Taking Tramadol, Mirtazapine and Zapain — I'm Sure These Are Spiking My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Daveyboy, May 14, 2018.

1. Daveyboy

Daveyboy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      car accident
      Hi everyone,
      This is my first post, my GP has got me on Tramadol, Mirtazapine, Zapain.

I am sure that these are heightening my Tinnitus, does anyone have any comments on this?

2. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      Sertraline AD has made my existing T much louder and now in both ears.
      Eve
      @Daveyboy

3. PaulaO

PaulaO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Tramadol - several sources say may be a side effect but not overly common
      Mirtazapine - is used as treatment for tinnitus
      Zapain - can cause hearing loss (seems to be totally random on who this hits) but I couldn't find where it caused tinnitus

Your best bet is to discuss this with your pharmacist. Even if you go to a big box for your medications, the pharmacist should be more than willing to sit down with you and go over them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Anselmo

Anselmo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      @Daveyboy: If I were you, I would lose the tramadol & the zapain. As @PaulaO said, mirtazapine is for the treatment of tinnitus. I take 7.5 mg of this medication at night, and it works for me. Sleep right through the night, and if I do wake up to use the bathroom and such, I’m able to go right to back to sleep. And it lessoned my tinnitus from severe to moderate. I don’t how many mg you take, but less is more with this drug. As PaulaO said, speak with your pharmacist, or see a shrink. GP’s are clueless. Tramadol is horrible painkiller imo. I know mirtazapine doesn’t work for everyone, but it works for me, and that is all I can go by. Good luck.

5. Anselmo

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      @Daveyboy:This crazy G.P. has you on two painkillers, tramadol & zapain. Zapain is 30mg codeine, and something called paracetamol. I don’t even want to speculate what the heck that is? Two painkillers and an antidepressant. He probably has you on 45mg of mirtazapine. That is just about the highest dose of this drug, and is for severe depression. This clown is a writer of the worst kind. As David Burn of the Talking Heads would say, “run, run, run, run, run, run, run away.

6. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I wonder if it is the antihistamine effect of the Tramadol and Remeron. I believe both work on the H1 receptor. As far as the Zapain is concerned, I'm not too familiar with that drug to be able to help.

7. Nicola8478

Nicola8478 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      I’m on 30mg of Mirtazapine and 1mg of Lorazepam twice a day at the moment. Not the best but I feel like I don’t have a choice at the moment as it’s either that or back on the ward or worse I’m afraid. Between a rock and a very hard place

8. PaulaO

PaulaO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Paracetamol is UK/EU for acetaminophen/Tylenol.

9. Anselmo

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      @PaulaO : Even worse. I didn’t look it up, since I was so bewildered by that point. 500 mg. That is way over the recommended dosage for a day.