The EarPopper Machine?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Emma, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Emma

Emma Member

Tinnitus Since:
    2. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi all, well I bought one a couple of years ago.

Not cheap. What do I think, difficult to say. It gives you the same effect of holding your nose and blowing, you know that popping stuff.

It did not help me but that doesn't mean it wouldn't help you.

I believe my Eust. Tube issues come from TMJ problems so it would be ineffective for me.

3. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      hmmm... sounds scarey! ;)

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emma

Emma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      How so? Do you think it can injure ears? I belive it is actually used in the nosenot in the ear directly.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I just got an EarPopper today. Seems to work well and seems my tinnitus is down also. They would work great on an airplane along with EarPlanes and decongestants....maybe a little overkill.:)

6. Micky
      Dancing

Micky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 / 2000
      Yes and very expensive for a product that will not cure tinnitus.. Just another expensive product aimed at Tinnitus sufferers who are desperate for help..

• Like Like x 1
    7. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is actually for Eustachian tube dysfunction and not tinnitus, but if you have ETD contributing to your tinnitus, it is of some value I believe. My left Eustachian tube tends to plug up, especially on airplanes descending. Made by Summit Medical in Minnesota (my home state).

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Micky
      Dancing

Micky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 / 2000
      Hey @just1morething ...
      That's a very interesting link, thanks... Sometimes tinnitus can become exacerbated by ETD and that particular device I'm pretty sure would be of value... We need something like that for tinnitus... So simple really...

9. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Article I found today on ETD & Tinnitus:

At this point, there are two main tinnitus/Eustachian abnormalities that can occur here:
      1. If the Eustachian tube stays closed, as during inhalant allergy, head cold, or middle ear infection, the oxygen trapped in the middle ear cavity is soon absorbed into the mucosa, creating a vacuum. The ensuring vacuum causes the cavity to fill with mucous. If uninterrupted, it will continue to do so until the pressure can cause tympanic membrane perforation. It is that in-between state that presents varying types of possible objective tinnitus: roaring, buzzing, humming, heartbeat, and in some cases, spasm of the tensor tympani and/or venous hum (when the pressure on vascular structures and surrounding tissues become too great). All of this, of course, can be ascertained through tympanometry, otoscopy, and other diagnostic measures.

2. If the Eustachian stays open (Patulous) as from physical abnormality, one will likely experience another type of objective tinnitus: described as an ocean roar or hollow effect, like a sea shell. In some cases, other palatal and middle ear structures may be involved, bringing even more complex descriptions of tinnitus.

• Useful Useful x 1
    10. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      I had a routine audiology exam during which she did some other things besides test my hearing, and she said "everything looked normal." Should I assume that she was doing those diagnostic tests mentioned above (tympanometry, otoscopy, etc) to see if my eustachian tubes were okay?

11. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know. I am coming to believe that ETD is probably the cause of tinnitus for many of us (or at least exasperating it) but ENT's don't know that. I just don't think Nasonex, Flonase, etc. is clearing out the fluid well enough. That's is typically what they prescribe for tinnitus. Could possibly be allergy related also.

12. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      Has anyone tried Mucinex to reduce the fluid in the ears? I've used it when had pneumonia or bronchitis, it thins the mucous so the body can absorb it easily. I wonder if it would do the same for mucous in the middle ear?

13. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      The price of this is through the roof. Not sure what the Office Version is but it's $385 :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    15. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the EarPopper has been passed to a new generation of Americans–born in this century, tempered by tinnitus, disciplined by a hard and bitter noise, proud of our ancient quiet times–and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your EarPopper can do for you — ask what you can do for your EarPopper!

Sorry about that...I thought I was JFK for a minute :D Not funny I take it!:(

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. Cicada_Ears
      Bookworm

Cicada_Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2013
      The only way I got my ear to unclog last year was aggressive use of a Netti pot and ear irrigation. If I had it to do over, I would never have had ear irrigation. That is when this started.

17. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Has anyone tried the EarPopper? Have looked at it online for flying and it apparently gets the eustachian tube open when flying - but reading some reviews it has apparently helped tons of people with clogged ears and other problems. Have ordered it and will hopefully get here tomorrow. Even if it does nothing for my ears, at least I will have tried it. Who knows, it might actually work.

18. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Let me know if it works, I flew 14 hours from China to Toronto, and yes my ears did hurt, several days later I got the tinnitus, not sure if this caused it... let me know, much appreciated. Thanks.

19. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      I ordered it for the day before my flight so hope it gets here... Am taking many precautions anyway, but I would prefer to have that. Reading the reviews online it sounds amazing and greatly reduces pain when flying. I had pain anyway when I flew, regardless of tinnitus, so hopefully this will help. I will let you know.

20. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you. Hope it all works out, keeping my fingers crossed

21. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Thank you - I appreciate it. I am actually not too concerned about my tinnitus anymore, because now I have taken a Sudafed it has calmed down - I think. Will take another before I go to bed to see. Also from the stories I have read on the internet it is unlikely the tinnitus will increase - it's only if the ear gets damage, hence the protection.

22. MontmorencyTT

MontmorencyTT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1990 (very approx)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably ear infection. (Also led to HF hearing loss)
      Note that there is a cheaper device, called an Otovent, which does a similar job.
      Gets good reviews on Amazon, although with some cautions.

May be another option for some.

[I have no connection with Otovent or any other firm.]

23. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Did the EarPopper help you? I have been using one for my ETD problems and it's been a godsend.

24. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      What kind of symptoms has it helped if I may ask? I think I may have gotten ETD recently and have this annoying crackle sound when I swallow and such.

25. John G

John G Member

Thanks for the link. I just made one myself. Went to the dollar store, cost me 2 bux. Pack of balloons and one of those party blower things that make noise. I put that blower thing inside the end of the balloon. Seems to work the same way. I havnt used it much at all,cause I have an ENT appointment this week.

26. Onegin0

Onegin0 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      Just wanted to add that I've recently bought an EarPopper to help with ETD including tinnitus of varying severity, and found it very helpful. There's a sucking/rushing sound at times when I use it (when the middle ear feels really blocked) which I picture as air rushing down the suddenly opened ET, to relieve the negative pressure in the middle ear. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/EarPopper-Home-Version-Summit-Medical/dp/B01MU03MER/

27. Fairy
      Cool

Fairy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I bought this machine for ear infections in the ears. It did pop ears. I got tinnitus along with the flu. Was it worth money? No. I still have the clogged ears and tinnitus.

28. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I found out the EarPopper works much better if you swallow a bit of water while you have it on. It seals your windpipe and all the air goes through your Eustachian tubes.

29. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      What happens when water goes into eustachian tubes?

30. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You swallow the water. Only air goes into your Eustachian tubes.