The Link Between the Liver and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by luckyman316, May 9, 2014.

1. luckyman316

luckyman316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Anyone kno if there is link between the two? I've been told there might be, especiall with a sick liver (which I have) so curious to know if it's true or a myth...

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Not sure about the liver, but I do know a girl that says she got T from kidney stones. Once the kidney stones were taken care of, her T resolved.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      Tinnitus really is that crazy isn't it.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yeah.. I wish mine came with a mute button!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      As always, correlation does not equal causation. I honestly doubt that it is. The liver is tasked with breaking down fats and some toxins. I think a lot more people would have tinnitus than they already do if that is the case. Many things can cause your liver to be "overworked": being overweight, drinking too much, too much ibuprofen (which we know certain painkillers can cause tinnitus), hepatitis, etc.

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      luckyman316

luckyman316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Well, here is one thing I discovered online and there's a few more out there that say liver issues, among other things, can cause it:

http://www.nosesinus.com/Clinical-Services/noise-in-the-ear-tinnitus

"Conditions like anemia, diabetes, hypertension, abnormal lipid profile, high cholesterol level, kidney failure and liver problems can cause tinnitus by poisoning the inner ear with toxins and depriving it of a healthy blood supply"

I find this interesting and as soon as I had my liver issues (I'll be honest, Hepatitis) I started to get inner ear issues which eventually led into tinnitus. I'm on treatment for it so it will be interesting to see if it reduces or goes away as the virus diminishes. I've noticed some reductions some days the past week.

7. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Chinese medicine and acupunture seem to think T and liver are connected if I remember correctly...

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      luckyman316

luckyman316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Lovely :confused::mad:

9. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      No need to feel ashamed of a health issue here. We all clearly have some sort of health issue or we probably wouldn't be here! :)

I could possibly see the link. However, I would caution that if a person's auditory system is being affected by toxins in the blood, I imagine that other systems within the body are as well.

10. Drecul
      Balanced

Drecul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I have heard of the liver connection. Hearing loss as a cause alone sounds strange to me since not all people with hearing loss develop T.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Your toe is connected to your leg which connects to your hip and so on up to your head so that indeed your toe is joined to your ear..... And the liver is what rids your body of toxins so if it's not working properly your body is full of toxins. Toxins can cause T. So many possibles! Can we rule anything out completely?

• Like Like x 1
    12. Fairy
      Cool

Fairy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Do I think it is link to the liver? No.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Fairy
      Cool

Fairy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      If you got bad liver, are you drinking, eating high fat, I don't either of these. What causes this crap?

14. Mettafort
      Sunshine

Mettafort Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 8th, 2017 (a few days after)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vertigo->48 hours->Deaf in left Ear->Tinnitus
      The eating high fat has to be predicated on other things. Its a known, well debunked truth that high fat is really the issue in many health maladies; its carbs and inflammation. I mention this becuase fatty liver syndrome developed not from alcoholism, can be treated with anti-inflammatory diets, which ironically are higher in fat. Glyconeogenesis occurs in the liver, due to non-carbohydrate nutrition pathway, creating the environment in the liver for lipid storage. That is, eat a high protein diet, and you get a negative effect in the liver, just as if you ate carbs, resulting in insulin spikes and fat storage.

Eating high fat, with carbs n protein = not good. Eating high fat with a controlled intake of protein and carbs, is a healthy diet that is highliy anti-inflammatory; which i would say is a good thing. Modern old agae makadies such as altziemers, are fairly agreed on by cutting edge science as being inflammation based in most cases, and is classified as type-3 diabetes.

Being overweight with a diet that is not smart, has high fat, protein and carbs, will basically kill you. The irony is the fat will most likely reverse that whole process, because the original hypothesis that saturated fat was bad was decreed by a failing moronic scientist who did not know what the void was he found himself in with respect to values and ethics - he fabricated data to prove an hypothesis, rather than create an hypothesis from legit data. Its the biggest life of the modern era.

The guy on the left - Ancel Keys, is the guy who failed the ethics test: https://healthimpactnews.com/2014/time-magazine-we-were-wrong-about-saturated-fats/

Interesting reading: http://www.inflammationresearchfoun...n-details/time-cellular-inflammation-article/

All that to say, dont cast fat out...its a pathway to a reduction in inflammation, WHICH could be helpful for some T comrades...

No offense intended. Its a great discussion.

Metta,

Mf

15. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      LOL I was about to respond to TS until I realized this thread was three years old.

16. Nancy J

Nancy J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Liver cancer
      I joined tinnitustalk just to pass on the information that my sister died at age 44 of liver cancer and one of the things she complained about between her sudden diagnosis with stage 4 and her untimely passing 6 months later was tinnitus. The last time I visited, I think I brought her B vitamins, just in case they helped the tinnitis. I hope you all find relief. Love and caring to you.

17. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      No. that is based on pseudo medicine and homeopathy. The liver has nothing to do with tinnitus.

The only link between tinnitus that is proven is the inner ears ability to hear and the brain

When the audiotory nerve is deprived of input via any form of hearing loss, ear wax, middle ear damage, sensori-neural-hearing-loss (SNHL) the brain responds by creating a phantom noise to compensate for hearing loss and may even be acting as a sort of internal hearing aid to compensate for the damage.
      http://www.jneurosci.org/content/31/38/13452
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4208401/

Their may be alternative triggers for tinnitus such as neck jaw problems and stress
      but hearing loss is the only one proven and it seems these two cases above combined with hearing loss give individuals a higher chance of tinnitus.

Chemotherapy for cancer causes hearing loss unfortunately thus possibly tinnitus. Sorry about your loss ;(

18. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      we'll it's safe to say it's all bullshit.

These alternative treatments are snake oil

19. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      HI @Contrast,,

Just FWIW, when I went to a local acupuncturist shortly after getting tinnitus in February, he told me he's had the most success with patients whose tinnitus began with an ototoxic drug. When that's the case, the drug apparently can get stuck in the liver and cause tinnitus--perhaps similar to the story above where resolving a kidney stone issue resolved her tinnitus.

He generally works on the liver and kidney meridians, and if the tinnitus is coming from either, it will generally clear up. Sadly in my case, that didn't turn out to be the case. But the treatments were so calming, that I feel they helped me a lot in dealing with the intensity of the tinnitus (intensity for me is apart from the volume).

Best...​

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I suppose if that is the case of an ototoxic drug's properties staying in the body and effecting hearing then yes. I stand corrected on that account but there have been people here claiming damage to the liver itself was the cause of tinnitus which is not true.

21. Shuree Solbrack

Shuree Solbrack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My husband has a very inflamed liver due to almost a year of not knowing about his Hepatitis C. He has been complaining this past week of tinnitus, and I felt like his Hep C may be the cause.

I had to take IV Vancomycin (which is a STRONG antibiotic) for 6 weeks. There was a different nurse assisting me with weekly PICC line changes. Each one of these nurses were ADAMANT that I needed to pay attention to the possibility of ringing in my ears. They said that Vancomycin is very toxic to the liver, if it builds up to high concentrations. They kept repeating..."When you hear ringing in your ears, go to the ER..."

So yeah, there must be some type of connection.

22. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      What if is causing an inflammatory response?