Tinnitus Caused by SSRI Meds or Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sure2win, Mar 2, 2019.

1. sure2win

sure2win Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      medication
      Hello. Recently I have been dealing with some pretty intense tinnitus. I've always had mild manageable tinnitus my whole life due to using power tools for work and listening to loud music. Usually only could hear it if things were completely silent, but now its loud and 24/7.

2018 rang in rough for me. I had some major family issues in the beginning, followed by my wife blindsiding and leaving me. I for the first time in my adult life developed debilitating anxiety and depression. I was put on an antidepressant in August which allowed me to eat and sleep again, but made me tired. So in October my doc took me off that antidepressant and prescribed Prozac and Ativan. Instantly my ears began to ring. I contacted my doc and he told me this can be a temporary side affect of the Prozac. He instructed me to try 2 more weeks on the Prozac and discontinue if it persisted. It did, so I stopped taking it. But the tinnitus never stopped.

It's been 3 months since stopping the Prozac and the tinnitus continues. I still take a very low dose of Valium for anxiety and have some depression. My life has been completely changed. I went from being a very happy and productive member of society to depressed, anxious, and dealing with tinnitus.

Also I saw an ENT and have confirmed hearing loss with high pitch tones. Has anyone had tinnitus that developed from Prozac or a SSRI? Also is it possible that my high anxiety could have caused it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      This thread is truly heartbreaking.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @sure2win,
      When you say you were taken off your antidepressant were you reduced to a slow taper?
      Medication that affects your brain can cause tinnitus or spikes in your tinnitus but as time goes by it should calm down so time is a great healer.
      Don't get me wrong, it might not go but hopefully calm down.

love glynis

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Well at least the ENT confirmed hearing loss, unlike most of us, they don't even test for hearing loss accurately.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sure2win

sure2win Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      medication
      yes, I was slowly tapered off both antidepressants. I never in my life will take another. The withdrawls were bad with the first one, but not bad for the Prozac besides the T. The Prozac only made my anxiety and depression worse. Hope the T lessens soon, but doesn't seem to be letting up

6. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Sorry you are feeling low these days.

The anxiety can really make things worst when you have tinnitus. I see you were taken Ativan.
      Ativan was the only medication I used in 7 years. Very low dose and for very short periods of time, when needed and it helped me much.

Tinnitus due to stress and anxiety can get better in time. For the next few months just try to relax and stay away from loud noises, situations, places. Use some sound machines at bed time, that may help you a bit.

What have you been trying to help you with the anxiety??

I'll pray for you.

Once

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Ken77
      Frustrated

Ken77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Possibly benzos (lorazepam) and/or stress
      My case is somewhat similar to yours (although I don't have any significant hearling loss). I developed tinnitus out of nowhere after a very stressful period. I was also taking a low dose of Lorazepam (Ativan/Temesta) during that time and the tinnitus appeared about a month after I stopped using it. So I am no sure what the actual cause of my tinnitus is either. I have had it for almost a year now and it hasn't changed at all :(

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Bobby Sinatra

Bobby Sinatra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ambien Windrawal Suspected
      same mate. tinnitus after a month of stoping using it. where are you now?

9. Ken77
      Frustrated

Ken77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Possibly benzos (lorazepam) and/or stress
      My tinnitus is still exactly the same. I am getting a bit more used to it though so I guess that is something.

10. Barpis

Barpis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSRI
      Have you got any relief after 2 years? How did you confirm your hearing loss by audiometer up to 20 kHz?