The Intakt Project in Germany Is Developing Systems to Treat Tinnitus

Amazing stuff but I can't help but think that Neuralink will be the dominant force in this area (including tinnitus) as the sheer amount of capital available to the company is practically unlimited.

It's great to see this tech moving forward. This is the cure. Everything else before it will be a treatment.

All imho of course :)

This sounds interesting. How long would it take to get this to market, in your opinion? If it's successfully marketed in the EU, I wonder how long the FDA would drag their feet on getting this approved in the States...

Amazing stuff but I can't help but think that Neuralink will be the dominant force in this area (including tinnitus) as the sheer amount of capital available to the company is practically unlimited.

It's great to see this tech moving forward. This is the cure. Everything else before it will be a treatment.

All imho of course :)
I agree. The one problem with Neuralink is the FDA and the weird hatred for Elon.

@InNeedOfHelp, interesting. Do you think this will help in the case of high frequency severe hearing loss? If it's extra cochlear and doesn't stimulate the auditory nerve, I struggle to see how, although maybe I misunderstand.

I read the part about tinnitus in that article and it indeed sounds promising. I would love to read about the science behind it or if they did any trials on the cochlea microchips.

"An application has already been submitted to the BMBF for funding for a follow-up study. Hearing implant expert Olze is confident that both will work. But she cannot promise a quick solution for those affected. It will certainly take another ten years before such a complex micro-implant is ready for the market - provided the follow-up studies go as smoothly as the first two proof-of-concept studies. "Our patients are suffering a lot," emphasises Heidi Olze, "and of course we very much hope that we can bring our project to a successful conclusion."​

Written in August 2021.

@InNeedOfHelp, interesting. Do you think this will help in the case of high frequency severe hearing loss? If it's extra cochlear and doesn't stimulate the auditory nerve, I struggle to see how, although maybe I misunderstand.
I don't know. I did read the first trial results of 6 patients. Only 2 were helped and 1 worsened.

But the first trial was to determine the parameters and settings so I guess it makes sense.

Ignoring the work needed develop these devices, does stimulating the cochlea work to reduce tinnitus even temporarily?

It'd be amazing if we were at a point where someone actually knows how to reduce tinnitus, but they just need to create a small device that can do the necessary work.

Ignoring the work needed develop these devices, does stimulating the cochlea work to reduce tinnitus even temporarily?

It'd be amazing if we were at a point where someone actually knows how to reduce tinnitus, but they just need to create a small device that can do the necessary work.
I think some of the work Hamid Djalilian is involved in has shown this to be the case, however, it clearly needs refinement as there were weird side-effects in some patients.

Would this be the mechanism behind residual inhibition after you play the same frequency as your tinnitus? Or am I way off base?

I hadn't heard of this before. It could be of interest since I'm close to Germany.

It's a shame that there hasn't been any recent news (the article above is dated May 2023).

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now