have had some low days, but never two in a row. Micro managing this thing, is a pain in the ass. It's never off my mind for one second! It's done it's damage.

13. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I downloaded those sounds because I was tired of people telling me, "Oh, it's only a little buzz, you'll get used to it." Now when I play those sounds for them, they draw back in horror. I'm not trying to overdramatize my situation, just want them to understand that my tinnitus isn't just a little buzz or hum that only appears in quiet surroundings.

The cicada tones are the reactive ones. I take deep breaths when it starts ramping up, and tell myself the noise can settle down. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Good to know that your husband cares enough to try to empathize with what you're going through. For a genuine experience, put the file on repeat play on his iPhone and have him listen to it for a solid week. Most people would run screaming for the hills :eek:

14. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Those sounds don't bother me at all, my T is horrendous in comparison to this. The noise I hear is shrill hurts my ears and head. That noise is slightly annoying but fairly smooth and easy on the ears.

If this is how most T is, it's no wonder people cope better than I do. I turned both samples way up and really didn't have a issue with them at all. I worry when I hear samples like this, I feel like I have something totally different than 99 percent of T sufferers out there.

15. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi telis,
      For some people their ears are way to loud and need the extra help.
      My ears blast 24/7 and never let up due to Menieres.

How do I cope......
      I now have to wear duel hearing aids to help take the edge off it by amplifying external sounds .
      Im quite a positive bubbly person but I was at a point where If I had a choice of having this sever tinnitus or going deaf I would have chosen deaf ( I know deaf people can have tinnitus but going by if you didnt )
      My hearing aids have been a god send to me after Menieres Disease caused all my ear problems.
      So I understand totally that people need the extra help like - CBT,TRT,maskers and hearing aids....I have devoted my life supporting tinnitus suffers.....lots of love glynis

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Telis

I don't mind those sounds either but once they start reacting it's s different story, they become sharper in quality and my ears feel like being cut with razors.
      On good days (what is that??) I couldn't care less about this thing hissing away, reactive part is what bothers me.
      I'm off course not saying that you don't have it even worse, one thing is for sure, it's living hell!!!!

17. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Your T is definitely worse. Nails on a blackboard kind of worse.

My baseline T is what you hear in those samples, but it has more of a metallic and oscillating nature. Also, you're hearing the sound files with your ears, but they're central head noise for me. If it were only in my ears, I could mask them. As is, I hear it over everything, except the shower.

I get other noises, too, but thankfully they don't last more than a day or two. I couldn't live with them long-term, no way.