This Hearing Test c/o attheedgeofscience

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zimichael, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      I figured this was a better place to post this question than in the "Introduce Yourself" section, as others may wish to do the test, or have the same question as me. Seeing as you posted this ATEOS, it is likely to be a 'good and interesting thing to do' as you don't promote 'Mickey Mouse' stuff!

Here's your original text (for new readers to catch up), then my response/question below that:

Regarding hearing loss - as well as all the people who claim they don't have any - here is a very realistic simulator of hearing loss from the Hear-The-World-Foundation:

http://www.hear-the-world.com/en/hearing-and-hearing-loss/hearing-loss-what-it-sounds-like.html

The simulator above is - in my opinion - one of the most accurate there are; it demonstrates exactly how subtle hearing loss is in the early stages. Which is why even initial hearing loss prevention is so important...

Friendly warning: the simulator is probably best used with earbuds, but be mindful of the sound level settings beforestarting the simulator. Follow the instructions carefully...

OK...I run into problems right at the start of the test! No matter if I click the ">" Play button or the "II" Pause button, and turn volume on my monitor and speakers all the way up, I hear nothing!!!
      Here's the page I'm on in the test [Then see below the graphic]:

upload_2014-10-25_11-18-11.png

How about others??? Do you hear anything??? What sound is there, there??? Or is it just silence??? (On the next page after "Continue" I hear the airport announcement just fine at normal volume so ????????).

Help on this appreciated. Thanks... Zimichael

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      The Play the tone button does indeed work for me. It plays a nice little tune, can't really describe it. But you should be able to hear it.

Firefox 33.0 here.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It says "Tone" Markku, not tune!

Indeed I get a tune too if I hit the Pause button.....I figured that was just Musak until one got smart enough to press "Play"...But maybe not??? Weird though to say TONE however???

Anyone get a TONE?!

4. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yeah, true.

No. I think you are supposed to get that tune/musak piece.

Then adjust your audio volume accordingly, so that you can barely hear the tune.

Then begin the test by clicking Continue, and next up is the airport part.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And in the airport part no matter where I put the slider nothing happens to volume or experience of volume...and I suspect it is meant to change? Like maybe if you have more hearing loss they kick up the volume as why have the slider there (or buttons in the slider???).

Sorry, maybe this test is a wash, or maybe it only works in Explorer? I am using Chrome.

However, the next test they mention if you click forward does work! Where you label items then they stick in increasing background noise and you have to click what you heard, etc., etc. Sort of interesting, but feel like I'm missing something here if ATEOS posted this.

6. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      The slider below should play the airport announcement at different levels of clarity - which I believe is well simulated. I use MS Explorer v. 11.

On the first page, I hear a tune and not a tone when pressing the button.

Hope this helps.

upload_2014-10-26_14-9-5.png

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the heads up ATEOS...

OK, 'good' on the tune and not a tone at the beginning...kinda odd they call it tone!? However, the slider still does zero, so maybe it will only work with Explorer. As mentioned I am using Chrome. (Though the 'boxes ID test with background noise increases' in their website did work OK).

Ta, Zimichael

8. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I just tested it on Chrome and works well for me.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It works today????!!!! Though not if I click the > play button first. If I just go into the airport announcement!
      I think it is probably a VISTA issue as it farts about like this quite often. (Yeah I guess one day I need to update to a new model of Microsoft...but I hate the touch-screen format crap. One of the things about being a fuddy duddy...I only like "good" change!).

10. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Here is another type of hearing test - and not a hearing simulator like the one above...

http://www.hear-it.org/Online-Hearing-Test

(As always be mindful of your volume settings before commencing the hearing test...)