Tinnitus and Me After 30 Years

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by canuhearmenow, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @threefirefour - those of us with intrusive Tinnitus ‘know’ there is no cure.
      We also know there is no real treatment.
      You want habituation stories flagged up, or set in a different place from genuine success stories.
      Well - out of interest - what could represent a genuine success story to you?
      There is no cure!

By the way - if habituation can make life more liveable - would that not represent some degree of success - and perhaps the only success you will ever see?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Kritish Gooriah
      Buzzed

Kritish Gooriah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear surgery acoustic trauma tmj ETD
      I think you are very pessimistic, i think, i can recover from my tinnitus and the research of dr shore are a good sign.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Now idk what you attempted to accomplish here, but two other people disagreeing with you was probably not it. Anyways I CAN provide examples. Look up any story in this section where the tinnitus actually goes away.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Would you say that "between 25% and 70%" is very rare? Those are the figures in the only studies on this topic we could locate (in the Stats thread), with 70% being the figure for a "gunshot induced T".
      I agree.
      I think it would.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Charles_T
      Insomnious

Charles_T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity or Benzo Withdrawal
      I am not sure how you think this is helpful to write in the Success Stories section?! This is one of the most ridiculous posts I have seen on this site. I get the feeling some of the people who have toughed it out with Tinnitus for multiple decades or longer who are "pro-habituation" don't want a cure to be found because they don't want others to find relief in there lifetime since it has been denied for them.

While your actions are certainly your own right I don't think not caring about anything is a very good idea to promote. It seems like your post is not really a success story but rather a post where you are proclaiming your mental toughness/superiority to others in a misguided and strange way. I actually fear Tinnitus and death to some degree but that doesn't make me weaker or less than you. I'm human and we are all at the end of the day.
      I think that habituation can be helpful... I have a cousin who doesn't really care about his Tinnitus but then again he also doesn't care about working, having a family, or really much of anything other than taking pictures of his beard and posting it to his Instagram account. I am different I really care about a lot of things certainly care about finding a cure to Tinnitus and have been affected very negatively by Tinnitus coming into my life therefor I try different supplements and actively try different things to see if I can improve my condition. My point is we are all different and I think its ok that @threefirefour wants a cure. I want a cure too and I think in the year 2018 settling for anything less would be selling ourselves short. Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @threefirefour - so a couple of people disagreed with me - I’ll try not to let that spoil my day.
      I see you are proud of your negativity.
      I believe I am a realist, so I’m not expecting a fairy story ending.
      I believe the figures for noise induced Tinnitus magically disappearing are pretty negligible, because there is actual physical and neurological damage involved.
      However, I keep an open mind.
      In the meantime, I maintain an interest in whatever coping mechanisms are helpful to achieving better habituation.
      Incidentally, did I read somewhere that you love animals and hate people?
      Correct me if I am wrong.
      I must be quirky.
      I love both......

7. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Well why did they? The idea of wanting a success stories and a habituation stories desperate forums isn't crazy. It's actually a great compromise. I used to just want habituation stories buried, but this makes so much sense from both sides. I don't see why people wouldn't want this...

Not so sure you have an open mind. I've changed my views overtime to be better. I used to be a lot edgier here, but now most people here at least mildly agree with me, except for those guys who are completely lost like Chris Holland, Michael Leigh, or fishbone. You haven't changed at all despite being presented better viewpoints, so I don't think you have a very open mind.

Yes I don't like people very much and I'm a huge animal person. Although I don't think I mentioned it anywhere.

8. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well @threefirefour I may be quite an intuitive person, but I couldn’t have pulled that statement out of thin air, could I?
      However, a degree of edginess is apparent, in as much as you like to ‘twist the sword’ when replying to something that quite clearly annoys you, or goes against your own philosophy.
      I don’t mind that - I can always put my gum shield in and my sports jockstrap on before I engage with you.
      Only kidding - you’re probably a pussycat really - albeit - in disguise.......x

9. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @threefirefour - so people who disagree with you are Completely Lost !!
      Hahahahahahaha......
      God - I wish I was clever........x

10. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      No, but completely lost people disagree with me.

There's a lot of people here I disagree with but aren't lost. They just kind of realized I'm not wrong overtime and admitted that at least, I have a point.

11. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Habituation is one thing.

A complete cure would be something else.

I have to agree with that......

12. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Im glad you do, because you're right. A complete cure belongs in the success stories forum, and habituation doesn't. Apples to oranges.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      “YIPPEE FOLKS
      - this means I’m not completely lost.”
      (.......dances round the maypole.....)

• Like Like x 1
    14. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      I didn't mean that sufferers can't recover. -- T has forced me into a healthier lifestyle which I am thankful for and I truly believe that I am in recovery.

If you look through the success stories, you will notice that a number of folks only had T for less than 2 months.

My point was just that I think that success stories should be from those who have suffered from T for at least 6 months. -- That would provide a more accurate gauge of what is working and what isn't.

A few people have said that 3 years seems to be the real positive turning point with Habituation. -- Sounds like a long time but it is something that I look forward to as well.

I apologize for my original post sounding negative. -- I am a realist but am also optimistic that a cure will found some day.

If you have had noise induced T and plan to rid of it soon, that is great! (Just please let us know how you did it! :)

I wish the best for everyone on this forum, can see how my original post got misconstrued, and am sorry for that (Unfortunately, I can't go back and edit that post to make it sound more positive.).

Sincerely,
      John

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you see any "noise induced" stories where T actually goes away, can you share on this thread?

I've searched for them but usually only see ones where people had some kind of stress related T go away..

Thanks,
      John

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @John Myers - “ZAKLY !!!”

17. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Seems like a great and realistic success story. Congrats!!! I hope even the hopeless will get there someday.

Best,
      Zug

18. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      See Srdjan's thread. He had a noise induced hearing loss and tinnitus. Hearing loss lasted for a week I think and Came baci and tinnitus lasted for six months and IT gradually disappeared on its own... I think he is the only success story of a noise induced tinnitus that lasted exactly 6months....

• Like Like x 1
    19. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok. Thanks Aplonia!

20. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      There are certain conditions where tinnitus can be greatly improved. Even noise induced T can improve over months and years.

Areas within the cervical spine. Finding the cause and getting the right treatment can reduce c spine T by 50%. The most successful cases is damaged nerve removal or repair at the C4-C6 level at a 99% success rate. Proper muscle treatments within the neck can provide long term relieve of T by 50% for 25% ---- 25% also get long term relief of 25%. This is why discussions on physical T are important. One x ray series of 4 views on the c spine along with other radiology tests can be life saving for some.

ATA information https://www.ata.org/managing-your-tinnitus/treatment-options/tmj-treatments

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My sister had t. for 3 years... went to every doctor and had all kinds of tests done. One day she woke up and it was gone. Completely gone. It has been over 8 years now. She got her cure.

• Like Like x 4
    22. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      How did she get it?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    23. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      We would still have to say that an actual cure for noise induced Tinnitus (that applies to most of us) is incredibly rare.
      I wouldn’t rule it out of course - wonderful if it happens - but realistically.....??

24. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I’m with you @John Meyers.
      Tinnitus is both wretched, and unique.
      We are forced to live in noise, which we naturally hate - as would anybody - yet we must learnt not to hate it, but to ignore it, in an emotional sense, if we are to succeed and habituate.

25. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks for posting this! Its inspiring to read how you adapted to changing circumstances and are fine with it.
      Do you by chance do meditation?
      I read that helps to get more into the present moment. I am doing a course on MBSR (Mindfullness Based Stress Reduction) to make peace with T and stress in general, actually to just accept that its there and go on with life. I think thats the best route in the long term anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Robert44 It was probably high stress. Shes not sure.​

27. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I know a money investment manager who contacted some very rich people about tinnitus fund granting. For many of these rich people their real worth came from medical startups ventures or from buying medical and bio tech stocks where they increased 10X to 100X.

Some of these people are early retired doctors with second homes in England or Ireland. This money manger also owns a large estate in England where he was born. I wish that I didn't have tinnitus and owned a small place in England as that's where I have lots of family that I never see. I also have family in Australia. I wish that I could travel being retired but I can't. I would love to travel all over Europe.

This money manager said that he received some warm thoughts from several who said that they have donated to the ATA and BTA. From some others he wrote all their thoughts down. Some being retired doctors, made concerning comments. Statements like T has relation to emotional illnesses and that needs to be addressed. There's no cure. T relates to other illnesses and these other illnesses need attention first. Also statements about how many claim to habituate, he heard this most. With many it disappears early on. That most don't have overwhelming high volume distress levels.

We want to tell others and do that they can habituate and many will, but at the same time it's slowing research funding and grants down, even with attention to those with severe T.

29. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for that Jazzer. -- So true..

When I am working on ignoring my T with masking, exercising, etc. I feel a sense of accomplishment with keeping it at bay.

For the past month, I have had a spike which is annoying but am going back to visiting this forum's "success stories", meditation, etc really helps me cope and move past it.

I have other personal stresses right now and I think that is what is making me get annoyed by it more right now. -- My T is noise induced so I know the stresses aren't directly causing it to get louder.

It really is all a state of mind and if you can get yourself in a good mindset and stay busy, you are on the right path. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @John Meyers - I have to say that my noise has not gone down.....but my stress level definitely has gone down, my real despair has gone, and I am coping much better.
      I do think that coping with Tinnitus is a mental conundrum.
      I know I ‘can’ hear it all the time,
      but...frankly....why should I?
      Better things to do.
      Yes.....I do dip,
      but I’m getting a grip. x