Tinnitus, A Personal View

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Leigh, Nov 24, 2016.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @JudyM

Thank you for your kind comments Judy it is much appreciated. It took many months to write this article as I was going through a very difficult time with my tinnitus. I threw the towel in many times but support from some close friends enabled me to finish it. I am working on another project and hopefully be able to complete that too.

Although you say the cause of your tinnitus is unknown, something usually causes it. Exposure to loud noise is the most common, other things can cause it too. Tinnitus will fluctuate a lot in the early stages which you are in but it will settle down in time.

Take care and I wish you well.
      Michael

2. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      currently unknown, conductive hearing loss suspected
      @micheal Leigh, although much of the article you wrote is very much familiar territory to me, I think it will definitely serve as a good guidepost for people wo are in the early stages of suffering tinnitus, I have only had t since about 2012 or thereabouts, and as sure as eggs is eggs it can play absolute havoc,( in my case sleep has been the primary casualty but have , after much experimentation found a means of mitigating against its intrusiveness), I would like to recommend a book by Jan L Mayes on the subject, it is entitled"tinnitus toolbox, hyperacusis handbook" this book starts by explaining the mechanism of hearing and how tinnitus plays a role, then goes on to discuss available tools to treat both hyperacusis and Tinnitus. what I particularly like about her book is she clearly advises readers to be very critical of products making wild, unsubstantiated claims, and she also points to scientific papers and relevant research so that people can make informed decisions based on facts instead of the usual BS that is being peddled in some quarters. as a bonus, the pages are peppered with her quirky sense of humour, she is a practicing audiologist in cannabis..

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your comments @pathworker2017 My article is as you've mentioned, directed towards people that are new to tinnitus.

I hadn't heard of Jan L Mayes and will look out for her book: Tinnitus and hyperacusis tool box. Many thanks.

Take care
      Michael

4. Gansen Moodley

Gansen Moodley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Through noise induced hearing loss
      Well written Michael, thank you for sharing, your knowledge on tinnitus is amazing, I can relate to so many of them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Gansen Moodley
      Thank you for your kind comments they are much appreciated.
      Take care
      Michael

6. Gansen Moodley

Gansen Moodley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Through noise induced hearing loss
      Just to tap on your experience, one of my major concerns right now is that when for whatever reason my sleep is disturbed, I cannot fall of to sleep again. I am at peace with myself when asleep but the moment I am awake, not necessarily eyes open, tinnitus takes over, once again this morning I got up at 03h52 and have been awake since.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Gansen Moodley

Tinnitus can affect our sleep for a number of reasons particularly when someone is new to the condition. After a while, perhaps within 6 months their normal sleep pattern returns. Some people may need the help of medication in the form of a sleeping draft or a herbal drink before retiring to help induce sleep.

Life is problematic and all of us will be affected by stress to various degrees. It is directly linked to tinnitus and can affect it profoundly and therefore has to be managed. Covid 19 is just one example of what stress can do. It has had a huge impact on many peoples lives and will probably continue to do so for quite some time.

You have had tinnitus for 18 months. If your inability to return to sleep after you have awoken is something that has recently occurred, then stress could be a factor and you may want to try relaxation and deep breathing exercises. You could also try a herbal drink before retiring or have a talk with your doctor who may suggest a sleeping draft. If your tinnitus is noise induced and you have hearing loss? Have you been fitted with a hearing aid/s?

The above are just a few suggestions and I hope you start to feel better soon.
      All the best

Michael

PS: Please remember to use sound enrichment at night and not to sleep in a quiet room.

8. GaryTH
      Panicky

GaryTH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure, stress, NSAIDS, eabuds, shingles vaccine
      I have heard this idea that overprotecting your ears long term can make the auditory system more hypersensitive to sound. Is this advice based on anecdotal evidence or has there been a scientific study that supports it? I have been searching the internet and have yet to find one.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @GaryTH

Peruse some of the posts in this forum from people that overuse hearing protection and find their tinnitus and hyperacusis become worse, and the auditory system more sensitive to sound. In addition to this other symptoms can develop that I mention in my post: The complexities of tinnitus and hyperacusis in the link below. Science has its place in this world but when it comes to tinnitus, hyperacusis and understanding these conditions, experience will trump science every time and information written on websites by people that have no long term experience of these conditions. With respect you have had tinnitus for a short while and will find this out in due course. Please click on the link below and read my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it.

I wish you well.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-complexities-of-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis.25733/

10. Dirtworks

Dirtworks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly loud power tools
      Wow! Well written and very informative Michael. You are the real Mr “T”!!

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your very kind comments @Dirtworks, it means a lot. Writing this article took many months for I was going through a very difficult period with my tinnitus as mentioned in the introduction. In addition to this I had recently moved to my new home in Brighton. It is often said, moving homes is very stressful as it can require two to three years to fully settle in, to one's new surroundings and getting to know neighbours. Fortunately this transition went smoothly and I'm pleased to be living on the south coast.

I see that you have recently joined the forum and your tinnitus was caused by loud noise. If you have any questions about tinnitus, please feel free to ask as there are some knowledgeable people here.

Take care and wishing you all the best.

Michael

12. kamil1364

kamil1364 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise-induced
      @Michael Leigh

Michael, if you don't mind answering, how old were you when you first got tinnitus?

One of the hardest part for me when it comes to tinnitus is fact that I am 18 years old, and it's really depressing to think that I still haven't really achieved anything, and I will need to do it with this noise in my head. I don't know many people my age with tinnitus.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus can be difficult to manage @kamil1364 but it can improve so your life isn't over. If you allow negativity to get hold or be influenced by negative thinking people, then it can feel like your life has no purpose. I got tinnitus at 36 years of age and thought my life was over. I am 61 and still here. At times life hasn't been easy but I'm going to try my best to live it. If you need any help please ask.

Please go to my started threads and read my articles that I hope will be of some help. I see on your Avatar, that your tinnitus was noise induced. My advice is not to use headphones, earbuds or headsets even at low volumes.

Take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    14. kamil1364

kamil1364 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise-induced
      Thank you for your advice Michael. I use headphones rarely and only at low volume, and it hasn't made my tinnitus worse so far.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Be careful Kamil.

All the best,
      Michael

16. RHL

RHL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      referee whistle
      Michael, there's one distinction you didn't make that I'd appreciate your thoughts on. What about listening to low volume podcasts on headphones or earbuds? Not music so there isn't the range disparity.... I've also noticed that earbuds actually reduce some of the very loud sounds in my busy commercial neighborhood when I'm walking around listening to a podcast (buses releasing their air brakes, loud diesel trucks, sports cars without mufflers gunning their engines, yappy little dogs freaking out over my big Bernese, etc).

Oh, and what about noise cancelling headphones with a podcast on airline flights? Again, not music.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi RHL.

Thank you for your questions, which have been raised many times in this forum and I have often replied to them. When you have time, please peruse my post history or go to my started threads, where I hope you will find information, I have written on tinnitus and hyperacusis helpful.

The advice I give in this forum mostly pertains to tinnitus and hyperacusis and the way these conditions can affect a person's mental and emotional wellbeing. My advice is not absolute as we are all different but they are based on personal experience and information gathered from corresponding and counselling people with Noise induced tinnitus.

My advice to anyone that has noise induced tinnitus, is not to listen to any type of audio through: Headphones, earphones, earbuds, headsets, AirPods or noise cancelling headphones even at low volume, as there is a risk of making the tinnitus worse. I have explained this in many posts and in the link below: Will My Tinnitus Get Worse?

Some people with noise induced tinnitus, are able to use headphones and the other devices mentioned as their tinnitus is not affected which is fine. However, each time a person with noise induced tinnitus, uses headphones etc, they are taking a risk. The tinnitus only needs to spike once which can result in the tinnitus increasing to a new permanent level as often happens. Sorry to sound so sobering but I have corresponded with many people that have noise induced tinnitus who have successfully habituated. They returned to using headphones and unfortunately found their tinnitus becoming worse.

The choice is yours whether you want to use earbuds or noise cancelling headphones to listen to audio.

I wish you well.
      Michael

Will My Tinnitus Get Worse? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

18. RHL

RHL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      referee whistle
      Thanks for your quick reply, and apologies for repeating a question you've already partially answered (though to be honest, I only made it through the first page of your thread, which took quite a while thanks to all your very informative comments and interactions with readers).

You were clear that headphones for music are to be discouraged, but less clear about podcasts or news radio at low volumes. Thanks for the clarifications! And for your wonderful work to educate us.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your kind comments RHL.

You are quite right that my article does not mention to refrain from listening to Podcasts or speech radio through headphones. I began to write Tinnitus, A Personal View in 2015, when my tinnitus was very severe and have mentioned this in the introduction. It took me months to write and threw in the towel many times, as it was incredibly difficult to concentrate with the cacophony of noise within my head, although some days were better than others and fortunately, was able to finish it. Since then my knowledge and experience of noise induced tinnitus has increased, helped by corresponding with people affected by this condition.