The EarPopper Machine?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Emma, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Back alive you come, thread.
      I think this thing might help me clear the fluid in my middle ear from the middle ear infection. Anyone got one in Switzerland? lol...

There's also this thing called the Eustachi, which seems to the same thing?

Couldn't a guy just do the valsalva maneuver, and while the ears are pressurized, swallow water?

Or what about blowing up a balloon, putting some kinda plastic piece on it that directs air into the nose, and then pressurize the sinuses that way, and swallow? There ought to be a way!

2. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've got some fluid in my middle ear (self diagnosed), and I'm having some trouble equalising my left ear (I can't "pop" it and I've been having no trouble doing that ever up until now). I'm struggling with a cold / allergies, but don't feel all that congested in my sinuses.

I nearly blew a hole in my ear drum with the valsalva manoeuvre last night, so looking for other ideas!

It's not hugely annoying, but you know what it's like when you are hyper focused on your ears....

I'm going to see a doctor hopefully tomorrow (everyone closed for Christmas / New Year), but I've tried nasal spray, decongestant and just came across these on the internet: https://www.amazon.com/EarPopper-Home-Version-Summit-Medical/dp/B01MU03MER/

I'll go and see a doctor first as I'm concerned about an infection (no outward signs), but worth getting it checked.

Thanks for any advice!

Sam.

3. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      I wouldn’t recommend forcing your ears to pop in any way. A year ago I was obsessed with that and the valsalva maneuver damaged my ears... they should pop in time but if it’s been more than 1-2 weeks then you should see a doctor.

4. Agatha

Agatha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      EarPopper is much more gentle on the ears than the valsalva maneuver. And very effective.

5. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for that advice Zeneth. I came very close to damaging my left ear last night, scared the hell out of me. I got the ear to pop, but not fully, so had to keep doing it, ear let out a squealing sound and felt awful, like you'd have to do something about the pressure or you'd go mad.
      It settled down in 5 minutes or so, thank goodness.
      I am unwell with a cold/allergies, so I'm quite sure that it's got to do with swelling / congestion. There's no pressure in my ear at the moment anyway, so it's not irritating me and I don't feel the need to pop it.
      Mine pop all the time, when I swallow, yawn, open my mouth, always popping to the point of annoying, so it's strange to be having trouble with one ear.

Thanks Agatha. I'm going to try it if this doesn't clear in a week or so. I've been catastrophising that I might need tubes to drain the fluid and end up with worse tinnitus from the incision they'll have to put in my eardrum! Lol. Telling myself it most likely won't get to that point!

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      That has happened to me a few times, it's pressure in your ears being released in a bad way I think.

If you try this EarPopper thing, do let us know how it goes!

7. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I think the EarPopper is more effective if you swallow water while using it. It forces the air through your eustachian tubes and seals your windpipe.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I bought the Eustachi eustachian tube exerciser which I think is similar to the EarPopper. My ears crack a lot. I've used it today and it is hard for my left ear to pop, so I end up popping my right ear more. Is there a limit to the number of times used per day? Once an hour too much? I can get both of my ears to pop when I do the Valsalva maneuver, but I can't tell if they fully pop.

Will it make the tinnitus worse?

9. Mr Gee

Mr Gee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

I'd be careful using this machine. I purchased one a couple of years ago due to squelchy ears — which apparently is ETD.

I used it for a bit and literally one day I had awful tinnitus in my left ear. Two years later I still have awful tinnitus in ear.

I’ve recently been to an ENT and was told not to use it. So I’m not.