Tinnitus and Hyperacusis from Labyrinthitis

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by tom682, Jun 18, 2020.

1. tom682

tom682 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 9, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labryinthitis
      OK, team. Nearly 6 weeks ago, I woke up to vertigo, nausea, one ear ringing. Went to the ER (not knowing what else to do). They gave me valium, some nausea med. We are thinking labyrinthitis. The nausea cleared right away, a couple days later an ENT told me to do Brandt-Daroff Exercise for Vertigo and within 3 days the vertigo was gone. But the ringing ear, the hyperacusis... that has been going on near 6 weeks now.

The ringing seems to follow my blood pressure, but not much else I can do to relieve it. After a regimen with the antibiotic to clear the fluid from my ear, 3 ENTs have told me there is absolutely nothing they can do. I have learned that this isn't always true, and hold out hope that I can either eliminate it (with time and the right actions) or manage it (with the right actions).

I don't drink any alcohol or caffeine, I exercise regularly. I eat a pretty clean diet (anti inflammatory, low sugar, low salt). I take supplements (a long list of vitamins, minerals and turmeric) to manage neuropathy. I am doing a good job beating down neuropathy and follow a near- AIP diet for the last year, with occasional exceptions. Overall, I am careful and tend to heal.

I asked the ENTs what the natural recovery period for ringing in the ear and they say (at 6 weeks now) that I'm past it. The labyrinthitis clouded up my ear, fluid, but I treated that right away (doc) with antibiotics and that seemed to clear within week 2.

This ringing. It hurts and it is relentless. If there is more I can do, I'll do it. If there's a chance that MORE TIME will fix it, then I can wait. I have this high pitch test tone playing in my right ear and I am seriously wondering what to do next - how to fight back. Which is what I typically do, and what I want to do.

Thanks.
      -Tom

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Hi @tom682

You said the ringing follows your blood pressure. Correct me if I'm wrong - but do you mean that it is in time with your heartbeat?

I'm also surprised no one has replied to your thread yet. I've never experienced T how you're experiencing it, so I'm afraid I'm not much help. You're doing everything right it seems. And you've only had T for 6 weeks, so that's nothing. It takes months and months for ears to heal, so things will most likely improve :) and even if they don't, you will habituate... Although it probably doesn't feel like you will to begin with.

Just protect your ears! No music through headphones/earphones. No loud music. No harsh sounds. Always use ear protection in and out the house. The more you protect those ears, the better.

I still do everything I used to before I developed T, I just protect my ears with it.

Anyway, sorry I can be of much help. Hope you're okay anyways?

Steph <3

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tom682

tom682 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 9, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labryinthitis
      Stephanie,
      Thanks for the encouragement.
      It's not in time with my heartbeat, it is LOUDER when my blood pressure is higher, and quieter when my BP is lower.
      Also, a big breakthrough.... my right nostril is always closed, normally closed. My family doctor says, "try using some nasal spray" and that opened it up and reduced the tinnitus! I've never been able to breathe well through that side. This was my first time using a nasal spray and wow. Anyway, I guess it had been closed off so long and got infected? And now it rings about half the volume (but steady) during the day. When I wake up, it is roaring load again. So, I need to figure out how to get my sinuses right. However, a problem well defined is half solved, right? Now I think it is my sinuses closing up.... that's progress.
      Thank you for writing. I'll call my FOURTH ENT this week and try to get a competent one.
      -Tom

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. LauraK4

LauraK4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      What jumped out at me is the the relationship between volume of the tinnitus and your blood pressure. You may be able to get on a medication that will stabilize your blood pressure back to normal, and lower the volume consistently of the tinnitus. I would suggestion starting with a PCP appointment for blood pressure.
      Wish I had more ideas, but this one could have value for you.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tom682

tom682 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 9, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labryinthitis
      I take a med occasionally for my BP

6. Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      @tom682 love how you addressed me as Stephanie even though my profile name is Steph. Made me smile :)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tom682

tom682 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 9, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labryinthitis
      At the 7.5 week point, the ringing has decreased to almost nothing. Hearing has not returned. Hopeful.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      @tom682 yay! So unbelievably pleased for you Tom!

Steph <3

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tom682

tom682 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 9, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labryinthitis
      Woops, back. Varies. Most days its plain old loud. I am going to try some notched pink noise therapy I found on a 5 dollar phone app. Rather than hearing aids.

Have any of yall used hearing aids and how natural or unnatural do hearing aids sound?

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Hey Tom.

Yeah mine varies too it seems. Some days I can't hear it at all, and other days it's so loud I can hear it over TV, fan, driving etc. I do however have more quiet days than loud thankfully.

Unfortunately I know nothing of hearing aids. You don't have hearing loss do you? I think I looked into buying maskers instead, which would hopefully drown out the tinnitus - though some say they don't work.

If you want to find out, just type in hearing aids or maskers in the search bar and I'm sure you'll find suggestions or threads on what you're after.

Hope that helps you Tom.

Steph <3

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tom682

tom682 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 9, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labryinthitis
      Yes,it seems I have lost some, virtually overnight. That's why it rings. I have beaten other ailments with diet, supplements and time. I haven't yet figured out how to force this ringing down a few notches. It stays so loud, it always interferes with conversation and concentration. I hoped it was related to sinus, but more and more I think sinus was the car crash and ringing in my ears is the wreckage.

My only hope is, as you wrote, that ears heal. Or habituate. Yet I've read people having it for decades. That's hell to me.

The ENTs and audiologists all literally say there is nothing they can do, nothing they will do. Habituation feels like eternity, and they say hearing aids will stop it by boosting what I lost. I also read hearing aids dont sound like normal hearing, and to mix music, normal hearing is what I use.
      Chin's Mojo - Desire