The Alpha-Stim — Transcutaneous Electrical Stimulation for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by ruben ruiz, May 12, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      didn't do anything useful for me.

anyone who happens to be in the DC area is welcome to borrow mine to try it out.

3. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did it help your anxiety or depression?

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't know that it did much of anything. I was a severe mess at that point though, dealing with the worst of benzo withdrawal.

It clearly does something, it made me feel weird -- but that made me skeptical that using it long term was really a good idea, "oh hey let's shoot electricity through my head based on sort of strange sounding science". It made me feel like I was on a boat.

5. soundmachine
      Buzzed

soundmachine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic + Ototoxicity
      There is a study at Harvard Medical School that low field magnetic stimulation (LFMS) may give immediate relief to depression. How it does that, I'm not sure they know.
      http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2014/07/new-treatment-for-depression-shows-immediate-results/
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24331545
      But this is a magnetic field, not a current going into the brain. Although, the net result of a magnetic field that fluctuates at a freq will be a current at the same freq in some part of the brain.

It could be that the part of the brain with over stimulated electrical activity from T would calm down. But I don't think I would trust this company.

I am hopeful for the Harvard study ...but if it can help with T might be a stretch (maybe indirectly by helping depression). I would prefer this over SSRIs and SNRIs any day. Drugs simply suck ass..full stop.

6. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ive restarted using the Alpha Stim. Firstly I use it at a lower level. Not at a level where you get dizzy. It helps anxiety. And if it helps anxiety it helps depression. Im not selling the dang thing. Im using it. They (Alpha-Stim) claim it can helps tinnitus. If the A - Stim does knock down the anxiety it can help with habituating.

7. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Just was wondering how you are getting along now with this Alph-Stim since it has been a while since you started using it...thank you