Tinnitus Attacks with Blurred Vision

Discussion in 'Support' started by Padraigh Griffin, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      I get these insane attacks of tinnitus. It goes ballistic in both ears and builds and builds like a fire alarm tone. It is excruciating. I feel like I’m going insane. My breathing becomes laboured.

It is also accompanied by a pain in the head, and my vision remains blurred for quite a while afterwards.

Anyone else experience this? The attacks last 10-15 minutes and after they subside my ears are sore from the sheer volume.

2. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Have you seen a doctor for this? Not to scare you but the blurred vision could be a symptom of something more serious. I’ve seen quite a few doctors and this is usually one of the first questions they have asked me when I mention visual changes.

Could be anything from anxiety to migraines, to diabetes to MS.

3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I am sorry you are dealing with this. Sounds horrible.

What work up have you had so far?

I was reading about cochlear migraines. They are distinctly different from Meniere's and/or cochlea hydrops in that vertigo isn't a symptom. (this is a guess, not a diagnosis, so see your ENT)

The article I read mentions fluctuating hearing loss, aural fullness, tinnitus, that is often one sided.

There may be a family history of migraines, and you may have a history of migraines with/out neck stiffness on the affected side.

It is thought that CM are a migraine related vascular spasm or neurogenic inflammation.

There is no mention of visual symptoms in the article, but I guess like other migraine variants, it is probably possible. But, get these symptoms checked out in case it is something else.

I think if you haven't already, it sounds like you need a referral to a otoneurologist who has an interest in this condition to get a thorough work up? (if you can)

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      I have been suffering from extreme anxiety for over 2 years. It must be the reason as Neurology tests were ok. I just wonder if anxiety reduces will the tinnitus subside or even disappear?!