Tinnitracks — A New Audio App Claims to Treat Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Stink, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/19/a-new-audio-app-claims-to-treat-tinnitus/

Tinnitus.jpg

Tinnitus affects the ears but it originates in the brain. The condition, which causes ringing in the ears, is mainly triggered by age-related hearing loss and prolonged exposure to excessively loud noise. But neuroscientific studies reveal that tinnitus is a symptom of abnormal hyperactivity in the brain's auditory cortex. While most people affected by it resign themselves to chronic pain, Tinnitracks, a new web-based app, claims to treat the cause of the problem through filtered audio therapy.

The premise of the app, from German startup Sonormed, is neuroplasticity, or the brain's ability to adapt and constantly learn new things. The app analyzes individual tracks and filters the frequency that causes tinnitus for each user. On playback, the listener's hearing adapts to the audible alteration (or notches) and over time the hyperactivity in the brain is toned down. Essentially, it takes three steps: select music files from personal collection, filter tinnitus frequency and upload a personalized track to an MP3 player to start therapy.

Tinnitracks was one of nine winners at SXSW's Accelerator startup competition this past weekend. The therapy breaks ground by going a step beyond conventional methods of managing symptoms and effectively treats the condition that affects 50 million Americans. The prescribed music listening experience is one to two hours a day for at least six months. With consistent effort, the therapy could treat subjective, tonal and even chronic conditions. For those who still insist on taking on the high-decibel concert season without earplugs, this might be a good app to bookmark.

2. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Does this work? Has anyone tried it? Notched filtered music has been around for a while. At 539 Euros not cheap. I think anyone with a bit of audio savvy (Steve comes to mind) could actually make this music for free.

3. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
    4. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    5. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      It appears to be an incredibly simple tool made complicated, with a proportionally large price tag.

The link by @Sound Wave is the same tool, it is a very basic filter working on the exact same principle. The difference as I understand it in Tinnitracks is that it processes each track rather than just filtering your music collection as you listen (the easiest way to do it but more difficult to charge a subscription for).

Nothing groundbreaking, been around for years, the writer of the article just didn't do their research.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      A 1-year license is modestly priced at:

Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 21.27.11.png

They have some serious support though (which may at least in part explain the number of articles about their product, as opposed to Tinnitus Pro, AudioNotch or other NMT services, none of which have received as much media attention as Tinnitracks):

http://www.tinnitracks.com/en/about
      The company behind Tinnitracks is supported by the Hamburg Investment and Development Bank, the Hamburg Kreativ Gesellschaft and by prize money awarded by the German Federal Ministry of Economics and the European Union (FORT).

7. Cor

Cor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It seems this company simply wants to make as much money as possible through the misery of others. That price tag is absurd.

• Agree Agree x 4
    8. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      539€ for an app? Never! That is an insolence.

For 539€ I want a real treatment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Thanks Steve for your post. So I am ok buying this much cheaper APP and than let it rework any playlist?
      Or do we have anything which can be run on PC?
      Thanks

10. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    11. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Hi Steve,
      Thanks. I logged in to AudioNotch and at the time in November 2013 I measured my tinnitus to be 16,5 kHz. Is sound therapy than still effective? As AudioNotch says above 13 kHz it is not proven to be effective...
      Any advice is welcome! Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    12. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No it probably won't be. It has to notch out a frequency so when you get into frequencies as high as that you are effectively just cutting out the high frequency as your hearing won't perceive high enough. Unless you have incredibly good hearing of course.

Music is quite limited for notching too, it generally doesn't have a whole load going on at really high frequencies, much better for tinnitus at a lower frequency. If it's higher you need to use a broadband noise that has plenty going on up there.

13. Neil991
      Curious

Neil991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Guys, instead of sidelining Tinnitracks... let's try and find some people who are using it and see if it really works? Why else is it gaining so much recognition? Obviously they must have tried it on some people first!
      I think people here would gladly pay 589 euros if it tones down their tinnitus by 70-80%.

Any help or feedback on Tinnitracks would be great!!

• Like Like x 1
    14. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Neil991

I don't think that it's being unfairly sidelined. It's just that it is absolutely identical to Audionotch, which has been around for years and the principle is identical to the "tinnitus pro" app. Plus it is also relatively easy to do exactly the same therapy yourself.

The main reason it is gaining such recognition is that it has a lot of money behind it. With money you can do a lot of things, attend all the shows, buy publicity and enter every competition that will give you notoriety.

They aren't doing anything bad or misleading, the therapy genuinely will likely work for a group of people, there is a body of research that tells us this. It's just a copy of current therapies and a lot more expensive than them.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Neil991
      Curious

Neil991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Hey @Steve

I am new and have never tried anything for my tinnitus. Do you think I should give this or Tinnitus Pro a try and see if it works on me? What I mean to ask is are there any negative effects of this therapy?

Also, are you aware of any company or any drug which is underway? I sincerely hope that help is on the way!

Regards
      Neil

16. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ah now there's a question that could yield a pretty large answer.

There are a few things to look out for, but rather than me go through them here take a look at the treatment and research news sections and you'll see what gets the most attention.

Notched audio could work for you, it may be worth trying, I recommend the free route first to see how you respond. If you want any help with that just PM me. There are also other audio possibilities, it really is a matter of trying them though as people respond in different ways to audio treatments, no one-size-fits-all approach unfortunately.

17. Zam

Zam Member

Is there a good notched audio app for Android? All the ones I've seen so far are for iPhone.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/innova...app-first-german-start-receive-172714047.html

A soon-to-be-released app for treating tinnitus turned heads at the South-by-Southwest Music, Film and Interactive Festival (SXSW) in Austin, Texas for its innovative approach to treatment.

With Tinnitracks, treating tinnitus is as simple as listening to your favorite music for at least one hour per day for six months in a quiet surrounding.

Tinnitus is characterized by a constant ringing in the ear despite an absence of sound, which indicates over-activity in the corresponding set of auditory nerves.

Requiring no special equipment, all it takes is uploading your music to the app, which determines the therapeutic potential of each track.

Suitable tunes are described as having high auditive energy and should fall within frequency ranges corresponding to that of your tinnitus throughout the duration of the track.

The app assesses your music for these criteria and others using a neuro-acoustic method, according to the company.

Once it's picked out the tunes pertinent to treating your tinnitus, the app filters your tinnitus frequency out of the music files.

By distracting your eardrums with sounds in frequencies other than that of your tinnitus, the hyperactivity in the nerves that cause tinnitus get channeled elsewhere.

The app, which stores and plays music in MP3 format, is not capable of measuring your individual tinnitus frequency, so patients are advised to seek out the help of a hearing aid audiologist or doctor to determine it.

Hamburg-based parent company Sonormed won the SXSW Start-up Accelerator Award in the Digital Health and Life Sciences Technologies category, making it the first German company to take that honor.

Currently, Tinnitracks is a web-based app and a one-year subscription costs $539.

The company is working on a smartphone app.

Other solutions for treating tinnitus include Mutebutton, which stimulates the nerves on the tongue that connect to the brain.

Other options for sufferers of tinnitus include the Levo platform from Otoharmonics, which is accessible on an iPod Touch that's included when patients sign up for treatment.

A 2014 study conducted at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston says drinking coffee could reduce the risk of tinnitus.

• Creative Creative x 1
    19. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It seems Tinnitracks will be charging €19 / month for the mobile app.

Meaning that if you want both the desktop & mobile experience, it's a total of €995 ($1055) per year. That is a lot when it doesn't seem to be anything more than notched sound therapy.

tinnitracks.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Gabrielle
      No Mood

Gabrielle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe bad syringing
      I think it's just business... people try to make money... they know there a millions of people with tinnitus in fear and hope. My ENT already said: 'Watch out for business people who claim a tinnitus cure, they know people are in fear and hope and will try everyting. But forget is, it will not work, there is nothing for tinnitus, only try to live with it'.

• Funny Funny x 1
    21. Beessie
      Relaxed

Beessie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      21-01-2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? + badluck? Clubbing? IDK!
      Doubtfull about this threatment, just read the article in my local news paper.
      Good thing is the company in The Netherlands is located near my town, so I might get a chat with those entrepreneurs.

It it probally money related, the article says that approximately 6,5 BILIION!! Euro's are lost due to Tinnitus. This is only in The Netherlands let alone in the US, Germany etcetera. At least this number will give government the need for more research:).

If I go to the company, I will tell you guys if you might have any questions I can ask the,.

Bas.

BTW, the newspaper says it will cost around 19 Euro per month

22. Peter_Sweden
      Doubtful

Peter_Sweden Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Hello!

I just wondered if anyone has tested this or some similar app? If so, did it work for you? I also read somewhere about that they are developing some kind of video game that somehow is based on this or some similar functionality. Anyone who knows more about that? I think it was some university in the USA that worked on it.

Please observe that I'm new to this forum and also pretty new to tinnitus so I'm sorry if I have some stupid questions.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,
      Peter

23. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      It's notched audio therapy, disguised in an expensive rip off package.

• Like Like x 3
    24. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Peter_Sweden
      Doubtful

Peter_Sweden Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Thanks a lot! I will read more about it and see if it can be something for me.

Thanks dboy! I will have a look at it and see if it's something that I should try out. :)

• Like Like x 1
    26. Ragman

Ragman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      You can do the same thing with Audacity and it is free. You can notch noise, and music. Combine noise with music, or tones. With the BAND STOP FILTER you can notch from one frequency to I think it is four octaves. You can combine different tracks, adjust the sound to be louder in one ear than the other, you can adjust the sound so one track is louder than the other. There is so many things you can do with the program with a little experience. I would check this before paying a bunch of money for something that does the same thing. My T has be ongoing now for one year this month. I have been able to get some temp relief, but it still jumps up and bites me. I have had it as low as a 1 on the scale of 1-10, but do far the longest it has lasted is a couple of days. Learning to cope a bit better. If anyone has a question you can leave a message and I will try and answer it, regarding Audacity.
      Ragman

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
    28. Phil Cooper

Phil Cooper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Either Dental work or an ear infection.
      Hi, I have been using Tinnitracks since March this year, fortunately it was covered by the health care system here in Germany. Initially I was very optimistic, so much so I invested in an expensive pair of Bose ear buds as I would have to wear them for 90 minutes a day minimum so comfort was important.

Initially after listening to my music which had been notched I noticed that my tinnitus appeared louder, I was advised this was to be expected. 7 months later I can say i have seen no improvement in the volume of my tinnitus.

What has changed though is the frequency, it has raised from 8400 Hz to just under 10000 Hz. I am not sure if this is a good thing and my audiologist stated that a change is good... I will let you know after the treatment finishes in March 2018.

• Informative Informative x 2
    29. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      currently unknown, conductive hearing loss suspected
      I have looked at Tinnitracks and gave it a thumbs down within seconds!!

As previously commented, it is an over priced variant of notched therapy.

Another thing to be aware of and this applies to ANY therapeutic system that uses music as its foundation, if you have hyperacusis in tandem with tinnitus it likely will not be effective.

Hyperacusis has to be treated as a separate issue from tinnitus.

Also if your tinnitus was caused and/or triggered by exposure to loud noises, using headphones will have the effect of exacerbating, rather than easing tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is way different than all of you , ask me how
      Tried it, it just mixed up your tinnitus frequency with your song and makes you listen to it for 30 minutes or something daily... don't ask me how I got the app tho.

Attached Files: