Tinnitology and Dr. Abraham Shulman

Discussion in 'Support' started by Luman, Apr 18, 2018.

1. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thank you for the link Lane. I appreciate it. I have read it before. According to Dr. Shulman's studies and working with tinnitus patients for more than 40 years, this combo helps those with severe head tinnitus. There are a few members on Tinnitus Talk taking the combo with success.

Like everything else, it either works for you or it doesn't. You have to make a decision and live with it.

Once

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Neil Bauman likes to sell e-books. I don't think he is nowhere near as qualified as Dr. Shulman regarding tinnitus treatments.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. Carltonr

Carltonr Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo tapering
      Once,
      So glad to know that Dr. Shulman took good care of you and now you feel much better living a full life. Thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      But since he's saying that gabapentin is ototoxic, wouldn't it be a good idea to research it further to see if what he's saying has any credence? For me, it was enough to back off from even trying it, as I'm super-sensitive to literally all medications. -- A single dose of an ototoxic drug gave me this horrible tinnitus, and I want to make sure I do whatever I can to not make it worse, including not taking any unnecessary risks with other drugs that are known to be ototoxic.

5. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      You know your own body Lane. And since you are super sensitive with medications, I would also be extra careful on what medications to take. I wish you the best in finding a treatment that works for you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Two uses for gabapentin is for physical condition neuropathic pain and central neuropathic pain. It's used for specific physical condition pain and it may be that a particular condition relates to a person's tinnitus.

Even knowing the source of condition pain, gabapentin may not directly or at all help a person with healing. A positive correction of a particular physical condition usually needs to take place otherwise use is just temporary physical pain relief to whatever degree.

To research gabapentin as a single search function or a gabapentin tinnitus search is pretty much useless when particular physical condition(s) have surfaced. So is any doctor unless they know what your condition(s) are. Actual condition research is needed to know if gabapentin will help with discomfort or make things worse. If gabapentin makes a particular condition worse or causes reaction to other processes then tinnitus could get worse. To find all the information needed is for advanced medical condition(s) study and this may take many hours of search and reading.

Gabapentin also should be tapered when use is discontinued. Those that increase beyond a 100mg should taper back down to 100mg.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Carltonr

Carltonr Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo tapering
      Dear Once,
      Dr. Shulman prescribed Klonopin at low dose 1/2 of .5mg (.25mg?) in mid February 2019 and you took it since and felt much better. Are you able to keep at .25mg ? Have you added gabapentin since Dr Shulman suggested waiting until May 2019? I am thinking to reinstate Klonopin .25mg/gabapentin and to wait for Nuromod….Is this a good idea
      and pleases provide any comment. Many thanks

8. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Gabapentin like many meds can't be taken with certain other meds. Certain combos is one reason for a difficult tinnitus withdrawal. One way to find out if you can take two meds or even a vitamin and a med together is to place them side by side into internet search. Over the counter Tylenol and magnesium are often mentioned as a good combo to take together online, but there's many reports of problems from taking both and ERs see this often. So who is right on what drugs and vitamins to take and how much. It depends on knowing all your conditions. This is a high number report, but the drug companies rule medicine and the internet.
      https://www.ehealthme.com/drug-interaction/tylenol/magnesium/

9. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest