Tinnitus and Depression

Discussion in 'Support' started by Carlos1, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Does T bring on depression or does depression bring on T? It just seems to me thats these 2 are very closely related but for some reason when the depression is treat it doesn't cure T.
      Any thoughts on this ?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Carlos
      The famous 'chicken and the egg' question. Speaking for myself (I don't know about your circumstances) I was not depressed before my T; in fact, quite the opposite (things were going great and getting better). Nonetheless, I was stressed (beyond all reason) at the time -- just a lot of work piled on at the job, but that was only going to be for a few months and I have handled worse.

Did my T depress me? Yes. Did the depression (anxiety) make it worse? Yes. It started it's own negative vortex (a life of its own). I addressed/targeted the depression and anxiety; reasoning that if I can overcome the depression/anxiety, then I'm no longer depressed or anxious (I'm not trying to be a smart-alek) and that, in and of itself, is a good thing (always). And, as a by-product, my T went down and my ability to handle T went up (a positive vortex). This takes time (it's not easy). I failed at it much more then I succeeded before it really took hold. Everyday is a new day, just take positive steps and don't worry about failing (although I did :arghh:)

Depression and anxiety are never a good thing in anyone's life; we were designed in love, by love, and for love. Oh that life were like that all the time. Again, I don't know your particular circumstances so I don't want to frustrate you, but overcoming depression and anxiety are doable; hang in there!

It can take a long time; I've had severe and invasive T for a year now and I'm just getting to the "I could careless about my T" plateau :cool:. However, I had a lot of help from my hearing aids with white noise generators (truly a God send they are).

Hope this helps

Mark

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I think there is no question that T can cause depression and anxiety. Also, there is a belief among mental health professionals that anxiety can cause somatic T. I personally, while not a mental health pro, am not sure that I believe that. There is way to much guessing that goes on where mental health is concerned. I think it is possible that a phenomenon known as excitotoxicity could be at work in the case of anxiety and depression (which are different sides of the same coin depend whether you are fighting or giving up) which can cause T. Equally likely is that the medications used to treat these things bring on the T. In short, the data are too thin and not easily analyzed to say for sure what the cause and effect are. The bad part is that in almost all cases even when the anxiety and depression clear the T remains, but it is much easier to habituate once A and D are under control.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carlos1

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Mark I never really had long term bouts with depression I mean every now and then life gets you down but I always bounced back and never really looked at it as depression since T invaded my life I have been struggling keeping a positive attitude my GP has suggested Paxil and Zoloft tried both and really didn't like the way they made me feel those intial weeks so I stopped taking them. T is just weird man some days I feel like I can handle it no problem then other days I feel like the world is crashing down on me. Are you on AD's and if so you mind telling me what worked for you?

Thanx

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carlos1

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Makes sense Mick I just wish I could get on some meds that would help I've tried Paxil and Zoloft did not do well on either one I felt those meds made me worse altho I only stayed on them for 2 weeks. I guess I just need to keep fighting this demon and hope for good days.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Carlos
      Yeah, I've never been pegged as a depressed person either; but you're right, everyone goes through a valley now and then (I know I do). My audiologist picked up on my anxiety/stress levels right away; and I was truly perplexed because I honestly didn't/don't feel stressed or anxious in life. I didn't really believe him until I made a conscious effort to relax -- holy cow I'm a stress ball! I think that is very typical for the American life-style; we're so busy we don't really pay attention to the signs (tight muscles, headaches, fatigue, cranky, etc.). But that doesn't mean you are a depressive individual (or a chronic depressive); I think it's just life in our society/culture and we've normalized it so much that we really don't pay attention. In short, it's not a character issue it's an unrecognized circumstance issue. The good news is, we can do stuff about it.

One of my first questions when my T hit (and it hit hard at the beginning) was how to determine if my T was bothering me or if the current stressor in front of me (hard task, boss upset, wife upset, etc) was bothering me. That's a tough one and the answer is 'likely both'; so, I learned that I simply had to deal with stresors better than I had before. Isn't that always a good thing? And, it serves to take down your A and D (and your T).

It takes a long time (and I'm still working at it). I liken it to bench pressing 300 lbs. Sure, I can give the manual teaching you how to bench press and I could even demonstrate how to do it (with a LOT less weight); but that doesn't mean you can just start bench pressing 300 lbs -- that takes dedication and work. So, too, does handling stress/anxiety whether it's in the form of your T or your boss yelling at you (or whatever is stressing you at the time).

I didn't take ADs; not for any objection to them (I just prefer not to put foreign substances in me unless I have to). Also, I'm learning that some ADs can cause/increase T (oh the irony). That being said, if a doc says it's a must, then I'm going to obey the doc. However, I did consider them as a viable option; cuz I was very depressed and anxious and needed something (I was shut down pretty hard). But first, I turned to exercise and some OTC options (Ibuprofen PM to knock me out -- it was my best friend). It worked out for me; but it took time and patience (more bad days then good days at first, then it started turning around). Just recently (two weeks ago) I dropped the Ibuprofen PM; no longer needed. What really helped me were my hearing aids with white-noise generators (they are awesome, I wouldn't be doing this well without them!)

Mark

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carlos1

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      I'm glad your doing well Mark T sux but it seems like you have a good handle on it. I always dealt with stress by running I would run 7 - 10 miles every other day ..i've always dealt with emotional issue's by pushing my body physically and I always felt great now I don't even run anymore seems to make the T louder.
      Oh well I 'll get through this some how some way. Thanx for feedback ...Stay strong

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      What a helpful thread, thank you all for sharing good info.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Carlos
      I've only recently got a good handle on it; for the better part of last year it had a handle on me (took all my focus, got me down, made me angry, anxious, depressed, and no sleep!). Worst of all, it warped my view of life (that's a nasty one).

Like you, I'm a runner (although recently I'm out with a bad ankle). Running would make my T increase also (during and shortly after the run), then my T would go way down.

The physical activity is good; it helped me a lot. But it wasn't the only thing I had to work on. I had to accept it. If you're anything like me, I'm not very accepting of adversity -- I fight it! I wanted to 'find it and fix it'!

I characterize tinnitus like 'the tiger in the room'. If you fight it (or stare at it, or concentrate on it) it will consume you; and if you run from it (well, it's a tiger). Accepting it was so depressing in and of itself! I hate to acquiesce; it feels like defeat, like giving up (not in my nature, doesn't come naturally). Nonetheless, I let myself go through the process (I let myself be depressed, if that makes any sense). It was like a grieving process -- it SUCKED! And it lasted longer than I desired (or even thought). However, I eventually got there; because in reality, allowing the process to take place is NOT giving up or giving in, it is actually going through it (and, no, I was not a willing participant).

Hang in there, go ahead and survive the depression (be patient with yourself, be good to yourself -- understand what you are going through and be kind to yourself, cut yourself some slack). My audiologist kept reminding me that T is not for wimps, so don't get angry at yourself and try to stay patient.

You're right, you will get through this (even though you don't know exactly how right now)

And I couldn't agree more with you -- T SUX! But trust me, it is most definitely livable; I'm no 'super-man' (that's for sure) and I am starting to see the good-fruits of hanging in there; but man do I ever understand.

Mark

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Seems like too much of anything has the potential to cause T: too much noise, too much meds, too much anxiety, too much depression, too much trauma....

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carlos1

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Wow Mark I never looked at it like that but you are 100% right ...I'm a fighter by nature always have been I think thats part of the problem I keep fighting this F***ing T and I can't win this battle.
      I'm 6 months into this thing ....Your words of wisdom are encouraging.
      Thanks man..

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carlos1

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Basically too much life....guess its a roll of the dice and we were'nt so lucky

13. Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Carlos
      Awesome! Yes, it is in our nature (we are fighters!); and at one level I'm proud of that (rightfully so). But I needed to learn not to punch a tiger! However, I'm still a fighter (and always will be) as you are a fighter; we just have to learn 'asymmetrical-warfare' -- we just need to fight a different way and on different day.

Really glad that makes sense to you; never give up, just endure some 'crp' for a while!

T-SUX, bro; but we prevail!

Mark

14. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Some folks look at tinnitus as the acquisition of a sound.

I have always seen tinnitus as a loss - the loss of silence, an entity so near and dear to you that you never realized you had it until you lost it! So you lose silence, and to top that you lose control. Two significant losses occurring simultaneously; that's pretty much a set-up for reactive depression.

The good news is that you can regain your silence, and you can regain your control. Moreover, you can do it all in spite of not being cured of your tinnitus. And when that happens, any resultant reactive depression resolves as well!

sp

• Like Like x 1
    15. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      Mark do you wear the hearing aids with masking all the time? Do you wear them also as hearing aids because of hearing loss?

16. Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Isabella
      Yeah, I've worn them 24/7/365 for the last year (I have them on now); they are, of course, for hearing loss but my original concern was masking my T. In fact, when I first got fitted with them they were programmed solely as white noise generators (my T came in @ 70+ db -- it was a screaming dental tool in the center of my head). Later on, when my T came down, my audiologist started addressing my hearing problem (via turning on the hearing aids)
      They really work great! I would not be doing as well if I didn't have them.

Mark

17. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999

I would say both are applicable. Depression is listed as a cause of tinnitus. Jastreboff argues that tinnitus arises in the brain, particularly that part responsible for our emotional responses(Limbic System). There are many causes of tinnitus including psychological. I have experienced depression on and off for years, prior to and subsequent to acquiring tinnitus but my tinnitus was not caused by depression. I think depression can make it harder to overcome tinnitus so treating it will only help you move forward.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Bobo

Bobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      I'm "all of the above" and could not have said it better. I pray that over time it continues to lose it's grip. There has to be better days ahead.

Greg

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. ajay

ajay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 yrs
      May be this is due to deficiency of:
      1. Vit B12
      2. Vit D
      3. Serum Iron
      Carry our appropriate tests to evaluate the above. in my case all these parameters were low, particularly Iron was low, i started taking iron suppliments advised by the doctor, i am feeling much better now. if it works for u please share with as many sufferers as possible and to me also.
      also check if u have any allergy, and treat it.

Best Wishes. :) Ajay

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carlos1

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Ajay I take B12 and a (Calcium, Zinc , Magnesium ) multi vitamin
      I have really good days but then there are those days where I am extremely low and feel like I need help. The roller coaster ride sux ..... Stay Strong

21. conbsgc

conbsgc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october
      Tinnitus is prone to occur in people with depression or anxiety issues.... after tinnitus occurs then depression gets worse.

22. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Do you have anything to back this up, or just your opinion?

23. conbsgc

conbsgc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october
    24. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      What do these articals have do to with what you are stating? I'm asking if you have anything to back what you stated:

"Tinnitus is prone to occur in people with depression or anxiety issues".

25. conbsgc

conbsgc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october
      ????????????

tinnitus gone after depression is addressed!!

Study shows tinnitus tends to occur in people with obsessive, introverted personalities!

or you're expecting me to come up with an exact quote? the articles are there, they are all from studies, read them come up with your own conclusions!

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. @conbsgc, You stated in several treads that it´s all about anxiety. Tinnitus feeds anxiety but it´s not the answer in all cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. conbsgc

conbsgc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october
      absolutely, not always but anxiety its a big source of tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      "Tinnitus is gone after depression is addressed"? Nah, it's not. Doesn't work that way at all! I wish!!!!!

I don't need an exact quote...I would just like something in those articles even implying what you are stating:

"Tinnitus is prone to occur in people with depression or anxiety issues".

I don't know how you Interpet these article as evidence of this fact like statement that you made. It's your opinion which is fine, but say that!

So I take it you got T from being depressed? Or that's how you think you got it?

I personality would look at other factors making you prone to getting tinnitus like say... ototoxic medications, unsafe noise exposure or maybe some kind of other trauma to the ear (like for example getting an infection). These are actually known factors that can contribute to or make you prone to getting tinnits.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I read the articles. At this point it is mere speculation that tinnitus is caused by depression.
      It said the if Professor Rauscheker wants to cement his "theory" then he must do an SSRI study to prove that once the depression is cured, so will the tinnitus disappear or largely improve.
      I might point out that there have been studies with antidepressants for tinnitus (Amitriptyline etc), and none of them showed unedeniable conclusions that antidepressants even come close to curing tinnitus. Yes, some are more effective than placebo, but it is far cry from being a cure.
      Now he is saying that depression causes "serotonin depletion" which triggers tinnitus and doing an SSRI study (not done before) will prove once and for all that curing depression will cure tinnitus.
      Well I have very serious doubts that will work because I see many people on SSRI's with none or little effect on tinnitus. If antidepressants cured tinnitus, dont you think it would be all over the news?
      I think Rauscheker is grabbing at straws and wants an excuse for funding him another study.
      Somebody needs to contact him and tell he to get real.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Correction, SSRI study done already
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15008444
      Does it say anybody here was cured?
      What they dont say is that SSRI meds can even cause tinnitus in some cases where no tinnitus ever existed....
      I think some researchers are trying to pull a bunny out of a hat, instead of doing research the hard way to find NEW drugs, they use readily available drugs and see if in a controlled study it will prove more effective than placebo. Its really ridiculous

• Agree Agree x 2