Tinnitus, Cochlear Hydrops, Pitch Distortions: Please Chime in with Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Nick23, Aug 23, 2023.

?

If you've had cochlear hydrops, did your hearing eventually return?

1. Yes, partially

2. Yes, fully

3. No, but stabilized

4. No, and it continues to decline

5. I haven't had cochlear hydrops

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Nick23

Nick23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone,

I've been dealing with what started as a mild hearing loss in the higher frequencies back in April this year that has developed into further and more serious issues.

I did a round of oral Prednisone which helped a great deal but not 100%. Me being a musician, I wanted the hearing to be perfect. I opted for 5 Dexamethasone injections and by the last one I felt like there was no benefit and in fact subsequently my hearing has taken many turns for the worse.

I haven't posted too much on Tinnitus Talk but I look at it often in hopes (like many of us) that someone has a similar story who could share insight. *** I have searched the internet for a case like mine where, I feel like the steroid injections are what have caused further complications ***. I can't verify this obviously, but my unaffected right ear WAS 100% perfect. About 3-4 weeks after the last injection my right ear started to subjectively decline and has declined further since then for apparently no reason. After the 4th injection I had a hearing test which showed a new loss in the low frequencies in the original affected ear (left). The ENT just said "oh, well maybe you have Meniere's". I feel like the injection caused a trauma which led to this complication.

Last month I went to Columbia University hospital in NY City and had a consultation with Dr. Lawrence Lustig, a top neurotologist in NY. He ordered a CT and MRI scan and I will see him next week to discuss the results and for a hearing test. He thinks I have cochlear hydrops, because I have many of the symptoms (no vertigo or nausea so likely not Meniere's).

This post is long so kudos if you're still with me. I seemingly keep losing lower frequencies in both ears by the week/month. I did a few sessions of HBOT (hyperbaric oxygen therapy) which at the beginning absolutely felt like it was helping, but at the 4th session it seemed to set me back. I did have super mild tinnitus in the left ear from the hearing loss, but it's since become more pronounced. I felt it was due to fluid build up which I managed to get under control. I went back to the HBOT last week and stupid me, I did it again! Tinnitus is now quite noticeable even while outdoors. It took a few weeks for the last setback to go down so I'm hoping it will go back down again a second time.

*** I'm also experiencing pitch distortions where people's voices are heard in a slightly higher slightly robotic tone. The robotic thing is subtle but I hear it. Even my own voice sounds distorted some days. These distortions seem to fluctuate... *** The worst part of the distortions is that my partner's voice, because it's most familiar, I notice the most. Sometimes her voice sounds so high pitched/distorted that I become quite irritated (no fault of hers of course)... but it's so hard to deal with.

This is more of a getting things off my chest than anything. I know this group can be very supportive, also I've noticed it can be quite gloomy depending on what people are going through.

Whatever is happening to me I really feel like the injections started me on this downward spiral. I'm a 34-year-old male and have no medical history to speak of. Does anyone have any insight or perhaps a similar experience they can share? I've read on this forum that some people with cochlear hydrops have just gotten better with time which was very encouraging to read, but I've also read the opposite (of course).

I'm not looking for an evaluation of my case or diagnosis, more just searching for anyone who might have a similar experience.

Thank you for reading,
      Nick

• Hug Hug x 3