Testosterone and Tinnitus — Myelin Sheath / Nerves

Discussion in 'Research News' started by melbournejeremy, Sep 9, 2018.

1. melbournejeremy
      Wtf

melbournejeremy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/12/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys,

I know some people out there are into the science behind tinnitus beyond the usual 'loud noise exposure' reasoning you will get from most medicos.

The following is just something I observed and did a bit of research into. I don't think it has been mentioned or covered in any tinnitus treatments or discussions.

I was curious about testosterone and tinnitus from a nerve/bone/tissue regeneration standpoint. Since a lot of evidence points toward nerve cross-talk and the CNS picking up aberrant signals from surrounding nerves.

Obviously there are numerous reasons behind tinnitus and that's why everyone has their own description, symptoms etc. But a lot of somatosensory tinnitus might be related to myelin sheath and nerve damage from for example cervical spine degeneration etc. Anyway here is an interesting read about testosterone and myelin sheath regeneration.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5187716/

It is interesting to note that in figure S4, GABAa receptors are also affected by the metabolism of testosterone which as most people know GABA is a CNS relaxant and is related to hyperactivity (and loudness of tinnitus) of the CNS.

So I guess what I am getting at is that in both men and woman hormones like testosterone most likely play a role in regeneration of tissues. These hormones can also be easily suppressed by depression, diet and many other factors too.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Tinnitus can be caused by any form of hearing loss, from ear wax, middle ear damage, sensori-neural to central hearing loss. Higher brain functions compensate for a lack of peripheral input.
      upload_2018-8-9_14-0-52-png.png
      In cases of sensori neural hearing loss tinnitus is from the death of cochlear synaptic ribbons and hair cells and that's the most common way to get chronic tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Kratos
      Dreaming

Kratos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Stress
      This is very interesting, because I am the living example of what are you talking about. When I got tinnitus I had low testosterone from cutting to a very low body fat (~7%). Well I still have low testosterone from that, trying to recover gainning a lot of muscle/weight (started to train seriously again in June), takes a lot of time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Kratos, congratulations getting back in the gym. How bad is your T, does it decrease your passion for lifting and aerobics? I noticed your pre T days were October 2016.

I used to love going to the gym, finishing before day break. The quietness of the morning fueled me.

Now with intrusive T I don't tolerate this solitude and no longer have this workout routine or the passion for it. (Still, need to get back, whether i like it or not.)

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. Kratos
      Dreaming

Kratos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Stress
      Baseline 3~4/10, much louder in silence (I guess this happens to everybody) or when spiked, it changes a lot.

No, I'm habituated, my T no longer makes me feel bad at all. My main problem is ear pain in my left hear, I have constant mild pain on that ear and it increases for a couple of days if I'm exposed to anything over ~85 dB (this problem started when I did noisy stuff in the Fire Academy).

You have not been able to habituate in 18 years? damn that sucks, how loud is your T?

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm happy for you. Don't screw it up!

Re. the quotes above:

No, I was much like you, habituated over the years, small increases at a time every few years. (Thought I had it whipped.) It only took one loud blast to eliminate all those years of habituation and send my T through the roof. There isn't any "habituation' now, it's simply "acceptance". You have to accept the fact you are compromised and still be thankful for what you have. Masking and habituation still work but only in a partial way.

Please take my experience as an example of what could happen to you if you are not careful. (Noise from something like a rack of weights falling over at the gym or who knows. It takes a really loud noise which is rare but randomly and occasionally happens.)

Advice: "When you least expect it, expect it."

I was extremely careful and still it happened, no fault of my own. I have to tell myself it was meant to be. I was selfish and self seeking, now I'm not so much that way anymore, which I appreciate.

Sorry for rambling. Never before have I been able to talk about this significant part of my life. No one gives a hoot! haha

• Hug Hug x 3
    8. Kratos
      Dreaming

Kratos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Stress
      I already have "expertise" in the matter, I have had a gigazillion spikes and relapses before habituating. Luckily all my spikes come back to baseline.

• Like Like x 1
    9. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My baseline is horrible, spikes don't really make a difference, they're unavoidable. Causes nausea half the time, add a headache and it is pure inescapable misery.

I believe intrusive T affects the CNS. I believe in a brain gut axis that is disturbed by severe T causing digestive problems. When the body is constantly put on alert, food is not a priority, nor is digestion.

Sounds like you're a veteran sufferer. Glad you're back in the gym. I hope to get back there too. Thanks for the motivation!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      melbournejeremy
      Wtf

melbournejeremy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/12/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Kratos, I get huge spikes after gym work-outs. Head/Neck/Jaw movement produce this shrill with a kind of pulsatile ringing to it. That's why I was looking into the Testosterone part and regeneration from 20+ years of heavy lifting in the gym. I also had my Test levels done and they were low. I was considering HRT for a while to see if I can regenerate some of the long term damage to my joints/nerves etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      So more testosterone is better. Maybe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      Am I to understand the Cole's Notes version of this is that low testosterone equals louder tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      So women have louder T? =[

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    14. RMS316

RMS316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Greeting to this group. Last couple years I developed tinnitus. My testosterone levels have also been low. I work out quite a bit and, now after seeing a hormone physician, am on a testosterone creme to hopefully raise my levels to where they should be. I started this Oct. 1 and will get tested again in 30 days. I'll keep the thread updated on my Tinnitus progress while on the Testosterone Program.

• Like Like x 3
    15. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      What's the testosterone cream you're using?

16. RMS316

RMS316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I buy it from a Compounding Pharmacy. Has a 10% concentration and I use it once per day. Needs a script.

17. ReyKalinic

ReyKalinic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Triggered by TN 2004/05
      Interesting but I would not add an hormone in substitution of the normal production. Like for bodybuilders after a while the body may not produce it spontaneously. So I think it is better to be aware of it except for the person who discovers that they suffer of a deficiency.

The hypothalamus pituitary adrenal axis is very delicate. Btw it is not rare for males that suffer of major depressive disorder to show a low level of testosterone in the blood. Be careful.

• Useful Useful x 1
    18. RMS316

RMS316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m watching it very closely with my physician. My levels were quite low prior, well below normal levels. I have no depression whatsoever so that is not an issue.

19. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      Do keep us posted :)

20. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Interesting. Mi previous bout of T became super better when I started to take Finasteride for Hair Loss. Finasteride blocks de convertion of testosterone in DHT, so you have more free testosterone. It gave me very high libido. 2 years and half later I experienced ultra high libido and E.D so I leave the pills. Mi T did not change after leaving the drug and only came back with full force after a rock concert. Tinnitus world is horrible but the "Post finasteride syndrome world" is horrible too. Dont want those pills anymore. Maybe it was just coincidence. I will never know.

I have family and sexual sides could be problematic

21. Piperstark

Piperstark Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Testosterone implant
      I never had tinnitus until I had t implants. Now I have middle head tinnitus. It was so bad I didn’t sleep for two weeks and has never gone away. Injections were 8/20. And still my head is loud. Would not recommend for anyone.
      But I am a woman- maybe it did damage to my ears- don’t know.

• Hug Hug x 1