The Right Choice on Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by tyty, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. tyty
      Wishful

tyty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @Dr. Nagler, I have spoken with you before about TRT and hearing devices with masking capability. I have decided the best option for me in to try hearing devices. My TRT has gone well and helped me understand more about my T.
      My audiologist carries the ReSound brand and therefore this is what she has offered me. I did have sticker shock and realized I could pay for my sons next semester college tuition with that amount.

Now, I will get to the point, I have seen two other audiologist who preferred the Widex brand far over the Resound. I was told by the other two audiologist that these two products are NOT comparing apples to apples because the Widex has superior quality and technology. My question to you is can you tell me what type you have used or if you have any opinion on either? I realize they both have a 30 days trial period. I would have to jump back over to a different Dr. and Audiologist to try the other brand. I was just curious if you have prefer one over the other.

At this time my audiologist has recommended the ReSound Linx made for iPhone hearing aid. It will also have some noise built it to help me deal with my loud intrusive T. She has explained to me the importance of not "masking" my T but rather more of a blending sound.

I understand if you prefer to not comment on which device you prefer.

Thanks so much for all you do for this forum
      Best Regards! Ty

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi @tyty -

I'll try to answer your question a few different ways. (Ain't that always the case??!!)

So I am going to assume that you will be using a combination device (i.e., hearing aid plus broadband sound generator) for TRT as opposed to a sound generator alone because you are a TRT Category 2 patient as opposed to a TRT Category 1, 3, or 4.

I am also going to assume that you are actually doing TRT, which means that you have a TRT clinician who is doing your TRT counseling and who also will be fitting you with your combination device.

That being the case, your TRT clinician will recommend a combination device that is best suited to your hearing loss, and that's the one I'd go with regardless of price. I'd also actually purchase it from your TRT clinician, because the mark-up on the device is how he or she makes a living. (My practice is an exception in that regard; I do not sell devices.)

Now we get to the "everything else being equal" piece.

If you fall into TRT Category 1, 3, or 4 (i.e., no need for amplification), then everything else being equal the broadband sound generator I'd go with is GHI's Tranquil Simplicity I OTE.

If you fall into TRT Category 2 (i.e. need a combination unit), then everything else being equal I'd go with Phonak Audeo Q 50, 70, or 90 (depending on your auditory needs) along with a pair of color-coded remotes so you can set the volume of broadband sound in each unit independently as instructed by your TRT clinician. Widex is a fine line, but Zen is inappropriate for TRT - so you'd be paying for technology you will not use. And GN ReSound has some quirky things about it that make it less than ideal for TRT. The GN Resound Linx program to which you refer in your question holds promise, but it is too new for me to have formed an opinion.

Hope this helps more than confuses.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1