Thinking of Suicide — Have No Other Options

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by KateW, Jun 11, 2018.

1. KateW

KateW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Schwannoma
      It took a couple years for people to figure out that the cause of my tinnitus is a small acoustic neuroma. Prescribed steroids first, then Xanax which has been the only thing getting me through. I have seen a neurosurgeon, neurotologist and radiation oncologist. They all told me different things and I still don't know the bottom line. I decided to have radiation because I'm 64 and figured it would be better to do it while I still have health insurance. Depending on who's talking I either will or will not lose hearing in my ear if I have radiation, will or will not lose hearing in my ear if I don't have radiation, will experience relief from tinnitus, or it will make it worse.

Everyone says to have hope because you get habituated but it has been two years and it is as loud, high pitched and constant as ever, possibly worse.

Has anyone had radiation for this condition? What should I expect?

Can anything be done for tinnitus. When you've had it for two years and you're not habituated?

Can't go on like this.

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I read a recent post on here about someone who underwent gamma knife for AN, and it seemed like it went really well. If I recall correctly, neither hearing nor T worsened. I seem to recall an improvement somewhere but I don't remember exactly.

I don't think doctors can really predict the outcome unfortunately.
      Good luck!

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      @KateW I don't have experience with the surgery. I just wanted to reach out and offer some positive feelings. Your subject line worried me and I hope you find a way to get past this rough time!

• Like Like x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KateW

KateW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Schwannoma
      Thanks. It scares me when everyone says it goes away after three months or you get used to it. It's been two years for me.

• Hug Hug x 3
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      How did your doctors end up figuring out you had a VS? Did you just recently do an MRI?

When you say you can do a radiation treatment, is that proton therapy? gamma knife? other?

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    7. Sassy7854

Sassy7854 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants
      My tinnitus has been so severe for several years and I have been feeling that I wanted to just give up. I then found someone who does Neurofeedback, And that has saved my life! I have only gone to her for a couple weeks but it has changed my life. I no longer am depressed or have anxiety. I am able to deal with my tinnitus in a different way. I am still going through the therapy to see if I can reduce my tinnitus even more. My outlook is so different than what it used to be. Never, never give up!

• Like Like x 1
    8. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      So you managed to actually reduce your T (not just your reaction to it) using neurofeedback?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Very nice to hear:). Could you tell us a bit more what is involved in "Neurofeedback"?

10. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Sassy7854

I use neurofeedback in a regular basis with the Muse headset for meditation (http://www.choosemuse.com/), and indeed has zero effect on tinnitus. I doubt that just modifying brainwaves can have more than just moderated effect on mood. Could you please describe the kind of neurofeedback that you are practicing?

11. Sassy7854

Sassy7854 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants
      I am seeing a licensed neurofeedback therapist. I can tolerate my tinnitus better right now because I am no longer depressed or have anxiety. What she is doing is retraining the brain. I am still seeing her because I want to see if I can silence the noise in my brain completely. I am lucky enough to have insurance that is covering my treatments. Not all insurance will cover biofeedback treatments. I know that United healthcare does and also CIGNA and there could be a few others out there. I am not positive that this will work but it is worth a try. I have tried about everything else.

12. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      • Agree Agree x 1