Tinnitus After a Fever, Had It for 9 Days Now

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Pcam1988, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Pcam1988

Pcam1988 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After I had a fever
      Hi, like the title suggests I am new to this. I had a fever on return from a holiday and went to the doctor who prescribed me ibruprofen and paracetamol/codiene. After taking this for roughly four days I developed a bad headache and ringing in my right ear only. I’ve stopped taking the medication as i feel a lot better with no aches and no headaches anymore. The ringing has gotten considerably worse over the past 2 days and it’s realimg starting to effect me. Sleeping has become very difficult due to the constant ringing. I have tried using masking sounds but they don’t sooth me at all. I have bought every supplement possible also.

I know time wise is very short for me in comparison to others but it is really loud. I have an appointment at an ent doctor tommorow. The standard doctor just gave me a nasal spray and said it would be fluid build up as my ear didn’t seem to be inflamed.

I have muffled hearing in the right also because of this. Possibly the worst infection or problem I have ever had, if only it would just go away so I can be happy again.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. I feel for your suffering as a new T sufferer. Members here have been there where you are so you are not alone here. This initial stage is usually the worst as the sensation of T ringing is too alien and fresh for the brain to ignore it. Perceiving as a threat with anxiety and stressful reaction, the limbic nervous system is now active to alert us of the 'danger' of T and the Amygdala, the fight or flight center of the brain is at work to make things worse than it is. So be mentally be prepared for this initial stage of T. That way, knowing that you will get better later, you can avoid too much stress and anxiety which can aggravate T further. Try your best to stay calm and positive that things will improve over time, as humanly possible as possible. This include your slcep problem which hopefully will improve when you find the right masking sounds and perhaps with some sleep help. What kind of masking sounds you have been using that you find not soothing? Are they nature sounds? Is your T high pitch? Here are some masking suggestions and hopefully you will find something helpful:

1) Mask at bed time if having trouble sleeping, by using a sound pillow or sound machine with pillow speakers. There are good sound machine & pillow therapy systems like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Oasis-...d-Oasis-Therapy-System-Speakers/dp/B00MH5HKTA

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipod with nature sounds or music using itune. If you have a smart phone, you can download free APPs for soothing or T-masking sounds. Use wisdom in the use of headphones or earbuds as extended use or excessive volume may hurt your ears. Try set the volume slightly below that of your tinnitus.

3) With PC & speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds to see which one masks best:

TT's excellent audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: https://mynoise.net

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or click play to mix these sounds with this simple sound generator: http://asoftmurmur.com/

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

If masking alone doesn't help sleep, then perhaps try to get a prescription sleep aid, such as Remeron. If you prefer more natural stuffs, then Melatonin may help. Here is a good site with more natural alternatives for helping sleep and calming the nerves. Good luck. Take care. God bless.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...ealth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia /

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pcam1988

Pcam1988 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After I had a fever
      I can’t sleep which is so frustrating. I’m getting a couple of hours then as soon as I awake I can’t drift off again. I can’t live on 2 hours sleep a night and then do a ful days work. Feeling stuck at the moment. Trying hard to stay positive but it’s really effecting me badly.

4. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      At night I start around 1030 take a shower to calm you, I listen to wind chimes for awhile take 2 melatonin 2 tyenol PM, I wear a eye mask so it's dark switch sound machine to ocean and I'm good. I stick to that routine. I usually sleep thru the night.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      This doctor also used Melatonin for his sleep issue. He is also masking when T got really intrusive. It is a new normal for many T sufferers to require masking as well as some forms of sleep aids.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/curing-tinnitus.4136/page-5#post-40854

There should be more inputs on sleep from the success stories. Try to read them to give you hope and learn some wisdom. There is also a sleep thread where people discussed what work for their sleep:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/sleep-thread-—-hygiene-supplements-medication-etc.4509/

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pcam1988

Pcam1988 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After I had a fever
      I had an ent appointment and hearing test today to determine the problem. My test showed that i have lost roughly 5% to 10% of hearing in my right ear, the results dipped the higher the frequency. The doctor told me the problem lies in the inner ear which obviously can’t be treated. I have been prescribed the prednisone steroid and been given some nasal spray. My T has remained constant over the past couple of days with no let up. I’m trying to keep a positive mindset.

Has anyone had much experience with hearing aids? The cost doesn’t bother me I just want to try and find a solution where the buzzing noise does constantly effect me 24/7.

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think they're worth a try: some people have good results with them.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pcam1988

Pcam1988 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After I had a fever
      Thanks for your response. I’m defiantly going to look at it, i no I have lost a bit of hearing but i can still hear at the end of the day. The hearing loss i can cope with I just need to get over or find something for the ringing. Once I have mastered this I’m sure I can lead my normal life once more.

I had to take the first prednisone tablets at 4:30pm today and I am wide awake 12 hours later with no chance of sleep. I only slept 2 hours the night previous also. Think I need another trip to the docs to see if I can get something to help me drift off as masking sounds aren’t really working for me at present.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pcam1988

Pcam1988 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After I had a fever
      I’m sort of having a love hate relationship with this forum. I no I shouldn’t trawl through it but I really can’t help it. I no that I haven’t had my T for very long compared to others and there could still be hope it will eventually subside but I’m a pessimist by nature. I it is bothering me a lot but I don’t want to admit I’m anxious or stressed as I don’t really no the feeling of either. Got some tablets to try and help me sleep tonight and also going back to the audiologist to talk about my results and try a hearing device (I no it’s early but if it helps me I will pay for one).

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pcam1988

Pcam1988 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After I had a fever
      I’m able to sleep now with the aid of the sleeping gels and I put the masking sound of crickets on at night and it seems to do the trick. I have a tester hearing aid which currently isn’t doing much but I feel I might need to get it reset to pick up higher frequencies, does anyone have information on the tester aids they give you? I assume there not the best quality due to it being a free trial?