The Efficacy of Auditory Perceptual Training for Tinnitus: A Systematic Review

Discussion in 'Research News' started by andyman, Nov 30, 2013.

1. andyman

andyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      andyman

andyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      From reading more about it, it's not clear whether it uses the same types of audio discrimination techniques that the studies talk about...

4. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Slightly different from what I see on the study at Nottingham. I'm not sure how these games are a help for tinnitus, other than just concentration on a task. They seem to be training to distinguish different sounds rather than any specific way to zone out tinnitus.

Still, the studies will progress and it will be interesting to see how they help.

5. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I have been thinking about this topic lately - are there games which people with T could play, which would help in rewiring the brain. I found this research:

http://www.hearing.nihr.ac.uk/research/auditory-games-for-tinnitus-benefit

Another example is the game 'Plasticity' which one T sufferer has made. You can try it here: http://plasticity.szynalski.com/

Anybody else interested in this topic? Do you know more examples? I personally think gaming / virtual reality and rewiring the brain because it's neuroplasticity makes a perfect combination for T relief.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I am interested in the idea. If we can use games to train the brain to do a variety of things, why not to learn to decrease tinnitus? Using all the senses that a game engages, with a reward incentive, sounds incredibly plausible.

Although I do think the games need to advance a lot further than those used in the study. Probably not a huge amount as some of the best, most addictive games are the old, relatively basic ones.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Ma78

Ma78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      An old thread but I thought I'd post my recent experiences.

I have been trying this game for 2 x 20 minutes each day for the last 7 days. My scores have been increasing whilst the intrusiveness has dropped noticeably. That last word is key... I've been dealing with high pitched T for 14 months now and know my old friend very well (I've tried everything from notched therapy to ketogenic diets.)

This game does seem to be making a difference whether it's placebo or rewiring.

I do suggest people give it another look and run your own trial for a week or two. I'll post a full report in a few weeks after I've completed one month.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1