Tinnitus... 10,640 People Just on This Site and There's Nothing That Helps

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by jeannie, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Mr. Shatner has been interviewed in one video for ATA, what else has he done? Can you look up his twitter and facebook and see if he mentions tinnitus?

2. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise anxiety and antidepressants
      Yes he had done a ton of work for tinnitus awareness more than any enter celebrity by far, and probably did most of it for free since he donates to the ATA.

In 1995 he testified before Congress in support of tinnitus research funding on behalf of the ATA. He has told his story on most of the major networks in interviews ABC,CBS and NBC. Spoke about in detail on David Letterman, NPR Radio, Has done fundraising for Action on Hearing Loss....the list goes on look it up.

Google him, watch the interviews on youtube or read the articles where he mentions tinnitus.

Besides Tinnitus he has done lots of charity work for other organizations, including habitat for humanity. In 2014 NASA even gave him the Distinguished Public Service medal - highest award NASA gives a non-government employee, for his charity work.

3. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      Hey @Markku I have money to spare for donations this time around. Can we do this?

4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I would rather that a couple of folks on this board (i.e. one of the teams) come up with a clever idea e.g. "the one click campaign" or "the one dollar campaign".

This board does indeed have many members, or, rather visitors. So find a mechanism for how to get hold of them with a proper message. There are ways, but it takes a little bit of time to design it right.

The underlying message is: I'd rather have 500 people spend one dollar than 50 members spending 10 dollars. In addition, I wouldn't have moral problems with the campaign collecting more than 500 dollars if the limit is one dollar per person.

5. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      I think at the end of the day, money will get the job done like it always does. When someone comes across a theory on how to treat a certain cause of tinnitus with a new drug or other patentable technology, they will think of all the money they can make doing it, and will get into production somehow. Neuro-science R&D, at least at the consumer level, seems to be in an early stage; the brain and its workings is still an illusive beast (from what I can tell).
      But awareness is good; could get some people thinking about making money in this area instead of some other one.