The First Time You Didn't Hear Your Tinnitus (Even If Only For a Second)

Discussion in 'Support' started by caffclifton, Oct 20, 2014.

1. caffclifton
      Supportive

caffclifton Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrinthitis (Inner ear infection)
      Hi All,

So you may have seen I'm my posts I have habituated pretty quickly and can go for long period in the day where I don't hear my T. By that I mean It's still there ringing away but I'm so focused on something else my brain doesn't focus on it there for I don't hear it.

I would love to hear all your stories about when you had moments like this and how you felt, wad it a one off thing or did you find you didn't hear it more and more. I think sharing these stories may help newbies come to terms with living with T and might help them on the road to habituation.

I think my favourite memory is when I woke up and T wasn't the first thing i thought about. that was an AMAZING day, I didn't wake up feeling sick or worried hearing that horrible ringing I was just thinking about the day ahead. Now I cant remember the last time i woke yp and T was the first thing I thought about.

Newbies to T, where as medically your T may not get better, LIFE DOES :). I Cant wait to hear all your stories

Caff x

• Like Like x 3
    2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      Same here! Waking up on sunday, with the morning sun shining through the blinds......your body totally tension free and your mind still in the twilight zone. And T....just nog present something to worry about.

Riding my bike on the Lek dijk:
      lekdijk.png
      With my helmet on and my earplugs in T tends to be....well, uhm present! As soon as I start to brake, downshift corner and roll-on the throttle my mind just goes blank. Love to forget about T this way...:D

• Like Like x 5
    3. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      It's such an amazing feeling to not be able to hear it even for a second. Happened the other day for me then it got worse. :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Those periods of time when you don't notice it will become longer in duration as the process of your habituation progresses. Your quality of life will improve proportionately to the degree of your habituation. So, take heart, your situation is going to keep getting better!...(y)

• Like Like x 4
      • Creative Creative x 1
    5. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      I can't remember the first time I "didn't hear" my T, but I do remember a great time that echos all of yours:

While I had been more or less habituated in terms of my mood and life for a while, I was still listening to my little cricket sound-soother noises when I slept or was in my quiet room. I went traveling a bit this summer and when I came back I just didn't feel that I needed the crickets. I fell asleep in the silence and I woke up in the silence. I saw the sun bathing the bed in morning light, heard the little morning birds I once thought I would not be able to enjoy again, I saw the trees in the wind and felt that glorious, lazy, oh-my-bed-is-so-soft-and-warm-and-i-don't-have-to-get-up feeling. I lay there just basking in all of that and then some moment later I remembered my T existed and there it was, but it did nothing to diminish the morning. Ahhhhh :)

I love this thread @caffclifton, by the way. Thanks for the idea. Not only is it nice for newbies, but it was a nice way for me to remember a lovely moment, too!

Also, @Sjoerd, thanks for sharing that picture - that is absolutely gorgeous.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caffclifton
      Supportive

caffclifton Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrinthitis (Inner ear infection)
      @awbw8 - Thanks :love:

I love remembering times when I haven't heard my T and i think all of us sharing these will really help the new suffers realise it isn't all doom and gloom out there. The internet was such a dark place when I first got T and made me feel like I would never be "normal" again. Lefts fill everyone and the internet with some hope and some truth about how living with T can really be. The good days outweigh the bad by a long shot

xx

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. Codaz

Codaz Member

I'm managing a diary and there are clearly days that it was gone. And I noted down exactly why it was gone in those days. But ENT's / Dr's wont believe me.

8. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Hi @Codaz, I'm sure it's very possible you T was gone for some period of time, depending on what causes you T. Though I think here we're talking about moments when it feels like the T is gone, i.e. we didn't hear it, but not when it was actually, physically gone.

9. Codaz

Codaz Member

No it was gone. I plugged my ears, went to the most silent room I could think of and it was gone. Nose was no more stuffed up, just for a day. It was heaven. I did a lot of things that were lying around in my room since T start.

10. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Hi @Codaz, I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was saying if you say yours was gone, then that's great!

I was just saying this thread is people talking about when theirs felt gone due to habituation, but wasn't actually physically gone.

11. luckyman316

luckyman316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      The first time I stopped hearing mine was walking through some scenic park near my house. I remember, as I walked, BOOM... it was gone. I heard it all. Birds chirping, wind blowing, leaves in the trees, water running. Even that wasn't happening, I still heard no T. It was amazing and listed me for a good 2 hours. Only to come back later that day :(

• Creative Creative x 1
    12. Hairsonfire

Hairsonfire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      I have had T for over two years now and it will usually disappear after a few beers, not always, but usually. It will always get quieter with alcohol anyway. It will also go away for days at a time if I get a better than usual night's sleep. I am so very thankful that it does go away at all. It is so odd because I know my hearing is pretty good - I can hear clocks ticking in a quiet room, birds chirping outside through closed windows, very distant traffic sounds of cars on pavement - leaves rustling in the wind. I always thought that if your hearing ability diminished as you got older you just wouldn't hear things you used to hear - it never occurred to me that you would be hearing something that wasn't there - isn't life strange?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    13. Codaz

Codaz Member

I did not try out any (alcohol free) beer yet, because I do not like the flavour.
      But I've read on other forums that it can / does help.

14. Hairsonfire

Hairsonfire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Thanks for your comment Codaz. It is reassuring to know that I am not alone in this.

15. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I have periods of time when I 'forget' my T. The first time it happened was when my husband and I went on one of our quests for oil memorabilia and other antiques. I remember that I didn't hear it for the afternoon. I thought I was cured but the next day it was back and the disappointment was tremendous.

16. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      The only times I've actively noticed that my T isn't there are a few seconds a few times just as I wake up. I sort of notice second or two of quiet before someone presses the T-button in my head.

Besides that there have been plenty of times when I don't think about it, but that's not quite the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Hairsonfire

Hairsonfire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      I guess we can all take solace in that we are not alone - I know I do!:puppykisses:

18. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      A couple months ago I realized I was not measuring my reaction to my T and it felt SO good. Heaven. And a big hole in my mid section of my body seemed to open up and "Let go" and I felt so normal and relaxed. And happy.

(My T is always there but I've trained myself to not hear it.)

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    19. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      You sound like you're doing great. Cheers mate.

20. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      The day before my birthday has been the first in many years were I was truly anticipating and overly excited.
      My tinnitus basically faded much in the bagground because of my changed focus, and on the day of my birthday was the first time my t has ever seemed lessened, because of actual less db I can't tell, definitely the power of focus :)
      Not to say I'm anywhere near habituated, that day made made me know that habituation is an actual thing.

21. Lucky at Vodka o clock I have silence almost every night. But now since I made the DIY neuromodulation app almost daily. I will post later how to get it for FREE :)