Thoughts on Acute and Chronic Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sven, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      How can they really tell what is acute and what is chronic? Has any of them ever been treated in any way?

Also, in my case I first noticed a slight tinnitus already in 1994, but started "suffering for real" in 1999 after a concert. Would that make mine acute all over again? In that case any worsening must be considered acute.

I'm also guessing there must be tinnitus that people don't even recognize? That is, it's either not loud enough or at a frequency that we can't hear. If so, then it's impossible to tell whether it is acute or chronic, should it worsen.

I hope you understand what I mean. :)

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      They can't. Not objectively, at least - and assuming "they" being the medical profession.

There is an objective way of diagnosing subjective tinnitus (for some cases of tinnitus). This can be done at neurology centres such as the brai2n clinic and the SoniModul clinic.

But in either case, they would not be able to distinguish between acute and chronic tinnitus. They are simply able to potentially tell you if you have tinnitus "in the brain". Chronic or not.

The definition that these neurology centres use for defining chronic tinnitus is likely to be the one-year mark post onset of tinnitus. They would not be interested in performing any medical intervention before that date. And the patient is expected to have made several attempts at eliminating their tinnitus using drug therapy and/or learning to live with it using TRT/psychotherapy. Only if these attempts fail, can the patient become eligible for treatment because by one-year post onset of tinnitus, the patient will receive the formal diagnosis "chronic and resistant tinnitus" by a neurologist.

Yes. But the success rate is not necessarily high, as well as invasive in some cases - not to mention costly.

• Informative Informative x 3
    3. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      Yesterday I was clear and strong with no tinnitus. It was gone in my cycle. I felt great.
      Today the tinnitus holds me in its grip. My heart is racing my mind is scattered and tinnitus is very loud.

But I just wanted to say FU to tinnitus. I will be strong and carry on. I will be strong.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      I don't know what started my tinnitus. I first noticed it one day early December but it was quiet and only lasted a few minutes. I remember thinking it was odd. I also had a feeling of sinus pressure changes around that time but no real congestion. Tinnitus came back around the 18th December 2020 for a day, then came back REALLY loud 23rd December for about 12 hours. Since the 28th December 2020 it has been loud 24/7.

I seem to be getting a high pitched hiss these past few weeks. It was a high pitched ring, and I do get the ring now still but it is overpowered by the hiss. When I wake in the middle of the night the hiss has gone and it is mainly a ring.

Other possible causes - Ibuprofen, headaches, blood pressure meds. I also get my ears syringed a few times a year because they overproduce wax.

I love my silence. When home alone I never ever have the TV on or music playing or anything. I never ever listen to music, I don't enjoy it at all so having to play these noise apps to handle tinnitus better is double painful for me. I enjoyed my peace and quiet noise before tinnitus and hated noise.

Every now and then I get weird pressure changes in my sinuses but not bad. Today my right ear feels mildly sore and blocked. Tinnitus is in both ears but worse in right.

Anyway, after all that, it has been about 2 months since initial onset. Volume is still intense. Is there any hope for me that this may still go away? Or is is considered chronic now and very unlikely?

I have seen many many doctors including ENT who have all been incredibly useless and unknowledgeable. I went to Tinnitus councelling at a hearing place (my hearing is normal) and all my $80 got me was a sales pitch for expensive ear devices and they recommended me an app I already have (Beltone).

I need hope. I am barely getting through the day. Every hour of every day is hard for me. I can't even be an attentive mother to my baby anymore so I have put him in childcare. His crying and screeching is painful for me and I can't handle it. :( Right now as I type this he has hurt himself and crying and wants a cuddle. I had to push him out the room and close the door because he is causing me physical pain. He is my much wanted, much long for child who I adore and I can no longer be a good mother.

I am merely existing, not living. Is there any realistic hope for me this could still be temporary?

5. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but since yours has lasted over a month, it is less likely to completely go away now. It could go away or reduce in loudness still.

Acute tinnitus is tinnitus that has lasted up to 3-12 months. Scientists and doctors aren't agreeing on the exact cutoff.
      Chronic tinnitus is tinnitus that has lasted at least 3-12 months.

6. cruise
      Relaxed

cruise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Of course there is hope. Many people have had tinnitus for months and years before they some day find that it is not there anymore. Even if it does not go away, the tinnitus will lose its power to alter your mood. You will be fine, just like before. You will learn to enjoy silence, with the tinnitus in the background, without it affecting your sense of calm. I know at this point you can not imagine that at all, and that is what is the hardest part of the stage that you are in. But you will soon start to realize that it is true, that the tinnitus does lose its power. It will start with the little things. To this day I can remember the exact moment when for the first time I was really distracted and my thoughts wandered away from the tinnitus. That was the first time I realized that things do change, and it was huge. Nowadays I would struggle to keep my focus on the tinnitus if I wanted to, because it is so boring to me that I get distracted right away.

Long story, but I hope this helps you to see that the way you are affected now is temporary, that you can count on.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      Thank you.