Tinnitus and Anti-Depressants

Discussion in 'Support' started by sallyringgirl, Sep 15, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. sallyringgirl
      Artistic

sallyringgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I just wanted to say that if you are at the end of your rope and all you can envision is a sea of days with non-stop ringing, please don't give up. I have tried everything over the years including: not eating salt, accupuncture, exercise, meditation, noise machines, prayer, etc.- I finally ended up taking anti-depressants. It is the only thing in my 25 years of suffering from 24/7 tinnitus that has helped me. For me, depression goes hand and hand with tinnitus. And so until they find a REAL cure for tinnitus, I will stick with A/D's because they allow me to function and have energy to live my life.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      I'm glad you found something to help you. The emotional symptoms that go along with tinnitus really are a major part of the problem.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I'm so glad they help you and nothing be ashamed of.
      I take them too at a low dose for sleep and help my mood as have sever bilateral tinnitus and menieres and breathing problems and under the hospital sever asthma unit........
      Life can suck at times but there is no way it will take my smile and laughter or happiness.....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. MarioT
      No Mood

MarioT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + SSRI medication
      @sallyringgirl I am very happy for you and reading that you finally found something that worked. To be honest, I have been in a dilemma concerning ADs from the very beginning my T started. On the one hand I am way past and beyond the point where I have recognized that depression and T go "hand in hand". On the other hand I am still failing to tackle this problem, mainly out of fear that ADs might worsen my already bad case of T. It might be just really bad coincidence but my T started while taking an SSRI so I am really reluctant to taking that risk.

May I ask, how did your T start? What kind of AD have you been taking and how long until you felt improvement?

Wish you all the best!

• Like Like x 2
    5. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      I have been taking them for three years now. I've tried to stop taking them but found I could not do with out them.if it wasn't for tinnitus I would never have been on them in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Once on this shit, almost impossible to get off of. Also, I think these drugs loose effect, just like any other drug you have to keep taking more and more for the desired effect.

7. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      I hope autifony wont lose its effect!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. sallyringgirl
      Artistic

sallyringgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks All. These A/D's have not lost their affect and I have not intentions of coming off them as I know that this tinnitus will never go away. My latest ear doctor told me that tinnitus comes with all hearing loss which I have.
      To Mario: My tinnitus started 25 years ago when I had sudden hearing total loss in my left ear. I also got instant depression. But I tried to battle it alone and there really is not aftercare for sudden hearing loss and the emotional, psychological effects. Also, no aftercare that the people around you may not be so kind. Alot of work needs to be done on this. I am on effexor. It didn't cure my T just took the focus off of it. Best thing I ever did. I don't plan on ever coming off of it. I don't believe they will find a cure for T in my lifetime. I am not a negative person, it just is a very difficult problem to solve.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      If I could take it for a couple of months, wash it out of my system and take it again I would be more than happy. Give me two months of relief a year and I'm good to go.

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      2 months a year?? What u gonna do for the rest 10 mos?

11. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      A few people were already cured right here on this forum ;)

12. sallyringgirl
      Artistic

sallyringgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      with what?

13. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Not necessarily , ads don't loose effect and many other drugs to , my grandma has been taking them for more than 13 years for some muscle twitching problems and with the same dose still does it effect , as soon as she stops the symptoms come back

14. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Not necessarily , ads don't loose effect and many other drugs to , my grandma has been taking them for more than 13 years for some muscle twitching problems and with the same dose still does it effect , as soon as she stops the symptoms come back

15. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise

16. randomuser

randomuser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      That's not entirely true. I have experience with several AD's for years and none of them lost their efficacy over time, as it happens with benzodiazepines. Also, withdrawing from AD's is far more easy and safe than from benzos, its action mechanism are completely different. I even started taking sertraline when my T started, felt a temporary increase in loudness but then lowered, it helped a lot. According to my psychiatrist, you can wean off zoloft in two weeks even if you have been taking it for years.

17. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I have been tapering off Effexor for a year now, your shrink is full of shit.

And just do know, I had a qEEG done, the damage that showed up from taking ADs looks the same as someone that is smoking crack. This is right out of the head doctors mouth, that should tell you something about this poison that we put into our bodies. Your shrink doesn't have a clue. It's highly addictive shit, and like all drugs, they poop out. I guarantee if you try and come off your ADs in two weeks you loose your mind.

18. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sorry for offtopic, where have u done qEEG? Is the hiper activity of neurons because of t. shown on it?
      tnx

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      ADs are a dilemma. They can cause tinnitus and relieve the T as well. Some times it seems you have to pick your poison. I also know the world needs to be educated about T. Millions are suffering from acute and chronic T. WTF!
      When will the U.S. government and commercial science wake up?

• Agree Agree x 4
    20. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I would say AD's help with the unwanted emotions of tinnitus but not for the sound itself but coping with emotions and sleeping and eating well play the biggest part of dealing with the sound itself.....lots of love glynis

21. randomuser

randomuser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      @Telis

I was talking exclusively about sertraline (zoloft). It's an SSRI, but even in the same AD category there may be differences. Effexor is a SNRI, slightly different action mechanism, and of course it may have different effects during withdrawal. I'm not a physician, it's my opinion from my experience (pre-T) with SSRIs.

But, who knows, maybe my T is a looong protracted effect of taking ADs years ago, we know almost nothing about the brain as a whole bioelectrochemical entity and everyone is different.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Done in Calgary at Myosymmetries

Yes shows T. Also shows toxins and brain damage from drugs like Effexor.

23. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      That is really scary!

24. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Scary really :S What is your next move, now as u know exactly places where t is seatled in your brain, u can treat it by TMS...

@Christian78 your brain is perfect, just look at Telis results :S

25. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months

I dont see any results, nor where is place except if it was thing he done long time ago.

Me and @dan were trying to tell him to do it is Switzerland but i suppose it is all the same, just maybe somewhere where is loreta qeeg, to get more exact imaging, because Telis is millionaire so i supposed he had no problem with money.

26. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      That is interesting. Can I ask which one you take?