Tinnitus and Hyperacusis for 3 Months Now, Progress So Far

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Timothy 87, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Stress can often make tinnitus increase especially in the first few months. Please read my post: New to tinnitus what to do, for more information on this. Tinnitus comes in many forms and no two people experience it the same. You have said you've read many of my posts? Therefore, you may remember me mentioning silent rooms and surroundings are not good for tinnitus especially at night. It is a good idea to use low level sound enrichment whenever possible.

Tinnitus can fluctuate a lot in the early stages which you are in. New sounds are often experienced too but with time the tinnitus will settle down. It is something that you have to be patient with and work through it.

Michael.

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Timothy 87

Timothy 87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Michael Leigh I see, so basically I shouldn't worry about it.

I have read many of your posts and of other people, and it is simply a lot of info to take in and sometimes I get a tad confused. I have begun reading them again and will apply what I can. The only thing I don't do, is really just the sound at night as it triggers my head T and makes it louder.

I will admit there is also a psychological component where my T (and H) changes so much over time that it makes me worry and insecure about whether or not I am doing the right thing to recover. I want to make sure I don't unintentionally make it worse by overexposing to sounds. Hence my questions about what is too much and what is too little.

Your input helps me figure that out, and gives me confidence and some peace of mind about the future, especially as I intend to get back to work in December or January.

I am grateful to you, many thanks again.

3. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes...You should try not to worry but you should use sound enrichment especially at night. I understand that your tinnitus might trigger/increase and this is usually caused by hyperacusis, which is further indication your tinnitus was caused by noise trauma. The way to cure/treat the condition isn't by being in a silent room as some people believe. By using sound enrichment it will help to desensitize your auditory system with time and patience. Set the volume low. This is not a quick fix.

Each article on my started threads have taken a lot of time to write. Some 4 hrs or more and gone through many drafts before I uploaded them to Tinnitus Talk. They are not meant to be read on a computer screen alone or worse on a mobile phone. To get the full benefit and absorb all the information, particularly the counselling articles. They should be Printed on to paper and read often and slowly. This helps to reinforce the information to memory. If they are only read on a computer screen, what you have read or quickly skimmed through as I know some people do, will be soon forgotten.

Michael

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Timothy 87

Timothy 87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've actually been doing pretty well the last few days - I have two high pitched tones, one in each ear, and a low tone in my right ear now which is noticable only at night. During the day I can tell it's there but only vaguely.

However, now I have a genuine rushing near my left ear, and I can feel it in my neck. When I am upright it is pretty constant but when I bend over it sounds pulsatile.

Is this a normal thing to have with noise induced tinnitus? It's a fairly recent development. At least I haven't quite noticed it before. Can this be caused by a cold/flu? I am having one currently.

@Michael Leigh if I may ask you again, you have spoken to a lot of people. Does this sound familiar at all?

5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are obses
      @Timothy 87

No two people experience tinnitus and hyperacusis the same. In the early stages of tinnitus which you are in, people often experience changes and different types of sounds like the ones you describe. You are only 3 months in and tinnitus can change a lot within the first year of onset. I don't think what you are experiencing has anything to do with cold/flu. You have to give things time to settle down and try not to worry too much. Another Tinnitus Talk member is new to tinnitus as you are, so I advise you to read the entire thread and advice that I have given to @chaLLas https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/intermittent-noises-with-strange-patterns.31884/#post-379038

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    6. Fatihh

Fatihh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/panick attack/visual snow
      Whatch out with supplements!

Vitamin d made my tinnitus worse. Magnesium dampens this effect.

Veel succes trouwens met deze ellende!

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Timothy 87

Timothy 87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am actually using fairly high dosages of D3 and know it is used here and there to treat tinnitus.
      What makes you say it made yours worse? What did you experience?

8. Fatihh

Fatihh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/panick attack/visual snow
      It made my tinnitus monstrous. It became louder. Magnesium oxide stopped that.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Timothy 87

Timothy 87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ah I see. I don't think it's doing that for me. I will keep an eye on it though!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Timothy 87

Timothy 87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all,

I figured I'd post a bit of an update. I've been away to France for the past two weeks to help out my aunt with her house there - lots of gardening/painting/maintenance. Basically as an experiment to keep me busy.

It's gone pretty well. I've been able to do plenty of things without being too bothered by the beeping. At times, I would briefly forget about it, even though mostly I always notice it but try to ignore it.

I guess, even though I still fear what it might become, I can say it was a good two weeks overall.

Their pool, which runs over the edge into a filtering basin makes quite a bit of noise. My ears would react to it ar first but over the two weeks it seems my reactivity to it had lessened. I imagine the sound of the waterfall is a bit like a life size white noise generator.

It's not as crazy all over the place as it was before my break, reactivity wise, however it seems my basline T is slightly louder.

I didn't hear it in my living room at first, only the triggered head T, yet now I can hear it a little bit over the other sounds of the fridge and aquarium.

As Michael says it can fluctuate a lot so I try not to worry about it. I will go to the gym shortly and I am returning to work on 3 December. I figured I need to pick things back up at some point.

I do sleep worse nowadays. I have more tones and they're higher pitched which makes them hard to ignore. They were lower pitch and a tad less loud before, but maybe that will reverse over time. They also sometimes still switch sides.

I've also found that with pressure on my head, courtesy of the gym, the low pitch tones stop. I can reproduce that effect at will. I'm going to see my ENT about that in 3 weeks, see what she says.

When I yawn, one of those tones becomes really loud. But only then.

Other than that I will be picking up a brace to help lessen my TMJ issues, in two weeks time, which will hopefully reduce intensity over time too.

At the moment my T is tolerable. Maybe even better than that. It's mostly my worrying about it that makes it difficult when I'm not focused on something else.

Still hopeful for the future, and that I can beat this even if it remains!