Tinnitus After Very Loud Drum and Bass Night

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SWAVE, Jan 18, 2019.

1. SWAVE

SWAVE Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise (Subwoofer)
      On New Year’s Eve (nearly 3 weeks ago) I went out to a night club which had a drum and bass concert/DJ night. I danced incredibly close to a subwoofer speaker for a several minutes during my time there. The music was VERY loud and I was way too close. The next day i woke up to tinnitus in both ears - i had experienced this before, but never like this - I knew that I had messed up.

In a hangover enhanced anxious state I quickly went to google about what I should do and I found my way to these forums - which freaked me out BIG TIME.

Needless to say I spent the next few days in a low functioning anxious state while i prayed for it to go away.

The right ear went away right away, but the left ear had a full feeling, hyperacusis and very loud tinnitus. In particular sub bass and bass sounds hurt - almost inaudible and replaced by pain

I went to the GP (UK) and they said that there was nothing that they could do for me, I did some research and it seems that prednisone is pretty much impossible to get prescribed in the UK, let alone in time to make a difference.

Every morning of that first week I would wake up and it would be a little quieter, day by day.

It started off as a level 10 but now has thankfully as of now backed off to a level 1.

What I treated myself with -

Magnesium
      Cod Liver Oil
      Meditation
      Yoga​

I told myself that after a few weeks I would return to the forums - as it seems like the forums are full of people who have been suffering from tinnitus for several years and therefore are active on this forum and those like it.

I feel like there is a disproportionate amount of conversation from the point of view of a chronic tinnitus sufferer, the reality is that most people get better from it and move on - so they don’t keep posting in these forums.

For those people who are worried about sudden onset tinnitus, bear in mind that most people who get tinnitus are cured of it over time - got some great stats from the statistics king.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-many-recover-3-studies.21441/

I imagine that the tinnitus will eventually back off completely but if it doesn’t then I know that I can cope with it at this level. I need to do everything I can to prevent this from becoming a problem in the future as I know that my ears are more vulnerable now.

Lesson learnt - I’ve gotten myself a pair of musicians earplugs and I will carry them around with me in case of noise for the foreseeable future.

Just wondering from experience of tinnitus sufferers here - what else can I do for myself?

As I write this It’s gotten a bit louder - I’m suspicious that it is often linked closely with emotion and perception for this reason. (links in with Julian Cowan Hill's YouTube Channel which I found quite helpful)
      https://www.youtube.com/user/jcowanhill

Having spent a week in tinnitus hell my heart goes out to you guys who have it bad - hoping to find a way to spread awareness of noise-induced hearing loss and tinnitus somehow to make people more likely to take precautions, it seems like people only find out about it the hard way.

I don't plan to spend much time on this forum as I believe it feeds the focus and obsession of tinnitus which could make it worse psychologically, making habituation harder.

NOTE:
      I spoke to a friend who had a similar experience - his ear hurt for about a week, but he's fine now.

Thanks for reading.

• Like Like x 3
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your introduction and the positive post. It seems that you have a good understanding of how to cope with tinnitus and win. You are right that many who have gotten better on tinnitus have moved on and don't post in the forum any more. But many did leave a success story before they leave and you can read them in the success stories. I left my success story too but I prefer to stay to help out the new members who need our advice. Many like me are doing the same helping others while they are no longer suffering while when T was new. Wish you well. God bless.

3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus: