Testosterone and Tinnitus — Myelin Sheath / Nerves

Discussion in 'Research News' started by melbournejeremy, Sep 9, 2018.

1. melbournejeremy
      Wtf

melbournejeremy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/12/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys,

I know some people out there are into the science behind tinnitus beyond the usual 'loud noise exposure' reasoning you will get from most medicos.

The following is just something I observed and did a bit of research into. I don't think it has been mentioned or covered in any tinnitus treatments or discussions.

I was curious about testosterone and tinnitus from a nerve/bone/tissue regeneration standpoint. Since a lot of evidence points toward nerve cross-talk and the CNS picking up aberrant signals from surrounding nerves.

Obviously there are numerous reasons behind tinnitus and that's why everyone has their own description, symptoms etc. But a lot of somatosensory tinnitus might be related to myelin sheath and nerve damage from for example cervical spine degeneration etc.

Anyway here is an interesting read about testosterone and myelin sheath regeneration:

Unexpected central role of the androgen receptor in the spontaneous regeneration of myelin

It is interesting to note that in figure S4, GABAa receptors are also affected by the metabolism of testosterone which as most people know GABA is a CNS relaxant and is related to hyperactivity (and loudness of tinnitus) of the CNS.

So I guess what I am getting at is that in both men and woman hormones like testosterone most likely play a role in regeneration of tissues. These hormones can also be easily suppressed by depression, diet and many other factors too.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Kratos
      Dreaming

Kratos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Stress
      This is very interesting, because I am the living example of what are you talking about. When I got tinnitus I had low testosterone from cutting to a very low body fat (~7%). Well I still have low testosterone from that, trying to recover gainning a lot of muscle/weight (started to train seriously again in June), takes a lot of time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
    4. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Maybe there is a correlation. I developed the Post Finasteride Syndrome years ago. Fortunately the sexual sides are mild now (took nearly 2 years to get better) but tinnitus is very loud. Mine is from noise exposure anyway...

5. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      This is an interesting read. When I first got my tinnitus, I was very underweight from an eating disorder. I've always wondered if that contributed to me getting tinnitus and if it prevented my ears/brain from healing.

6. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      So is Testosterone therapy good or bad with tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. RMS316

RMS316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus started about 5 years ago. Also about 4 years ago, I started dosing Testosterone about 5 times per week for a low Testosterone condition. I also continue to work out 4-5 days per week. While I feel amazingly better, my tinnitus has not gone away. Interesting piece to read.

No idea if my low Testosterone had any relation to my onset of tinnitus. I know the Testosterone Replacement Therapy has not improved the condition.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      Most likely no effect per se - they are looking at the gamut of steroids also I presume.

• Like Like x 1