The ATA (American Tinnitus Association) and Texas Roadhouse Partnership to Raise Funds for Research

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Bruce NH USA, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Bruce NH USA

Bruce NH USA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1981; intolerable since 11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, then ototoxic vaccine booster (Moderna)
      Hello Friends,

I don't know if you all saw this, but the American Tinnitus Association and Texas Roadhouse are partnering up on an initiative to raise money for tinnitus research.

Now through the end of March, 10% of all gift card purchase revenue will be donated to the ATA, and on February 7th (National Tinnitus Awareness Day), 10% of all revenues from the chain combination wide, will be donated.

I figured this has to be nearly a million dollars, which hopefully can do some good.

• Like Like x 10
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Facebook claims 100 percent of profits today from dine in or take out orders at Texas Roadhouse will go to the ATA.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Hold the American Tinnitus Association to account. We don't want public donations going where they shouldn't.

The ATA received $733,984.

Half ($366,992) to go helpline and awareness.

$120,000 was awarded Dr. Campbell UoT.

$246,992 remains. Seeding for new research opened in November 2022. Has any of this remaining donation been allocated for research and, if so, where?

We must hold the ATA to account. Given the poultry $60,000 grants they traditionally give out, there is a lot of R & D potential here...

Let's start the year holding their feet to the fire!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Thanks very much for this report.

I recall that in one of their issues last year the ATA Magazine featured that obnoxious charlatan Julian Cowan Hill. If they can take him seriously (and surely pay him), then such an allocation of their funding indicates a lack of professionalism that makes them useless.

And why hasn't that $366,992.00 been allocated for finding a real treatment instead of what sounds like the same old shopworn, tiresome, blinkered CBT / TRT habituation "awareness" advice?

For F**k's sake, this is now 2023 and nothing new (that really works) has been introduced within the last 60 years.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 3
    5. NYCGuy
      Depressed

NYCGuy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck, Jaw or Stress, who knows.
      All that money will go to the garbage. The ATA has not done a single thing for us.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They did ban me from posting on their social media, then months later completely blocked me without telling me why. The only thing I can think of is someone asked how much money went to research and I shared concrete stats from their IRS filings. The organization is absolutely terrible.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    7. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Dine in or take out at your local Texas Roadhouse to support tinnitus research. 100% of profits will go to the ATA. Regardless of your feelings on the ATA, having a corporate sponsor for us is absolutely IMPERATIVE. Call Texas Roadhouse up and thank them so that they know they are appreciated.

Texas Roadhouse to donate 100% of its profits to American Tinnitus Association on Feb. 7
      Did you write to them? They banned me on social media I believe for essentially doing the same thing that you just did, just stating the facts.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    9. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      American Tinnitus Association elects Wayne State researcher as new chair

• Informative Informative x 2
    10. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Hum. So the Texas Roadhouse fundraiser money was for the ATA and said grant was given to one of the ATA Board of Directors, Stelios Dokianakis?

I loved fundraising efforts that are given to the tinnitus community in good faith. This does not seem morally right - although the efforts may help patients in the far future. Full disclosure is needed in my opinion.

From ATA's website as of today:
      EDIT:

Perhaps I was incorrect or my thoughts taken the wrong way.

I commend the efforts of the Texas Roadhouse to raise so much money in the name of their founder:
      It was a meaningful gift that I hope helped his family and friends left behind after his death.

I should have realized this before posting above. I know what it feels like to be chastised for giving such a donation in the name of a loved one who passed away, because the "s" word, is somehow not appropriate.

11. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      A further $925,000 has been raised by Bubba/Texas Roadhouse.

They must have around $2 million swilling around from the last 3 events.

• Informative Informative x 5