The Long-Term Prognosis of Residual Tinnitus with Idiopathic Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Research News' started by JoeBonz, Jan 11, 2021.

1. JoeBonz

JoeBonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/22/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Has anyone seen this research? Looks like it came out in August 2020. If I'm reading this correctly, they seem to be suggesting the median time for tinnitus recovery after SSHL is 24 months. Gives me hope!

The Long-term Prognosis of Residual Tinnitus with Idiopathic Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss

Objectives:
      To analyze the factors affecting the long-term prognosis of tinnitus accompanied with unilateral idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss (SSNHL).

Design:
      A cohort study.

Setting:
      Academic hospital.

Participants:
      A total of 161 patients with sudden hearing loss accompanied by tinnitus were enrolled. All the patients had two separate telephone follow-ups and were asked about changes in tinnitus.

Main outcome measures
      The severity of tinnitus at admission and the outcome at discharge were assessed in terms of the patients’ sex, age, level of hearing loss, type of audiogram, and so on.

Results and Conclusions
      Initial tinnitus level was remarkably associated with tinnitus efficacy at discharge and was an independent risk factor for the long-term prognosis of residual tinnitus after SSNHL (odds ratio 0.722, 95% confidence interval 0.550-0.949, p = 0.019), and the median recovery time was 23.00 ± 3.80

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 3
    2. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      Same here! Just one year in! How about you?

3. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 16 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Thanks for sharing, this gives me some hope.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      I'm no expert but I'm not sure how I can rate this paper.

They interviewed tinnitus patients who experienced SSHL three times and out of these interviews they conclude that tinnitus will recover, on average, after 2 years.

How did these people recover? Is it subjective (they habituated)? Did the tinnitus heal on its own or did these people undergo treatment?

It seems to still be a pre-print. This means that other researchers have not peer-reviewed it yet (for quality, among other things).

• Like Like x 2
    5. Matchbox

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Well, when they talk about the gatekeeping interface of the brain, the assumption is that it needs time to adapt to the new "bad data".

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1