Theory of Everything... for Tinnitus: Thalamocortical Dysrhythmia

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Samir, May 24, 2018.

1. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      A recent study gives validity to a decades old theory called Thalamocortical Dysrhythmia (TCD), which may help explain the underlying mechanism of a number of neurological disorders, including tinnitus. According to one of the authors of the research paper, which has been published in Nature Communications, this is the largest experimental evaluation of TCD since it was proposed in 1996.

I hope that other research groups will be able to replicate these results.

News piece: https://www.utdallas.edu/news/2018/...rate-Di_story-wide.html?WT.mc_id=NewsHomePage

Paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-02820-0

• Informative x 12
      • Like x 6
      • Genius x 3
      • Winner x 2
      • Helpful x 1
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Nice addition of more research in support of brain functions. I stopped posting about this, but my tiny abnormal brain agrees.(y)

• Like Like x 4
    3. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I also believe that the underlying cause of tinnitus is an abnormality occured in the brainwaves.
      As for treatments, in this case...
      How can this abnormality be treated?
      There is a long thread about this TCD an operation (HIFU) that a doctor thought about hoping that it could fix the TCD, and a very sad case (viking) who went through a very costly and painful operation in Switzwerland, and he put up with the long waiting, the transportation, the high price and all the pain, only to end up in great dismal after obtaining NO results in the reduction of tinnitus. He got disappointed and upset that he left the forum.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      The article indeed is a great find. What i noticed first was the picture, where problems in two areas, one coloured in pink, in the temporal lobe, and the other one in green, also on the larger area of the temporal lobe, can lead to tinnitus. Problems in the green area can lead to tinnitus, but I do not think that acoustic traumas can cause problems in the green areas, and that may be the cause why so many people did not have any noise exposure or acoustic traumas, but remained with tinnitus after a difficult time (stress, anxiety, bereavement, etc) in their lives (many members report "stress" as the cause of their tinnitus, and that green area corroborates with what they are saying

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Initially, I thought of tinnitus purely as a problem of the ear. It later dawned on me that it has more to do with the brain than the ear.

That I do not know, but Dr. Vanneste sounded confident:
      "From here, we hope to stimulate specific brain areas involved in these diseases at alpha frequencies to normalize the brainwaves again. We have a rationale that we believe will make this type of therapy work."

That's one single case. Of which I know nothing about. Nor do I know anything about that doctor you mention, or the operation in question. Many crooks that call themselves doctors are out there, trying to make a fortune out of hopeless people, people in despair. That's a known, established fact. We have to be careful with who we trust and who we give our money to.

Who was the doctor he saw? Doctor who? :oldman: Where did he have this treatment? What exactly was this treatment?

TCD may not be the answer to tinnitus. In fact, tinnitus is a complex problem, and unless we start breaking it down into smaller pieces that we can work on, then we may never understand it or find a solution to it. But it seems to me like these researchers have discovered something important. It cannot be swept away as nothing just because some guy on a forum reported bad results from some TCD treatment he payed some doctor to perform on him.

vanneste-figure-924-2018-05.jpg

Mind me if I'm wrong, I am no neuroscientist. But as I recall, that green area is the auditory cortex, is it not?

So... acoustic trauma kills off your hair cells... and what do you think it does to your nervous system? Or better yet, what do you think fear does to your nervous system? The very definition of fear is feeling of agitation and anxiety caused by the presence of imminent danger. That's what an acoustic trauma does, it kills your ears, puts extreme stress on your auditory system and the entire nervous system, including the areas that process emotions.

Any kind of traumatic event will send your stress levels through the roof. The damage is not only physical (the visible) but also psychological/neurological (the invisible). It doesn't have to be acoustic trauma. You could go through a divorce, lose a loved one or lose a job. Of course, you can experience stress for any number of reasons. It's not possible to exist in a modern/westernized world without feeling the effects of stress. Even getting a bad grade on an exam can cause you to stress out of fear of not getting into collage.

To some degree, stress can also be a source of good, it can help us survive. That's why we have it, it's part of the body's defense mechanism. It can help us push through difficulties. But it can either make us or break us. Balance is the key here. But it's not difficult to throw us off balance, because we live in a time where the society puts unreasonable pressure and unreasonable expectations on us from the day we are born.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    6. Anthonyr
      Wtf

Anthonyr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's definitely a brain issue. I have tinnitus, visual snow and BFS (benign fasciculation syndrome) all three are made worse from anxiety and stress. All three are guessed to be neurological in nature for a lot of cases. As soon as we can pin point the reason why and where our nerves are misfiring. We'll be much closer to a cure.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      What really speaks to me with this study is their generalist approach, where they try to tie all these different disorders together and look for clues that are common to all of them. It's something that may bring some new light to some of the questions.

The authors of this paper are Dirk De Ridder of University of Otago, Sven Vanneste of University of Texas at Dallas and Jae-Jin Song of Seoul National University. I don't recognize the other two guys, but De Ridder is a well known name in the tinnitus researcher community. This is how he describes his research.

The second thing that I find very interesting is their use of artificial intelligence.

From the research paper:

And here is an excerpt from a Korean biomedical news outlet:

Hopefully, in a not too distant future, I envision being able to pop into one of these à-la-Matrix kind of machines and have your tinnitus objectively diagnosed. :blackalien: Then pop into another machine to have it sucked out of existence, just as easy as pulling out a bad tooth. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. bur547

bur547 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise combined with ketoconazole
      I'm not really convinced about any of this. We KNOW there are physical causes for some tinnitus, such as sound injury, malfunctioning eustachian tubes, allergies, or even tumor growth. How can something with a known physical cause be the result of a brainwave? TCD seems like a symptom, not an underlying cause.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    9. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      Interesting post. I know for sure there are several physical issues that can cause Tinnitus (loud noise, ear infections, sleep apnea ...) but I must agree that there is also some kind of psychological reason for T, at least for myself, I have experienced much lower T when I felt good, low stress and anxiety, so I'm pretty sure that I could do much better if I could lower the stress levels at home here. Financial and emotional stress are the worst for T from my experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      He's talking about the HIFU surgery by Professor Jeanmonod in Switzerland. This was probably before your time on this forum but the thread was one of the most viewed when it was relevant. ATEOS also went there but wasn't eligible for surgery if I remember correctly. Here's the thread:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hifu-high-intensity-focused-ultrasound-surgery.276/

11. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Dr. Sven Vanneste is the guy behind the vagus nerve stimulation.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      I just skimmed through that thread. But it all seems fishy to me. Maybe they were ahead of their time and they were onto something. Maybe they just didn't get the treatment protocol right, or the whole approach was wrong. Or they simply wanted to make some money, using the latest research findings at the time to validate their treatment. They don't even list tinnitus on their website as a condition that they treat. But they do list tremor, Parkinson's and pain.

13. norwaygirl
      Artistic

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/pressure/high volume on music
      I've read in an article that the sound of tinnitus itself is not the problem, but electrochemical reactions in different parts of the brain which increase the attention level to said reaction. A sound who might be going unnoticed in the brain will be experienced as strong due to the triggering of these reactions. This might explain why people experience different tones and pitches of tinnitus, why it occurs during acoustric trauma, allergies, life stress, head tumors etc. Even though all these causes originally differ, they trigger various electrochemical reactions whether that be a physical head injury or emotional grief. Since the electrochemical reaction is a new and abnormal one, the brain calls your attention to it. It's this link between the chemical changes, the brain's interpretation, and finally your awareness, that causes alertness -> stress -> reinforcement of alertness -> continuation of increased attention level -> alertness -> stress -> reinforcement of alertness -> increased attention level -> alertness -> stress -> reinforcement of alertness ... etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    14. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      And round and round it goes. Probably a lot truth to this although kinda simplified.
      Hjernen er alene!

15. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      Thank you for this post!!!

16. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      I’ve started having lucid nightmares that end in brain zaps after getting reactive tinnitus. I believe it’s because of what you posted. Here’s an interesting article explaining what I mean :

Mind you I never had an issue with nightmares beforehand and I didn’t even know lucid dreaming was a thing. I think it is all connected to the neurons by oscillating correctly like you said
      @Samir
      https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/45520-brain-zaps-trigger-lucid-dreams.html

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I think TCD is the symptom not the cause

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Yeah I get ugly nightmares now too. This really may be the worst disease. All the more reason that the researchers need to abandon general methods of drug development and treat this like an emergency.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Hmm, this is interesting. When my tinnitus started it was quite sudden, full blast. I wonder if this could explain a thing or three.

20. reggie green
      Balanced

reggie green Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/08/2001
      Are there any researchers investigating this theory, if not how can we get someone interested?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      Didn't @Viking have this surgery?

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      Viking had the HiFU one by Professer Jeanmonod in Swiss.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hifu-high-intensity-focused-ultrasound-surgery.276/

The guys with the new paper. Vanneste, De Ridder etc. are basically the same guys behind the old Brai2n clinic in Belgium and have now restarted in Gent in Belgium with the new name Brai3n. They basically do the same thing but maybe now they have some better protocols regarding where to stimulate and not.

• Agree Agree x 1