Tinnitus and Hyperacusis from Vitamin B6 Overdose

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Purple_diamond, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Purple_diamond

Purple_diamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/4
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      B6 overdose
      Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I would like some insights on my situation. Three months ago I had a B6 Vitamin overdose by accident (I misinterpreted the leaflet of the supplement). After that I developed some mild neuropathy (which is much better by now), tinnitus and hypersensitivity to sounds.

I went to the ENT on the first five days of the accident and he gave me a medication called Stugeron Forte. I took that for one month and a half.

The tinnitus now is at a stage that I can only hear it in silent rooms and sometimes not at all but it seems to always be there when I plug my ear. The hypersensitivity to sounds seems to come and go. Some days it is better and some others it is more intense. In general I find the high pitch sounds very irritating.

Yesterday, I had an appointment with a neurotologist who told me to have some laser done in order to help me with this but she insisted that it is still very early for me so it can go away on its own.

What are your opinions on this? Does tinnitus stop one day out of the blue? Or does it get better over time before it stops? Can hyperacusis be cured without treatment? Do I need some TRT?

Thank you in advance.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      You don't have an issue with tinnitus. You will learn to live with that in a week.

Some of us have SUICIDAL TINNITUS that not even the sound of a chainsaw masks.

Count your blessings... and protect your ears...

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Dave111
      Transparent

Dave111 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Makeing music in band and headphone on to long.
      Only in silent rooms. Wish I still had that.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Purple_diamond

Purple_diamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/4
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      B6 overdose
      Yes in silent rooms and when my head is on the pillow. I used to have some spikes every other day that used to last 10 to 20 minutes but now they have stopped.

But I still have sensitivity to sounds and I am worried about that too.

Also I am worried about how to protect them from now on...
      And is also pity that I have this because of a vitamin supplement. It was supposed to be good.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Oto

Oto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown / High frequencies pre-presbycusis?
      Yes, it is. I'm sorry for you.

B vitamins are supposed to be very safe as they are water-soluble. They are excreted in the urine.

What dose did you take?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Purple_diamond

Purple_diamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/4
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      B6 overdose
      B6 is a neurotoxin in high doses and that is not well known. There are people that took just on pill and developed neurological problems and hearing problems. So it is not very safe even in a small quantity for many people. Also B6 is not water soluble. That was what I thought too.

I took 1000 mg per day for three days.
      My tinnitus for the first month was crazy loud.

7. mohn

mohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Purple_diamond, how is the tinnitus now? Have the effects of excess B6 washed out by now?

I am wondering whether I might have taken excess B12 due to fleeting tinnitus I have been getting for the past few weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Any "Vitamin" in super doses no longer becomes a Vitamin, and some metabolic paths are really unpredictable.

An example is Vitamin C, in high doses it can have a ring opening reaction and be oxidized to oxalate and cause seizures & renal failure due to Calcium ion chelation.
      Yes, you can give yourself chelation therapy with enough Vitamin C.

• Like Like x 1