Tinnitus After Head Cold, Stereo Blasting for a Few Seconds, Doxycycline & Traffic Accident

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bruce Nelson, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Bruce Nelson

Bruce Nelson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi.

I’ve had tinnitus for about a month and a half. Could have probably been caused by a few things.

I’m retired (will be 68 this month) and we spent much of the summer in FL. Had a slight post nasal drip there that I seem to have often and it doesn’t bother me. Got back to RI and fired up the wood stove on a daily basis (we stopped using about a week and a half ago). My post nasal drip got worse and it felt like I had a bad head cold.

Also one day I turned the stereo on and it was unknowingly at full blast for a few seconds. A few days later I started with periodic mild ear ringing mostly in my left ear.

A couple weeks later I had a facial cyst surgically removed from my left cheek (was on Doxycycline for infection after the procedure).

And finally a couple weeks later while sitting in traffic we were rear-ended pretty badly.

Afterward tinnitus seemed worse although I occasionally have a day where it doesn’t seem as bad.

Was examined by my doctor and he said my left ear looked red so he put me on Prednisone and Amoxicillin. Now my sinuses seem better but not my tinnitus. I have an appointment with an ENT in mid February as that was the earliest I could get.

Any thoughts on my situation would be appreciated. I’ve hesitated to do much internet investigation on my condition until I see an ENT. Thanks in advance.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Tinnitus can be caused by many possible things so it is wise to see an ENT first to see if any medical conditions such as infection, sinus congestion, ETD etc may have caused your tinnitus.

Did the car accident do any damage to your neck? Sometimes neck muscle problem can aggravate tinnitus too. You may want to see a chiropractor or physio if your neck still hurts.

So it is best you stay calm before you have the diagnosis of your condition as anxiety and stress can aggravate tinnitus. Try masking it when it bothers you and read up the success stories to help stay positive that people can get better or habituate to tinnitus and carry on a normal life.

Best wishes and take care. God bless your recovery.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bruce Nelson

Bruce Nelson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the reply and the positivity. My neck was sore as well as my wife’s back after the accident but we seemed fine the next day. I’ve been having good days and not so good days with the ringing/static.

This may be a stupid question but can this be hereditary? I remember my mother having the ringing many years ago.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bruce Nelson

Bruce Nelson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If anyone is wondering about my profile picture, I walk by a llama farm on my daily walks. I must have a hundred photos of these wonderful creatures.