Tinnitus and Anti-Depressants

Discussion in 'Support' started by sallyringgirl, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thanks. Yeah I relate to everything you say, my spouse says the same thing. Heads screaming (whole brain) and my H is not getting better, I try to ignore the H but it's like a kick to the head every sound, even small things like a light switch or my own voice, I can't believe this is real and that I'm not getting any improvements. I try to get out and do things but I'm kinda in my own world suffering trying to act normal everyday. The old me is dead and gone, this is a new existence for sure, I'm in no way like I once was.

I hope things get better for you this year, take care and keep moving.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Penate

Penate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/04/2015
      So went you have 5 different sounds in your head jets engines in your ears, power transformer in your head, hyperacusiss and reactive to every single thing, can you tell me , what In the hell we can take, nothing for this horrendous evil condition and every time you ask for something every single thing is not good, even water is bad, I'm being holding with no medical help for 2 years but I can take no more, and sadly the future for cure or something is very very very far so not much we can do to stop at least a bit this evil horrendous condition.

3. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      We can take several expensive supplements which don't seem to work, but you keep taking them hoping something will work some day.

And the best medical advice we can get is "just don't pay attention to it".

That's my experience at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Penate

Penate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/04/2015
      Yeah how you supposed get used to such torture.

5. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      "Habituation".

6. Penate

Penate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/04/2015
      People don't know what the difference between mild tinnitus and only one ear and very severe tinnitus, hyperacusiss and reactive, and said that because is my own experience, I have mild tinnitus for 35 years + habituation was easy, music career for 35 years no problem till 2 years ago blast redamage my auditory and no way to habituated again, so Nobody can tell me what is the feeling because i know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      I agree completely. That's why I put "habituation" in quotations. No matter the severity of people's T at the moment there are so few effective treatments, so we are left "habituating" and praying for a cure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Florida John

Florida John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, and possible head trauma
      I am trying to keep moving, but this has changed my life so much that I now feel like the only thing that will help me survive is these crazy freaking drugs that are out there,,, I deal with extreme (Daily) agitation and anxiety,,,,i get relief from xanax or ativan,,,,,but dont like what i hear about them or that matter even the antidepressant ,,,,,,I am not functioning at all right now,,,,and gonna lose my wife if i dont figure something out fast! I am researching kolonopin,,,,being a daily benzo,,,,sounds scary,,,,,but I am desperate,,,,,let me know if you come up with anything that works for you, and ill do the same,,,,Peace

9. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      send a PM to glynis for a suggestion for an Anti Depressant med that won't adversely affect your tinnitus.

10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      SNRIs or SSRIs do not really work for hyperacusis.

What caused your H and for how long have you had H?

11. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I had my audiologist who is a specalist in T recommend that I start taking anti-anxiety drugs to help with the way I cope with my T.. primarily because I suffer from OCD she thinks my brain latches onto any symptom I have and amplifies it making it difficult to cope. This rings true to me for my tinnitus as well as other medical symptoms I have had in the past..I think about my T pretty much all day, most days. How do you learn to ignore it? I haven't figured that out yet unless I am very busy, it's always there..

Taking ADs or other long term medication is a hard pill to swallow for me (literally ). The side effects are not always desirable and you so Brocken dependent on them. I have used AD's in the past for several years and was able to successfully taper myself off slowly over a month or two without feeling too awful but it does take time.

I have debated taking medications for Quite some time now for my anxiety/OCD but I am breastfeeding so, for now it's not an option for me but one I am considering for when I wean my daughter..

I've had my REACTIVE T over a year now, in addition to what I would call hyperacusis. I have periods lasting a few days or maybe a week where I feel great and tolerating well but then something happens and it always get worse and I'm back where I started. Not sure how any habituates to that..

12. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Are there any statistics on this? I realize they all might be clueless, but the ENTs I've met (some with Tinnitus focus) all say. "Take ADs and you will get better"

I mean, they are like 70, so they must base those statements on their long experience of treating patients, right??

(I just go prescribed an AD, but have not taken it)

13. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      You may get a benefit because some AD will calm the nervous system and will have an impact on the central processing of sound. But that is not going to erase the fact that when you hear a really loud sound you feel pain and may lose hearing, which in turn will exacerbate hyperacusis and/or tinnitus, getting into a vicious circle.

So again these meds adress the symptoms and cannot repair or fix the underlying cause of hyperacusis.

It is a bit like taking pain medication, it is going to calm the symptoms but will not fix the origin of the pain.

• Agree Agree x 1