Tinnitus and Travelling

Discussion in 'Support' started by Riikka, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      I will have a work related trip soon, and it will actually be the first trip since my tinnitus aggravated.

I am now a bit worried how I will cope during the trip. For flying I think I will read the threads on this forum again. I usually use earplugs during flying and haven't had any problems with the pressure regulation, so I guess I will use them also this time.

I am a bit worried about the sleeping part, though. I have always been a light sleeper and usually used earplugs whenever I sleep somewhere else than at home. Now my tinnitus got so loud that there is no way I can stand the earplugs. And I am still getting used to my increased tinnitus and not sleeping very well because of that.

Do you have any recommendations for me how to improve my sleep during the trip and feel less anxious?

2. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      You can give melatonin a go!

3. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      To those who need sound to sleep (white noise machine, sound pillow, etc), how do you travel? When I visit friends or family I keep taking my full size sound pillow, which is beginning to be a hassle. White noise machine doesn't work for me; I need something closer to my ear. Are there any safe in-ear devices specifically for sleep?

4. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      I was considering noise cancelling headphones at some point, but there are cases where they triggered tinnitus

5. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe tinnitus since Dec 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I haven't traveled yet since my T started, but my plan is just to use my iPad for some fan noise. I usually just sleep with a fan on a low setting (sound is appx 37-40db where my head is) so the iPad should be able to accomplish the same thing.

6. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I have moderate to loud tinnitus and often need earplugs to sleep. I learned to use breathing meditation techniques and focus on the sound of my breathing rather than the tinnitus.