Supplements to Protect My Hearing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by IAmCalifornia, Jul 29, 2017.

1. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      There seems to be plenty of threads, individual ones, about supplements.

But what I am wondering, is what supplements can I take to protect my hearing from here on out.

Obviously, I have musician pro level earplugs which I use when I go to some kind of social event.

But I want to take precautions here and start supplementing it up.

I'm reading about all sorts of stuff here, NAC, magnesium, etc., etc., but if anyone with a serious level of knowledge can let me know exactly which ones are the best to protect my hearing, like a small list, that would be beneficial to myself and I would appreciate that very very much.

Thank you. Sorry if I ramble.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. chef

chef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, most likely stress or ssri, xanax med, alcohol
      I asked my ENT the same thing. He told me about Arches Tinnitus Formula. Not endorsing it in any way, i didn't take it. He said it was kinda like a full buffet of anything that could possibly help the ear in any way wrapped up in a little pill. But as for anything specific all he gave me was about the same you know about.
      For anything specific, instead of supplements, look into foods that help. There is still conflicting evidence that goes back and forth about how supplements are digested and moved through the body. When it comes to food, heat usually destroys many nutrients and vitamins, so be careful as to that as well.

3. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I think the only supplement to protect hearing are a good set of ear plugs and use them when necessary. And by that I don't imply that you should over protect.

4. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have to agree with @Ambassador . I think the science on supplements is sketchy at best. It is far too easy for supplement companies to make claims that are not backed by through scientific studies. And, the FDA has little to no control over the supplement market.

That being said, as long as what you are taking is not harmful (many supplements are potentially harmful) then, as long as they can't hut you, it can't hurt to try them. Perhaps the may help, either through actual helping or the placebo effect. So, if your doctor recommends it, give it a try. But I would seek the advice of a professional and not put your health or hearing in the hands of random people on the internet (realizing that I am just a random person on the internet as well).