Tinnitus and Extreme Anxiety

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nikkilu, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Nikkilu

Nikkilu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/3/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection, allergies
      I've only had tinnitus for a month and I'm struggling to adapt to the different noises. One minute it's low level in my right ear, then it moves to my left ear, then it's in both ears, then it's really loud in one ear, then I can hardly hear it at all.

All these fluctuations in sounds is giving me so much anxiety. I had a panic attack other night as there was a massive ring in my ear for a minute, it got quieter but was still louder than usual. It terrifies me.

I don't know how to feel, mine is from an ear infection so I'm praying it goes.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It often does go after an ear infection. It can take a few weeks after the infection has cleared though.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Part of what you are describing may be a thing called fleeting tinnitus. The hearing drops out for a second in one ear then it rings loudly for a short time then fades back into the background.
      The fluctuation early on isn't necessarily a bad sign, especially if you have periods where it's quiet.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nikkilu

Nikkilu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/3/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection, allergies
      It's been consistent for last few days so I was getting really worried. It's been a little better today and I've had some really mild moments and a few seconds of silence. I'm hoping this is a good sign.

5. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Don't monitor it, I know it's hard, really, truly hard not to do so. But if you monitor it or pay too much attention to it, you will cause greater anxiety by how it naturally fluctuates, or because your unconscious high expectations for it to fade fast, or get lower, because 'hey... it was low yesterday.' Or, 'hey... I had a few seconds of silence two days ago, now I don't. Did I do something wrong?' Just chalk it up to being good progress and hang in there.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      I think that's an excellent sign. Those moments of silence will hopefully get longer. Absolutely no rock and roll for you my dear, I'm sorry... you need to let your ears heal. Your heavy metal days are gonna have to be modified somehow, perhaps you can keep rocking in a different way... sincerely, Daniel.

• Like Like x 1