Telephones and Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jaeku., Mar 18, 2014.

1. Jaeku.

Jaeku. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Reading this forum of you knowledgeable and supportive people, I have surmised that it was the over exposure to noise and the over use of ear plugs that caused my H. I wore plugs six days a week off and on. While at work and at band practice on the weekend. I was cutting metal with a trim saw up close over this past summer with ear plugs and this seemed to to be the first thing to cause my H.
      Phones speaker sets off my H. This became noticeable about 4 months ago after talking allot on my cell phone. I switched over to ear buds (beats), however after a few month those proved problematic.
      My questions are, 1. Can any of you recommend a doctor that might offer some help on this.
      2. Is there any method of getting around this so I can talk on the phone, for example use of a hearing aid to perhaps alter the frequencies of the phone (That question recently posed to my audiologist).
      3. I guess it makes sense to just text and email for a while until my ears desensitize.
      I just went four days in a row with no ear plugs at all. The only thing that was a problematic was the phone with and without speaker phone.

2. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      I found that holding the phone away from my ear rather than right against my ear did help a little. The amount of time I spent on the phone also had a bearing. My hyperacusis resolved itself over a period of time and the phone isn't a problem now. I sometimes found that the voice on the other end also had a small bearing. I use earmuffs when I'm using power tools. I find earplugs uncomfortable unless they are a quality brand like etymotic and the cheaper ones sometimes tend to work themselves loose.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaeku.

Jaeku. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks for that. I will keep that in mind. I hope that I can provide positive support like that for others.