Superoxide Produced in the Cochlea of Inner Ears Causes Acquired Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Lukee, May 27, 2021.

1. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      Fresh off the press:

Superoxide produced in the cochlea of inner ears causes acquired hearing loss

Upon investigating superoxide there are many posts that mention it on Tinnitus Talk. Laser therapies claim to be able to reduce super oxide and the beloved Danny Boy also posted about Immortality Tea that is able to reduce superoxide by increasing the body’s own superoxide dismutase (SOD).

I don’t think it can reverse damage but it’s possible that a perpetual release of superoxide in the inner ear is what keeps the ear from regenerating or keeps it progressively getting worse.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Too much of a good thing. Vitamin E and C are both pretty good at free radical scavenging for lipids and cytosol respectively. Sure NAC and supplements work, but these do as well and are plentiful in citrus and eggs, plus end up being cheaper.

Part of me thinks I never worsened due to barotrauma, but due to oxygen toxicity (literally murdered neurons or membranes).

3. mohn

mohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Great research article - looks like a treatment for hearing loss might happen in a few years.

Question though - why is the ear producing superoxide? Is that part of an anti-inflammation strategy of the ear?

• Good Question Good Question x 1