Tinnitus Changing From Tone to Hiss

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mpt, Apr 14, 2014.

1. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      10000% how my T is...walking in a silent room I hear nothing...the moment I stand still my whole head fills up. We were in a museum last year in Utrecht (TrainMuseum) .. I walked into a train which was a silent as could be and I heared nothing but the moment I stand still it takes 2 seconds and my head is full of T...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      It sounds like rice falling

3. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      The rice you can eat lol? Sounds like the gas turned on when coocking?

4. JAKUB
      Approved

JAKUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/14
      has anyone found anything that helps relieve this?

5. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      No the only thing that helps is not to pay atention to it. With me i have very low days and only hear it in silence. But also days i hear it all day long. Even over the tv.

6. LaurieR
      Nerdy

LaurieR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/1967
      I have been doing a Widex Zen tonal fractal therapy for a week now and my pulsating, cricket like, high pitch T went to a hissing sound. I work in a auto factory and while I am not required to wear ear plugs, I always have them in. Now with these tinnitus hearing aids, I wear over the ear muffs for hearing protection and can hear the fractal tones most of my shift. So within less than a week, this T changed to a hiss. I am glad to read others have had the same experience and see this as a positive as I do. With this therapy, I am much more relaxed. I guess that I am actually doing something is enough of a placebo if nothing else. I have read case histories on Widex Zen therapy through their website and so there is obvious bias. The doctor has given these to me to wear for a month as a demo pair for no charge. If I were to buy them, the hearing aids, it would be for $2400.00. My insurance would cover %70. Anyone else have any experience or thoughts.

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Mpt,
      Tinnitus can change in sound and strength and spike for no reason and in time you will get to know how your ears react and learn to stay calm and not panic.
      Your tinnitus sound should settle to your normal base sound after spikes come and go .
      Stay positive and happy give you any more advice so ask away if you need help...lol glynis

• Like Like x 1
    8. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      This is an old post.

Mpt no longer has tinnitus, he was cured by Trobalt:)

9. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      This sounds interesting. Please keep us posted on how it goes. Might even be worth a separate thread if there isn't one already.

10. LaurieR
      Nerdy

LaurieR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/1967
      Aaron123,
      I am in week 2 of Widex Zen Therapy. Nothing has changed. Though the audiologist thought that the change in the first week from a ringing to a hissing was a positive thing. Not sure if I am habituting or whatnot. In the Zen therapy, I have three programs and one is for relaxation and sleep. I am sleeping better. I work in a loud environment and I wear over the ear hearing protection and while at work I am listening to the Zen therapy. So I think this is better than when I wore regular ear plugs and heard mostly the ringing. I think this may take a couple of months to see any other improvements based on the clinical study done on this Zen Therapy and this study was an independent study. Also recommended with the Zen therapy is CBT. So I have had to change my thoughts about never hearing silence again. I have had some maladaptive thoughts regarding tinnitus. I think I have this figured out to where I am not thinking about it 24/7. The fractal tones are helpful and I look forward to putting the hearing aids on when I get up so I don't have to hear the hissing. The pulsating seems to have 90% gone. Just a straight hissing sound. This hissing is worse at work, noisy and activity level is up. I have read some posts about caffeine. I drink caffeine daily but I have cut back 50%. I haven't noticed anything different. I thought about cutting caffeine out completely but I have yet seen anyone say that this has definately has helped on a consistent basis. I will start a thread on this if I have any significant changes.

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing cervical spine exercises on a regular basis seems to give me less ring and more hiss (which is an improvement...)

12. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Would you mind sharing the exercises you do for cervical spine?
      Thanks!

13. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Mine is changing from glass scraping to more of a hiss. I've noticed it more the past two months. The words I was using to describe it the past year just don't quite fit anymore.

14. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

15. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Thank you very much for this video.
      Will definetly try it, I always have some short lived improvement after chiro so this may provide some better results.

How many repetitions of each exercise you did? How long before you noticed some improvement?

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I pretty much did it as in the video as far as repetitions; 4-6 of each. I'd say that after a couple weeks I noticed that my T was less bothersome, but, there is a lot of month-to-month variability in my symptoms in general.

• Like Like x 1
    17. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the video @linearb I will try those out.

Also just to add to this thread I too am one of those Tinnitus suffers who has hissing that turns in to ringing. Sometimes I can wake up in the morning with a light hiss in my left ear like there's air seeping out. Then by the evening it will be full blown ringing and it will take over my whole head. A bit like someone running their finger around a wine glass.

I think it is helpful to find others who have similar symptoms and onset of T so that we can collaborate and find a common cause and discuss what treatments work best.