Tinnitus — Dreaming...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lorenzo74, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi All..

Two nights ago I had a very strange dream and thought about sharing it and wondering if others had similar too…

In my dream I was clearing some land or something with my hands and eventually I heard a big loud noise and all of a sudden I felt as my T on my left ear had gone super high and it freaked me out (while dreaming)… Then I woke up in the morning and my T was the same as usual on both ears, but on the dream it just felt so realistic and so loud… really weird…

First time I had T in my dreams… and hope the last one…

Take care you all...

2. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      one night a fleeting T(real) showed up in my dream and it woke me up, very strange feeling and quite scary....

3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Early on, I one night had a terrible nightmare... it was like being in the middle of a thunderstorm, no specific images. I woke up, terrified... and my tinnitus was screaming. I think somehow my volume ramped up and created the dream. It never has happened again, though.

However (and I have been meaning to post on this): I predominately take Rozerem for sleep, as it is pharmaceutical grade melatonin. I prefer it over a benzo, AD, Ambien etc.

But... I have had the WILDEST dreams since I have been on this med. Like the kind of dreams that could inspire surrealistic paintings. Last week, I dreamed I had a cat with four eyes -- two in the normal place but two on its stomach. I was chasing it around but couldn't figure out how to pick up my pet without injuring its stomach eyes. Crazy.

Anyone else had dreams on this drug??

• Like Like x 2
    4. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      My tinnitus is still loudest first thing in the morning or overnight. Anytime I move and am half awake overnight the perception seems extremely loud. I am used to it now though so it doesn't bother me as much. It seems to stay out of my dreams though.

The weirdest thing I had was in my first month and during highest anxiety days, I would wake up with this extremely loud CLANG or gong sound. It would scare the crap out of me and I would jump up. Thankfully that stopped.

5. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      On rare occasions I've had tinnitus in my sleep, or a dream about tinnitus. Otherwise, sleep is the one thing I can do to not hear my tinnitus. In a sense, it has almost made me look forward to every night from the moment I wake up. Kind of sad, actually.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Michael2013,

What you experienced in the early days of your tinnitus could be "exploding head syndrome". See below.
      http://yoursleep.aasmnet.org/Disorder.aspx?id=33

According to this article, a sudden loud noise can occur at the beginning of sleep, or when you wake up suddenly. And it could be caused by anxiety or lack of sleep, which is what you might have experienced in the early days of T.

Does this sound like what you experienced?

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      It is not kind of sad, it is very sad. Sounds like classical depression. Believe me, I understand! I hope you will consider some form of treatment for it. At the very least, try to find something that really sparks your interest in an effort to put the "T" in the backseat. That is no way to live. Don't allow the "T" to rule your life!

8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I dream I'm cured all the time...at least a couple of times a week. Sometimes I dream I wake up (while still in my dream) and it was all a bad dream, and that the condition doesn't even exist. Then I wake to reality and the screeching.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I am getting better, and yes, for a long time, I have been depressed due to T. I'm too worried about anti-depressants because of the possibilities of them being ototoxic... I don't need anything to make the underlying cause of my depression worse.

But each day does get better. I have my ups and downs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Haha, crazy dreams are pretty common with melatonin.

I just take regular grade melatonin because the script version here is crazy overpriced. I feel like I literally dream for hours some nights, I also notice my dreams are a lot more vivid (almost cinematic) and I find it a lot easier to recall dreams when I'm taking melatonin. I love it!

11. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      We all have our ups and downs. We are all more alike than we are different. My wife has had "T" much longer than I. I remember a time long before I developed it when she spoke about it often. How it drove her crazy. I was not sympathetic........mostly, because I had no clue how difficult it is to live with. I also remember a co-worker had it over 30 years ago. It literally made him so crazy to the extent he was disabled. I watched it destroy him. He said he could not sleep, because of it. It was difficult to watch, but impossible to understand what he was going through.
      All that being said, I notice in the last year or two that my wife has had no obvious ill effects from her "T". Lives a pretty normal life and never speaks of it. So last month I asked her how her "T" was. She said the same. I asked, "why don't you ever speak of it anymore?" She said, "Why should I?" "There is nothing I can do about it." "I've just learned to live with it." I've accepted it." "I don't let it bother me anymore."
      I have to tell you; That discussion really helped me to understand what I needed to do. It also helped me out of the depression. I have found that if I can focus outside of myself instead of on my "T", it disappears. It always returns during quiet moments and when boredom sets in. During those times, I have learned that I have to control my thoughts away from my "T". However, I have learned that I "can" live a normal life with my "T".
      It isn't "T" anymore..............it is just t

12. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I started a thread about dreams a very long time ago, but it keeps fascinating me and I don't understand it. I have never, in my 15 years with tinnitus, experienced tinnitus in my dreams and I find that very odd, considering how other external sounds sometimes appear in dreams. How can this be?

• Good Question Good Question x 1