Tinnitus Changing From Tone to Hiss

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mpt, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I have read several different posts of people who have improved from tinnitus and they claim that their sound went from tonal to more of a soft hiss... has this been anyone else's experience?

2. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Somehow had a bit this similar effect

3. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I have had this. It kind of goes both ways back and forth hiss to a high pitch. I try not to pay attention to much but my first big improvement happened when I noticed it turned to a hiss.

• Like Like x 3
    4. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      My T has gotten better, and gradually the ringing sound has gone down and instead has changed to a white noise/ loud hiss noise. I have faith that this is a good sign - at least I hope so!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      i wish I would start hissing

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      When I get around loud music, my ears will squeal for a few days then go back to the hiss sound. It's a good sign.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I who love music,

So is a hiss your default sound?

8. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I have a steady hiss, and it is my default sound. It's been the same for several years, but at least it hasn't gotten any worse! So, I guess that is a good sign!

• Like Like x 1
    9. Marias21
      Busy

Marias21 Member

Cause of Tinnitus:
      allergies
      some time i do get a hiss but its only when i stay home as soon as i go outside my ringing start ( allergy to pollen i guess ) after i take a shower some times it goes back to the hissing sound and it stay there as long as i don't open any window in the house

10. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Its been almost 6 months since i got T and my ears at the quietest hiss now.. Sometimes when im in the most silent room i think its gone. Was thinkin also if this is a good thing. Layin in bed its actually calming.. Would prefer a hiss anyday then the ringing toneee

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      grace... it sounds like you basically don't have t

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Oh no, I do its just gotten a hell lot better.. I hear silence but as soon as i put my head on the pillow or go into a completely silent room theres high pitched hissing nd sometimes other tones that get louder. And when i drink on the weekends it gets loud. If i didnt have T i wouldnt be here :)

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      grace,

was yours loud to start with and how much has it quieted down... just asking to cling on to some hope that mine to can quiet down

people who get better say they can only hear it in very quiet places, well every room in my house is "quiet" other than the den when the tv is on, i mean there might be a little ambient noise or the air conditioning might be on very low,... so I guess my question is can you hear it in only "silent" rooms or can you also hear it in just "quiet" rooms that might have a little ambient sound going on

14. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Ok so my story is i had loudass T for two days followin noise exposure then it went down to a quiet high pitched ring/tinkering few noises that i can only hear in say a bathroom that has no other sound but as soon as id crinkle toilet paper i cant hear it only when im completely still. My house isnt quiet.. The fridge is loud.. Way louder then my T so at night when i sit in my kitchen i cant hear the T.. Cant hear it in my room with the ceiling fan on.. Only when i put my Head against the pillow or plug my ears. I kno your thinkin you would probably consider yourself cured if this was your case but fact is im not and its still there even if it is quiet but doesnt mean it cant spike up. Dont loose hope cause yours could deff improve. Are you in your first year with T?

15. peter1974
      Balanced

peter1974 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yes I have. I had a tone or tone that drops in out out for a couple of months. Then now its a hiss....

16. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      That's basically what happened to me originally. A loud tonal sound, which then receded and became the hiss/static that I have had ever since. Protect your hearing, because in my experience the hiss/static sound can get louder.

17. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      During my stay in a tinnitus clinic I tried anti-anxiety meds. This brought my T down to a very low hiss for two days. I guess it was the same as if you would take a benzo med. That T was easily covered by every day sounds and I was a completely other person. If that would become my standard, I would definitely take it. Unfortunately my standard T is much louder and higher pitched. Be happy Grace that it is so low for you. Although I can understand you want to get rid of it completely. Take care.

18. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      I think this happened to me a little bit as well. It's a bit hard to say because if it did happen, it happened very slowly and I'm not sure how much perception of a decreased sound is due to habituation.

That said, it really does seem to be more hiss than tone now, or the tone is quieter. It also helps that the hyperacusis is gone - that made everything more difficult.

I think there is definitely hope that your sound will chill out either in reality or "in your mind" with time.

Definitely do not give up hope! :)

19. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      From a musician's standpoint, a hiss as a more diffuse sound would signify a more gentle t than tonal. Like someone not pressing down on the button of sound all the way in our brain. Think this change from a tone to a hiss would definitely be a good sign.

20. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Can you possible take a anxiety med when ever you want to just tone your T down? I kno its easier said then done cause they can be addicting and obviously way more since they help your T quiet... But yeah im thankful my Ts quiet i just want everyones to be also i know what the panic feels like and i just am really prayin that sooner then later something will bring everyones T down. Wish you luck!

21. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

I went from a hiss to a tone. Still changes from time to time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      The anxiety meds increased my liver values. So doctors no longer gave them to me. And I didn't want to take them anyway. I try fighting the battle just with AD meds (Mirtazapine). Take care.

• Genius Genius x 1
    23. JAKUB
      Approved

JAKUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/14
      My hissing sound is accompanied by ear fullness, like they need to pop but cannot. Sometimes it even hurts. Has anyone had this and can suggest any relief?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      I posted this before also.... mine is not hissing but more eeeeeeee but my left ears feels full and start to hurt if i'm in a silent room and do not mask a little. It like my inner ear or middle ear goes in hyperactive mode or something.
      I could find no relief of any sort to make it go away. Recently I just want to see what happens when I just let it go on.

25. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I have tones and hisses switching back and forth for time to time . but overall the volume is lower. Although it can still become louder sometimes as soon as I put my head on the pillow. General feeling is that if the tinnitus becomes a hiss than maybe the ears are trying to heal themselves . a good sign! Protect your ears and don't expose them to loud sounds. Many of us here would do anything to have that hiss instead of the annoying tone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yeah, when my T is at it's best then it's sort of like a tape hiss which barely bothers me at all.

27. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      For my a good day with T is when the lowest sounds already mask my T...but for some reason in a silent room it fills up my whole head....The contrast from silent to a little sound is realy bizar.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      well... think about the phosphenes you see in perfect darkness, vs with even a tiny amount of light in the room. The perceptual system abhors a vacuum.

29. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      same for me. I have days that any sound can coverup my T but when i go in a silent room it fills my whole head, buzzing, beeping but when i am walking in that silent room i dont hear it. Only when i am standing still. Very strange.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    30. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      the hiss sound is it like ssssssssssssssss? sounds a bit like white noise?