The Ups and Downs of Tinnitus. Am I Dealing With It Okay?

Discussion in 'Support' started by AlecP, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      And i can sleep without masking since last october really, even if i'm in a totaly silent place.

The key is to step back about your situation, then your mind will be naturally occupied by other toughtq than T and after some times, you realize that if you feel better it's because you have habituated ( for sleeping i mean).
      So yes i live better my T now, a lot better, , but now i'm more concerned by my hearing. But that's life.

@AlecP I hope that your T will disturb you less and less. Is it a "reactive T" l?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AlecP
      Procrastinating

AlecP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (I think)
      @Quentino I don't really know if it is reactive, but some days it is louder (for some unknown reason) and some days it is quiet and easily masked. Tbh I don't really have negative feelings towards it anymore, I just start to feel a bit down when it gets bad because it's like, 'This shit isn't going away'...But I just try and find company with people, play sports, video games and poker, and generally just distract myself as best as possible :) Almost been a year since T onset and I am definitely doing wayyyy better than I was 6 months ago! Good luck to you all!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Seems to me you are doing an excellent job. I would guess that there is a high possibility that your tinnitus will go completely or just fade into the background where you are not bothered by it. It seems to me that you have begun the process of this alReady and it's progressing well. But I think from reading your post what you do have is some anxiety and possibly neck and shoulder tension which may be causing the tinnitus to appear louder or just something else you have to cope with on top of it. I suggest going for some massage and exercises to do when working at your computer by taking breaks and stretching. That may help. If you think your anxiety is a problem and it sounds like it is, the massage and exercise should be good for that as well plus some breathing exercises. You might be holding your breath because of tension in the muscles and causing a mild hyperventilation. So try some breathing exercises. Or you might consider counselling for anxiety. Hopefully theses things will speed up the time it takes to habituated or get rid of your T.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AlecP
      Procrastinating

AlecP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (I think)
      @Mad maggot I had wondered about both muscle and neck tension and anxiety! It may well be that it is exacerbating my T so massages could be a great idea! Thanks for your kind words and advice :)