The BIG SILENCE at 10,000 ft.....Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zimichael, May 30, 2014.

1. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Some poet, or maybe it was John Muir, called the quiet of the deep mountains "The Ringing Silence" (which made me wonder if he had tinnitus?!). Anyway, I don't know if this happens to anyone else but when I go to truly big open spaces like the desert, or the High Sierra's, my super loud ringing T blends into this "ringing silence" more than anywhere else and the relief is fantastic. Of course, one of the reasons is that I am not getting triggered or spiked by the interaction with noisy humans and I can fully relax.
      It's sort of the opposite of the notch up in awareness I go through when in enclosed spaces, rooms, etc. and other people are around. The reflection of a louder sound is more likely to be intrusive or hurt me than the same level outside. So the mountains are like a "bigger outside".

After 25 years of back-packing in the California Sierra Nevada mountains and a commercial air traffic 'Jetways' map I have found and area that is blissfully free of intrusive noise from planes above, and this deep, deep silence sinks into my pores. It makes the coping with my T and H more bearable, and even the grueling 9 hour drive each way (quiet car!) makes it well worth it for a week. I highly recommended it to any outdoor types as rejuvenation for the "beaten up ear soul" that many of us suffer.

I think I can post a few photos (never done it before here - hope OK moderators) for those who can share it vicariously or sink into the imagination of the silence. I hope you can!

Take care, and may your ringing be distracted for a moment, if not a week!

Best, Zimichael

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    2. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Great Post Zimichael!! And a refreshing new encouragement! Your pics are fantastic and really make me want to plan a trip there!! Gorgeous! And I am intrigued by the "Ringing Silence" that environment offers! :)

Thanks or sharing and best to you!!

Jeff
      :rockingbanana:

3. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Great post. For me, I love the ringing silence (or maybe that's roaring silence) of the ocean. No mountains 10k feet around here, so sea level nature will have to do!

4. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Thanks for the pictures Zimicheal. That really looks high-up in mountains. Being outdoors seems to be best for my T too. One kind of forgets how big the great outdoors are, at least I do, until you'r make a trip and revisit. Any T relief is worth it. Have a great Summer.