Things Are Looking Up

Discussion in 'Support' started by Taylorslay, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      Recently I mentioned I got my first job (Yipee!). I was very scared of the noise and the ear piece I was required to wear. But turns out everything was just fine I'm quite grateful for it. In fact its actually made my Hyperacusis better.

Before I mentioned noise related problems about my commute to work. Here is how I solved that:

Going to and from work I need to ride my bike 2 miles both ways each. Not a problem. I use a helmet with these handy dandy things called Cat Ears they reduce the decibels of wind noise so wind isn't problematic. Not to mention its better to wear a helmet than no helmet. (For obvious reasons). I typically work in the morning where there aren't so many cars on the first half of my commute. I don't wear earplugs usually at this time. Even though there are passing cars. The sound is very bearable since it isn't constant. When riding home from work I typically get off at rush hour (how lovely). So I wear earplugs for about 50% of my way back while I ride past a busy highway on the sidewalk. Granted I understand many people are not fond of me wearing earplugs around busy roads. However, I am very mindful of everything that is going on around me. Wearing earplugs at this time keeps me from spiking from loud horns, sirens and motorcycles.

The radio earpiece at work is actually not near as bad as I thought. Let me show you.

20180319_105518-1.jpg

As shown the earpiece does not go fully inside the ear canal. Leaving room for other sounds to come through. So it has not caused me any problems so far. Maybe a tiny tiny spike (that goes away quick) but nothing to write home about. Which I am very grateful for. Not to mention I can turn the volume down on the radio. Which is perfect!

My work is not extremely loud. However, there is music playing. I'm a cashier, I have to talk to people. If I can't hear my customer from 3 to 4 feet away then what's the point?

My managers were very understanding of my situation. One of my managers daughter has sound hypersensitivity as well. Granted I'm not sure if its Hyperacusis since I didn't label my condition as "Hyperacusis" when expressing my concerns to my manager. Fortunately, she still understood my plea. For that I am so grateful for.

During training, the sound of the register opening and closing was awful. The peep that the bar-code scanner makes was even worse. I came home my first day after training, worried and exhausted. But I told myself that I can't leave now. I'm glad I didn't. During my 2nd day of training mid way through my shift the beep of the bar-code scanner and the opening and closing of the register was less loud and painful. I was shocked and excited. I came home that day and screamed. (Because, that's what you normally do. Duh!). And my scream was tolerable. Granted there was a slight uncomfortable feeling from the scream. But, I knew that my H had just gotten a whole lot better in the matter of 7 hours. Later that week it continued to stay that way. It may have gotten a little worse since inside my home isn't as loud as my work. However, I could still scream and be just fine.

Working around all types of frequencies at different decibels has forced my brain to adapt. I have been working for about 1 month now and my H has seen drastic improvements. I am ever so grateful to my managers for calling me back and offering me the job and also hiring. I am ever so grateful because I feel alive again. I can live. This whole experience has truly a life saver. Granted I still have H but I can do stuff now.

I held off from posting this because I wanted to see how things would turn out. Everything turned out better than I expected.

After nearly 7 months of H I am better than I have ever been.

• Like Like x 19
      • Winner Winner x 5
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Taylorslay

Thanks for posting us an update and I'm very pleased for you. There is nothing like a job to boost one's confidence and make them feel independent. Now you're a woman of substance and in the money. I don't mind accepting a small gift of appreciation to help get you where you are. Just remember nothing cheap as I have expensive tastes...:D Well done and I wish you all the best for the future.

Take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 3
    3. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      this is wonderful to read.

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Thank you so much I really enjoy working. It's really funny because I'm now better understanding the value of things.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      That's what life is about @Taylorslay I truly admire your courage, fight and resolve. I said from the start that you would do alright and habituate because I could see those qualities in you. Anything worthwhile in life never comes easily. You have made me feel very pleased.

Take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    6. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I am glad for you :)

Mine has gotten worse I am afraid :( I wonder if it is because I have been sheilding myself from unpleasant sounds? I use sound enrichment at night and I don't overprotect but I do try to avoid subjecting myself to too much unpleasant noise.

• Hug Hug x 4
    7. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Congrats on the good news! Stories like this are what keep me coming back here, along with the support.

I went to the grocery store yesterday and the sound of the scanner beeping everything started to make me nervous and I'll be bringing ear plugs next trip to the store. I'm 3 weeks in and my ears are still very sensitive.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Is it just staying stagnant?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Is your H or T fluctuating?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      No, it seems to have gotten worse. The discomfort of some sounds are more severe/greater now.

• Hug Hug x 3
    11. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      This is my first time learning about T, I'm only 3 weeks in. The T has been stable, possibly going up in pitch. I didn't know what H was until about a week ago when I noticed I'm very sensitive to noise. I listen to the TV and radio at 1/3 of what I used to and have asked my wife and children to turn down the volume a couple notches when talking to me. This is all so new to me and frankly scares me but I'm learning a ton on this site.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey, that's nice to hear. :3

It's super-good that your managers are understanding.
      I hope things will keep going right for you.
      We'll be cheering quietly from the sidelines.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you listen and follow the advice of people in this forum then in time you will improve...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      @Taylorslay we've all kind of adopted you into our big extended family here.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

Well said Paul. I have always found @Taylorslay to be polite and respectful and that's a big plus in my book...

• Like Like x 3
    16. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Congrats!

Yeah, our first impulse with Hyperacusis ir to run away from everything. The irony is that it gets better by doing the opposite... It's good that you're protecting your ears when it's needed and letting it be with normal sounds. In the beginning it's scary but totally worth it.

Best,
      Zug

• Like Like x 2
    17. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It took courage for you to persevere with the job. I'm happy it worked out so well. Your story is inspiring.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1