Time to Re-Think What I Do Next

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cher69, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      OK my T family after struggling for a few weeks now with sleep again and the anxiety creeping back - Ive found myself again at the docs looking for help. This time my usual doc is away so a new doc reviewed my history. After 5 mins catch up on my past 4 months he wont increase my AD's as he doesnt think this is right for me and he said I am not allowed now any more sleeping tablets. Sleep is my biggest worry - I get hardly any unless I take tablets - how did I get to this place again ;( !

Time to take a new line on this - so Ive ordered magnesium based on reviews on here and some other thing called 'Bach Rescue' based on a friends suggestion who is a nurse and swears by this stuff. Ive got my relaxation guided relaxation to listen too - my masking noises and Ive booked an acupunture session assessment using a web based offer thing we have in the UK to give it a go. I went for a 5km walk at lunch today and tonight Im taking the boy Dylan for another walk to keep busy and try and tire myself out.

Got to battle through next week at work then Ive booked a week off - to get my SLEEP sorted if I could sleep again I would be back on top of this

Wish me luck Im going in - onwards and upwards ( feeling a bit shaky ) but I need to sort out this sleep and if I cant get any more help from the Doc its now down to just me and other options. Will let you know how I get on on the next few days - Cher x

2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hey Cher....it is not unusual to have set backs every now and then-- we all have them. But the main thing is that they are only temporary and you will be back in the good again. So if you realize and accept that set backs are a part of the T process, the next time you have one it won't be as bad as the last.

• Like Like x 1
    3. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I certainly do wish you luck Cher69,what can you say except hang in there.Have you tried Valerian herb for sleep? If you get it make sure its a decent one strong enough to do the job.

All the best ,Pete

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Hi TY both for the support as always someone on here give you a leg up ! Ive read about Valerian for sleep but also somewhere read or asked the question if its ok to take with Anti-depressants ? When the Doc on Monday said so more sleeping pills which I understand I asked about taking other alternative ideas but I didn't mention any particular - Im keen to learn from anyone with experience of AD's and alternative sleeping remedies - Im a bit cautious about mixing what things I take but also right now prepared to give anything a go

Cher x

5. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      For how long did you use sleep medication? Do you have more than one GP? Perhaps others have a different opinion - or are you actually pleased to get off the meds.? Did you start to experience some serious side effects? What brands did you use? Strength? Some doctors are insensitive, would they rather we started drinking instead?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Tbh @Per I agree my usual doc has a different approach and I really wanted to see him as I kind of knew what he would do ! I agree sleep tabs zoplicone is defo not for the long term and I am scared about them so I hoped for a life line in the ADs ! But he wouldn't entertain that I am so out of my comfort zone I don't do 'ill' or doctors I usually don't ever need help so this is all new to me ! I actually think he is right and I need to get through this with self help support from others and some alternative options I wish tablets could fix this but it can't so I've got to learn to find the balance that gets me through. If only it's that easy? ! He has offered me COG therapy I'm thinking about that !?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      I'm currently on 20mg citalopram daily and have zoplicone 3.75 mg one or 2 tabs if I need them doc recently said to take 10 days of zoplicone to the and reset sleep as this is my biggest distress. I to date have not tried alternative remedies. I've today booked an hour acupuncture assessment and ordered some magnesium and sleep relaxation remedy. I hope to soon be back where I was and stronger Cher x

8. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Good luck hope it goes well for you, I have had 3 acupuncture treatments for T, it has helped with sleep and anxiety. Very expensive here and my insurance does not help defer the cost. Will need to find other methods to control my stress.

9. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi Cher, I am so sorry you are struggling with sleep during this setback. Insomnia was an issue for me even before I had tinnitus. T makes you tired in general; its even worse if you're exhausted from not sleeping.
      Along with the magnesium, take melatonin -- start with 6 mg, which is a pretty hefty dose. It's good to get exercise to tire yourself out. And I don't watch television or look at a computer screen at least an hour before I go to bed.

I am on anxiety meds and have not had a problem mixing natural supplements with them. Valerian, tryptophan and chamomile are good, too. Here in the US, we have a Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Xtra tea that has several of these supplements mixed together, and it packs a pretty good punch.

But if you can't get the natural stuff to work, you really should see if there is another GP out there who is willing to give you medication. What was the reason the other one said no? Like Per said, what would they prefer, have you go out and get bombed?

It will be OK and we all are here for you.

Oh, and PS: I have been getting acupuncture from an MD tinnitus researcher -- and it does seem to be helping. Has quieted the T some. So definitely give it a try.

10. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      How many treatments did you have before you noticed any change? And how did you find tinnitus researcher?

11. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi Leah: I first had three treatments from a traditional acupuncturist who came highly recommended and he was good. But he did more whole body treatments. Did ease my anxiety but didn't do a lot for the T. Still, it was only three treatments.

Then I entered the University of Miami's tinnitus program. And lo and behold, they have an inner ear surgeon who just happens to be interested in acupuncture. So I now have had three treatments from him. He just concentrates on the tinnitus and the ears. And I could be wrong... but I think its helping! My tinnitus seems quieter in the morning and in other parts of the day, although it still cranks up in the evening.

As for research: Ask around at any universities or large medical centers near you.

• Like Like x 2
    12. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      By COG therapy, does the doc mean cognitive behavorial therapy? If so I really recommend it. Helped me more than anything else I have done in the past four months. It is psychotherapy, done by a mental health counselor, designed to retrain the way you process adversity and anxiety. Can be done in conjunction with meds or not. A lot of studies have shown medications for anxiety or depression are much more effective when coupled with CBT.

13. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Just wanted to pop in here and offer you big hugs. I'm so sorry you are having a tough time :( bloody doctors!

In the mean time until you can see your regular doctor have you tried melatonin? I had a friend bring me back some 5mg tablets from the US (can't get them here in aus) and they work quite well - although gave me CRAZY dreams!

I'm also taking magnesium which is meant to relax you and I have tried Bach remedy stuff you are talking about - here it's called "rescue remedy" and my naturopath swears by the stuff. I used it through my labors!

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Thanks guys @LadyDi - last night I did open some wine and enjoyed every little drop - shared with Husband

@Amelia my friend is a midwife and she recommended rescue remedy she too used it thought her own labours I hope it arrives soon I want to start the next process of getting myself sorted and back on track

I really feel odd visiting Doctors about all this - although they have all been understanding and not done anything to make me feel I'm wasting their time or anything like that - but I am so not used to going to these people for help and I guess I still cant get my own head round the feelings / anxiety and sleep problems. Maybe I need that therapy but not sure right now if I can talk to someone openly and how they can help?

Im going to see how I get along in the coming weeks and maybe then visit the pharmacy and review the stuff with them you guys have mentioned and to be sure its OK to take this stuff with Citalopram - you can tell I am so not used to taking any meds apart from an odd pain-killer.

Strange to report that with this blip my T hasn't worsen at all if anything I think its a little down - especially in the night so Im holding onto that positive outcome and try and keep on the right track Cher x

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Early days but feeling better sleep starting to get better I've thrown the sleeping pills away and I've started the natural route I'm focused on positive events and booked my acupuncture session. Today I've been strong to help my teenage daughters through there issues and dealt with one of them having some alcohol and a few cheeky lies ! Teenager girls omg ! But in all the chaos this weekend I've stood up and I feel ok I hope tonight to sleep well a busy week ahead with work and probably more teenager issues to defuse ! Fingers crossed I'm on my way back up ;) early days but I feel more positive tonight than I have I weeks ;) xx

• Like Like x 1
    16. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      By reading your posts i see that your are fighting and keeping busy. Good. You'll get better i am sure of it.If you feel tired don't hesitate to take a rest while listening to soft music or nature noises. Sounds corny as advice but it helped me when i was in my fist months of tinnitus like you.

My physician tells me Valerian is ok and does not interact with other medication. Hypericum for example would be a poor choice because it interacts with other psychotropic medications.

:)

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Ty for your reply @daedalus it's good to hear from others about their knowledge on alternative options. I feel positive tonight even though my buzzing is loud and annoying I think the red wine is to blame ! But I like red wine so T buzzing you can do one ! Ok I hope at 2 am I still feel like this or asleep !!!

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      @Amelia @LadyDi - Im feeling so much better guys - had some really good nights sleeping - Ive taken control again got my magnesium, Rescue Remedy and other options to try in the coming weeks. Booked my acupunture session and looking forward to a week of work next week to have some fun - I think weather permitting that boy Dylan of mine will be out with me on some long walks.

Today Im off work my music is playing Ive baked shortbread for my girls they love it and Im feeling happy !

TY to all members who have given me support through a rough few weeks - Cher x

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    19. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      it is quite true that you might end up taking a lot of meds if you allow yourself to get dependent - that is happening to me actually, but on the other hand if i don't get my sleep i turn into a basket case also. instead of zopiclone and AD, I was recently put on lyrica, and it helps me out a lot in terms of sleep and quality of sleep. your MD might not be aware this med can help us, and he can start at a low dose of 25mg which will never get you addicted or dependent. you can gradually increase 50 - 75 - 100 etc until you find the correct amount - in my case i needed 150 due to the catastrophic kind of tinnitus i was getting - i was sure i would end up in a pine box, so my MD put me on lyrica.

20. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi Cher, glad you are keeping us posted. I have been thinking of you, having had a bit of a wobble myself last weekend. So happy you are doing better. Like Daedalus said, you really are determined to have a good, happy life that's not ruled by your tinnitus... and I know you will!

I wanted to mention I am doing acupuncture, too... and I think its helping! I hope you will find the same. I also use magnesium and melatonin for sleep. But I still need to boost it with a bit of a med at night, although I have been able to keep my doses very low.

Anyway, hugs and best wishes, my friend. And a pat on the head for Dylan!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    21. ColoredRed

ColoredRed Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Why don't you try Benzodiazepines? start with clonazepam, move to lorazepam, alprazolam (xanax), clorazepate, diazepam, flurazepam, midazolam, estazolam, clobazam, oxazepam, and more.. try to talk to the doctor to try different combinations of these drugs.
      did you also try Gabapentin? the Gabapentin is not
      if the antidepressant is not working anymore, maybe try to switch to other anti depressant?
      I also wonder why you are taking citalopram when there is a duplicate drug with less side-effects "escitalopram".

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      @ColoredRed I can only do what my GP is happy to prescribe he thinks I'm on the right AD for me and he didn't think I needed a change just yet. I am not prepared to take anyone zopiclone and they won't prescribe anymore so I've decided to try alternative options first with my AD and if in a few weeks I'm not Managing I will ask for a review. But I want to get off all prescription meds and hope the alternative options help me through and I can get back to normal and live my life with T. I do feel positive and I've taken control again.

Tonight I returned to the gym and hour of circuit training that should help me sleep well ! ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      @object16 I feel better now I've thrown the zopiclone away it scared me and wen I was desperate it helped but I wanted to get away from that stuff and the doc said I couldn't have anymore than 28 days which I took over a number of weeks, I've read on here about so many other options but the docs here have not considered changing mine and said citalopram is the best one for me! At the moment ! I'm happy to explore alternative options, and try them to help with sleep general well being. Cher x

• Like Like x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      @carlover Ive taken your advise and trying Valerian and Im sure it has helped me - Ive had some good sleep with it but still struggle some nights - but Im getting enough sleep to manage most of the time - and I feel positive Im doing things to try and keep me on the right road. TY for posting on my thread it was a post that helped me and wanted to let you know - Cher