Thoughts on Acute and Chronic Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sven, Nov 12, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Sven
      Procrastinating

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      How can they really tell what is acute and what is chronic? Has any of them ever been treated in any way?

Also, in my case I first noticed a slight tinnitus already in 1994, but started "suffering for real" in 1999 after a concert. Would that make mine acute all over again? In that case any worsening must be considered acute.

I'm also guessing there must be tinnitus that people don't even recognize? That is, it's either not loud enough or at a frequency that we can't hear. If so, then it's impossible to tell whether it is acute or chronic, should it worsen.

I hope you understand what I mean. :)

2. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Mine began in 96 ,mild didn't interfere in my day today life ,pretty much ignored it ,then when illness hit that lasted total of 4 months ,I was placed on pkt of Benzo's ,my T changed from what I called mild ,to then severe,never went back to prior those meds ,been a battle ever since ,plus anxiety ,which never had prior .
      Hormones I always said plays a part ,to T ,as well ,women have said there T began start of menopause yrs .why not hormones progesterone in males .why lots on TT ,have it bad and it they can't habituate ( hate that word ) .
      I say keep a diary for few months if female ,see if there's a link to their T .,anxiety ,depression certain times in any month ,I have and that's why I think hormones for females play havoc with the T .
      Like Sven ,hope this makes sense .If we knew the cause ,maybe closer to getting treatment for it ,that's our goal end of the day .

3. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      They can't. Not objectively, at least - and assuming "they" being the medical profession.

There is an objective way of diagnosing subjective tinnitus (for some cases of tinnitus). This can be done at neurology centres such as the brai2n clinic and the SoniModul clinic.

But in either case, they would not be able to distinguish between acute and chronic tinnitus. They are simply able to potentially tell you if you have tinnitus "in the brain". Chronic or not.

The definition that these neurology centres use for defining chronic tinnitus is likely to be the one-year mark post onset of tinnitus. They would not be interested in performing any medical intervention before that date. And the patient is expected to have made several attempts at eliminating their tinnitus using drug therapy and/or learning to live with it using TRT/psychotherapy. Only if these attempts fail, can the patient become eligible for treatment because by one-year post onset of tinnitus, the patient will receive the formal diagnosis "chronic and resistant tinnitus" by a neurologist.

Yes. But the success rate is not necessarily high, as well as invasive in some cases - not to mention costly.

• Informative Informative x 3
    4. john livingston
      Cool

john livingston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1974
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      football contact
      Some times I measure my T in terms of city blocks it started out at about a quarter block now its up to bout 10 blocks! If the noise on the inside of my head was on the outside that's how far you could hear it lol! I don't need no meter to tell me whether its acute or chronic. Ten blocks is pretty damn chronic for me!

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      John, you say your T has progressed, in terms of percentage gain how much would you say it has progressed per year from where it started? Do you have H as well?

6. newfie
      Inspired

newfie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (gun)
      So they've decided there is no way to cure chronic tinnitus?

I have unilateral tinnitus that I aquired in 2007 via acoustic trauma (gun). I didn't have any ringing or distorted hearing prior to this incident.

Is there no hope?

7. RaZaH
      Not amused

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      @newfie , No one knows that , up until now there have been no cures for either so in my mind a cure should work for both .

8. newfie
      Inspired

newfie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (gun)
      I just noticed that AM101 only wanted trial participants that suffered onset in < one year, and also it had to be caused by a specific incident.

Maybe some people think once the "no return" point is passes there is no ending the signal? I'm hopeful otherwise...

9. RaZaH
      Not amused

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yes, 'it seems to be the theory that acute is easier to cure , but to me its just a theory.

10. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      Yesterday I was clear and strong with no T. It was gone in my cycle. I felt great.
      Today the T holds me in its grip. My heart is racing my mind is scattered and T is very loud.
      But I just wanted to say FU to T. I will be strong and carry on. I will be strong.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Today I used a nasal contestant for my sinuses. Boy my ears are the highest they've ever been ,had to be ingredient my ears don't like in it ,won't ever try decongestant again ,it was called Sterimar ,thought pass this info on in case anyone has the sinus problem ( allergy ) ,of late .Hope this drops ,got my anxiety up wee bit .due to loudness .
      The pits for sure ,as there screaming .So not on your own Larry today .Big hug .

12. john livingston
      Cool

john livingston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1974
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      football contact
      @Telis Its hard to tell about percentage a year. It seemed to stay pretty much one loud tone for bout 30 years and for the last 10 years maybe getting 1o% louder a year along with more different and funky type noises that seem to change faster than I can get used to them. And now 40 plus years later this thing is like waking up to a rock concert every day.

13. john livingston
      Cool

john livingston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1974
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      football contact
      @Larry OT I try to separate my self from my T and treat it as an annoying guest and try to let it linger in the corner and not pay attention to it. But it is easier said than done. T is all ways going to be there but I don't have to be there with it all the time. I can separate it a bit to the back of my mind but it still wins over regularly. My only real relief is sleep, but you cant sleep all the time lol! It will get more endurable for you as time goes on it has for me. If I sit around and poor me poor me the shit kicks my ass worse!

14. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      @john livingston

I'm trying. When my T wins I can't function. I hope I can get used to it in some way.
      Thanks

• Hug Hug x 2
    15. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      John I wish I could move around ,I've got this balance issue and T ,feeling like I'm on a boat ,can't get off the thing .
      No answer for us ,having it either ,I just get to do the distraction ,that's far from easy to .
      I understand where Larry ,Telis Michael ,Teri ,Ali ,Valeri and others are coming from.ive had T for fair few years mines changed over this time .its the most debilitating ever ,well for me and my years on this planet at least .
      We get through each day best way we personally know how .I don't think at all poor me ,because I know others are finding it equally as hard as I do .