Teeth Clenching and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nathalie, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Nathalie
      Sad

Nathalie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My high frequency tinnitus gets louder when I clench my teeth. Any ideas why? If it is modifiable, is there a chance for a cause to eliminate so that the tinnitus will dissipate as well?

2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Nathalie,

Sounds like you should make an appointment with an oral surgeon for a TMJ/bruxism investigation.

• Like Like x 1
    3. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I think this is very common.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Very common. I thought there was something related too but talked to several doctors who all said it was not a correlation and they had the same reaction when they clenched their teeth

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Insane sinus congestion/TMJ/mold allergy/dog bark??????
      Sometimes when I clench my teeth it modulates some of my T sounds. Same when I open my mouth wide.

I do have some TMJ symptoms. The best I can do is get x-rays to confirm it at my next dentist visit. I can't afford any treatment. I have an overbite, and several crooked teeth from sucking my thumb as a child and not letting my parents pull my teeth. I'd really love to get Orthodontics to fix my bite. (I noticed when I rest my teeth normally, my jaw does shift slightly to fit into the teeth). But even if I could afford it, i'm very afraid it might make my TMJD symptoms irreversibly worse.

6. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      mmmm this TMJ thing .......I have never ever seen anyone on any forum say fixing their TMJ cured their T and I have got MRI confirmed TMJ I have had Bite Plates I have had 12ks worth of teeth work ,still have TMJ still have Tinnitus

TMJ is not easy to fix and if you go down that road be prepared for heartache and lots of money

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. dfw
      Cool

dfw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sports arena
      I've had TMJ problems off & on for years. Most of the time with relaxation & some easy exercises it settles down. Flare ups, for me, last about 2-6 weeks.
      I would definitely stay away from realigning your teeth, injections or surgery. I have never heard any good stories of these "fixes". But.....just do your homework and make an informed decision.

8. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Somatosensory. There are cross connections which develop in seemingly unrelated structures in response to the condition of tinnitus, and making certain head and neck movements can activate the sound. Look at the work of Dr. Susan Shore for a more complete explanation.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Agreed! because it is very very unlikely that TMJ/TMD treated will affect what is already produced in your brain. Most people with T can affect it by moving jaws, pushing on their faces in various spots, clenching teeth or even blinking hard--- its pretty normal in the normal realm of T

10. Tyler Montgomery
      Spaced

Tyler Montgomery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum from hard blow to the head.
      One of my frequencies goes away completely when I clench my teeth really hard.