Tingling in Face After Doing Exercises to Loosen Muscles Up — TMJ Related?

Discussion in 'Support' started by markdubby, Jun 5, 2021.

1. markdubby

markdubby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music + headphone use
      Hi all,

I had an acoustic incident with headphones 2 months ago with some residual tinnitus and TTTS in my right ear. While the tinnitus is not very high and I was making progress with the TTTS and sensitivity, I’ve developed an annoying tingling in my face, on the same right side.

I realised my jaw is really tight and posture is is quite bad (forward neck), so I was doing some exercises to try and loosen things up, after which the tingling followed.

Can this be a symptom of TMD? I feel that my jaw is out of alignment. I also had some pain when chewing on that side but no reaction to sound I think (I am being quite careful when I can).

I read that TTTS can potentially irritate the trigeminal nerve, leading to inflammation, but if this is TMJ related, can fixing my jaw and posture prevent this?

Thanks!

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      markdubby

markdubby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Also just to add, the day the face tingling started I had tingling all over my right arm and leg which I read can be a consequence of TMD. It seems that the lines are quite blurred between ASD which can cause similar symtpoms and TMJ, but am wondering if there is a mutual relationship between ASD symptoms and bad back/neck posture and a possible way of mutually improving both.

3. ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + Motorbike
      How are you doing now? I have a lot of these symptoms. The line is very blurry between ASD, ETD and Trigeminal Neuralgia.

I've had symptoms for over a year... whilst they've improved I'm still not better.

Shaun.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      markdubby

markdubby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey Shaun!

I'm doing better! I read this very informative paper by Norena:

An Integrative Model Accounting for the Symptom Cluster Triggered After an Acoustic Shock

And watched this interview by Westcott :

Tinnitus, Hyperacusis, Acoustic Shock...

And things are going much better as I'm learning to relax around sound and not obsess over the symptoms (I think I have a classic case of TTTS). I am also doing some physical therapy for my back and neck, more exercise and got a splint for my jaw as I was holding a lot of tension in my mouth. This can have a cascade effect with the nerves being entangled and all.

Spending less time on here definitely helps as well ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + Motorbike
      Very glad to hear it :)

Totally agree with the relaxing round sound... I had a great weekend after been neutral to sound etc... Back to work and stress and the pains back, yuck.

Hope you make a full recovery!
      Shaun