Tinnitus Caused by Wearing Face Mask?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LoganV, Jun 24, 2020.

1. LoganV

LoganV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey, I’m new here. This may be a weird/hard to answer question. I first noticed my tinnitus about 3-4 weeks ago and have been trying to pinpoint the cause. It came on suddenly and seemed to happen only about a week and a half after I started wearing a face mask regularly upon returning to work.

Is it possibly that the added pressure behind my ears, from the mask, triggered my tinnitus?

This may be a far fetched theory but the two seemed to have coincided. I’m going to start wearing a bandana to alleviate the discomfort of wearing a mask and see if this has any effect on my tinnitus.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks!

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I really doubt it, but hey, this is tinnitus, the craziest things can induce it.

Don't you have a history or headphone use, noisy workplace, any new medicine, ototoxic meds, irregular stress, dental problems, bruxism, BP problems, influenza/cold?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. tbuzz89

tbuzz89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Intrusive 03/2020; Very mild 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools as a trigger, AirPods for the long term damage.
      @LoganV, welcome! I find it pretty unlikely that pressure from the straps of a face mask would cause tinnitus. The first questions you should ask yourself is have you been exposed to any loud noise lately? Are you a frequent headphone/earbud user? Any significant stress in your life over the last few months?

There are plenty more folks here on the forum who have much more experience and knowledge than I do and hopefully they chime in!

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      I think it's highly unlikely to be caused by the earloop mask and is more likely something else. You could switch to a mask with over the head straps or the bandanna but I'd sooner investigate any noise esposure, ototoxicity, or other underlying issues like wax buildup known to cause tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      My tinnitus is hell regarding the insanity of tones and loudness.

I would bet money that a mask won't affect it. I find wearing them uncomfortable though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LoganV

LoganV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for your responses! I think being under the stress of going back to work probably had a lot to do with with. Will be going to the doctor to have it checked out. Meanwhile, just making small adjustments to diet, cutting out caffeine etc.

7. morgothaod

morgothaod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Tinnitus can happen to anyone, anywhere, any time, and for any or no reason.

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. spottedponyrider

spottedponyrider Member

Tinnitus Since:
      spring 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      pressure from mask wearing
      I have tinnitus in my left ear. It began right after I started wearing a mask and after a severe upper respiratory infection. A blood test in June said that I did not have COVID-19 anti-bodies. I can get tension headaches from any kind of pressure on my head like from a mask or headband. Carotid artery is fine. I get regular chiropractic care for a neck issue. I was told to find a mask that ties in the back to reduce the pressure. Acupuncture and massage seems to help the most.

I'm wondering if a course of antibiotics might help if there is some lingering infection in the ear canal as I recently started to feel a bit of pressure when the tinnitus flares up.

9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @LoganV it's almost certainly unrelated. If wearing a mask caused you to start using bad neck posture, then maybe there's a connection there, but that doesn't have anything to do with masks per se.

Most people I see are wearing paper masks or cloth masks that barely impact respiration; I, personally, have both changed a trailer tire (with a relatively poor hand jack) in the summer heat, as well as done some fairly hardcore and tiring skiing, wearing a full-fledged valved N95 setup. My SP02 values with and without a mask are indistinguishable.

Stress can absolutely be a factor in how you notice this and how it is perceived.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LoganV

LoganV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @linearb thanks for the reply. I was thinking more about the tightness of the mask having an effect on the ears. After dealing with it for some time now, and it starting to subside a bit, I’m assuming it has a lot to do with stress.

11. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Isn't it weird though? I notice when I put a tight mask around my ears that I can't hear as well. When I take the mask off, I can hear slightly better. My father, who is hard of hearing, noticed the same thing. That being said, I also was very stressed when my tinnitus began or worsened.

Blessings,
      twa

12. whatdidyousay

whatdidyousay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud volumes
      Haven't seen it mentioned, but is there any concern for when the straps of a face mask "snap" into your ear like a slingshot?

I was wearing a P95 mask for cleaning the bathroom that has heavier duty, thick straps that are a pretty tight fit. When I was removing the mask, I lost grip and the lower head strap snapped into the back or side of my ear. Is this likely to cause any hearing/ear damage?