The Use of Benzodiazepines for Tinnitus: Systematic Review

Discussion in 'Research News' started by david c, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      No no no you guys are totally confused!
      It's WHISKY that helped with T in personal trials.

I have no proof that audiology or cochlear implant industries have ever stopped tinnitus research. I just said if I put myself in their shoes I certainly see motive to stop tinnitus research/cure. At the same time I personally depend on my hearing aid, so I appreciate them being around..

2. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      This is an old thread but I'm looking at benzos and feel like answering. I wear hearing aids and my audiologist has a pretty big and successful practice and if he had to rely on tinnitus patients to survive he would starve. He only seen a handful, maybe 6 or 8. The huge majority are hearing impaired people. So there's no conspiracy at least here in the US.
      I would love a cure for tinnitus but I have to ask, does anyone realize how many diseases go without a cure. I mean we can't even cure a cold, what makes everybody believe the pharmaceutical industry owes us a cure or is hiding one from us.
      Tinnitus is a complicated brain malfunction and medical science knows next to nothing about how the brain really works.
      Somehow there are millions of tinnitus sufferers who are living with this and we're just a small number who found this place and mostly seem to be in the acute phase of suffering. I have to believe in time we all will tune it out, habituate of just stop caring about it. In the meantime, I'm probably going to trade one problem for another and start the daily benzo routine. What the hell, I'm already anxious and depressed, so what if when I stop the benzo I will be anxious and depressed. Pay now or pay later.

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I strongly recommend anyone with acute tinnitus should be prescribed a course of clonazepam to help them with the manage of intense tinnitus sound. Sadly every day we have reminders of the lives lost through clonazepam not being a prescribed medication for tinnitus. - this is just a recent example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39804726

Not the case here in the UK - if you think it's cheap to have a practice in Harley Street, London - some of the most expensive real estate on the planet - then you would be wrong. But The Tinnitus Clinic does and it pays for it by flogging expensive audiology "devices" of little efficacy to desperate tinnitus sufferers. The audiology market for tinnitus is huge - it's big business with an incentive to preventive alternative drug development.

4. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Do you realize you know next to nothing (sic) about what the science has done the last years around otorhinolaryngology? I don't tolerate ignorance very well, but I really cannot stand ignorants who make sure everybody knows they are proud ignorants. What's the point on coming here, the RESEARCH forum full of recent RESEARCH news, and saying this? Are you looking for approval for your benzos? Just swallow them like there's no tomorrow. Of course I bet you know next to nothing (sic) about tinnitus from benzo withdrawal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      There's none more ignorant than a kid who thinks they know everything. The part you seem oblivious to is that I am reporting MY experiences and you obviously know NOTHING about what I experience. Why I come here is of no concern to you and if you're unable to understand what others have to say just move along like a grownup and save your tantrums for your mother.
      Here's news flash for you, when a tinnitus patient uses benzos they already have tinnitus so how is tinnitus from withdrawal a problem? Benzo withdrawal problems reported on the internet are loaded with false information. Using .5mg is not a high dose and virtually problem free, but a genius like you would already know that.

Eres tan estupido como un perro.

• Creative Creative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      That kind of flippant remark is neither helpful or informative. A more sensible approach would be to note that clonazepam in particular has been shown to significantly reduce tinnitus volume and therefore can be helpful in cases of acute tinnitus. Of course all drugs can have side effects - but far preferable that than the often tragic consequences of severe tinnitus - as noted in this link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39804726

Clonazepam could have saved that man's life and the lives of thousands of others - but the audiology companies with their grip on the NHS - made sure it can't be prescribed.

• Agree Agree x 1